Reading Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crumpton, Jan 3, 2005.

1. crumpton

crumpton New Member

Does anyone out there have problems reading now? I used to be a teacher of first and second graders and found myself saying the wrong words at the wrong time. They loved that and helped me find the right words but when you are being evaluated!! there was a definite problem.

Plus I find when I am reading my morning newspaper that my eyes see the wrong word and letters in a word. Usually they are very strange changes and I know that I must reread because the newpaper would surely not say that!! I find my error and continue. THis happens a lot.

I love to read. Any one else with this problem??
    ANy Way to solve this?? I had to quit teaching because my brain refuses to cooperate.
  2. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

Hi Crumpton

I HAVE noticed a problem when reading--it seems like my brain "replaces" words that are in text. I see words that aren't there. I have noticed this, especially, when I have to read something quickly. It's happening with more frequency!!

I have a lot of trouble THINKING of a word, a name, or anything I'm want to tell another person. I know, this is something that happens OCCASIONALLY to people all the time--people who don't have fibro, who are not ill. However, it's happening to me about 90% of the time. How embarassing!!

Until my retirement, I was a paralegal and office manager for a law firm. I had to remember many, many things--statistics, names, dates, etc. Of course, I kept written records, but, gosh, I had to have a good short term memory. I COULD NOT do that job anymore!!

Guess this is just another thing some of us have to get used to!!

Have a good day.

Fairqueen
  3. Rosario

Rosario New Member

I know exactly what you mean about your eyes making strange changes to words in the newspaper etc. This happens frequently for me and - if I can get passed the frustration and fear of it all - some of the ways I (mistakenly)read things are hilarious.

I love to read and (pre-fibro) I used to read 3-4 books a week (even when working full-time etc.). Now, I have long periods of time when my lack of focus doesn't allow me to read easily, followed by short breakthroughs of focus when I can read to my heart's content.

I have a friend who does crossword puzzles to keep her brain sharp. Maybe this sort of exercise would be a help for us as well. Beyond that, I can't think of anything to help resolve the issue.

My best to you,
    Rose
  4. crumpton

crumpton New Member

I am glad to know that there are others out there and that this is not an isolated problem.

faiqueen, I sympathize with you because I am having a very difficult time accepting this DD. my physician says that I have to just accept this and go on but I'm still learning what I can do during my going on!! frustrating!!

I thought about getting the tapes to listen to books but I don't think I could comprehend these because I am not an auditory learner. I need to touch, see to remember something or that is the way I used to learn.

Maybe the meds do have something to do with this. I don't know. Even my spelling is lacking now. Thank you for your responses
  5. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I have always had a problem with reading(but I Loved to read) when this hit me I went for a couple of years not reading anything because the words jumped around ,and I just could not stay focused on what I was trying to read.I can read short stories out of a mag. now but even thats hard.
    Something I realized when I was sick I have Always read a news paper from the back page foward.I cant break it ,I have no reason why I do this it just seem right.
    I have always had trouble remembering how to spell words when I was in school all of that has gotten worse sence Ive been this Ill.
    Something that does seem strange to me now is I can read and stay focused better if I am reading from the computer.I think thats why I'm on this so much.To bad I didnt have one in school with a spell check.;)
    Have a good Day!
  6. fairqueen

fairqueen New Member

I really appreciate them. I can see where using a ruler to help keep focused would be very helpful! And, reading outloud would also help with concentration.

Thank you so much for your helpful hints.

Fairqueen
  7. moxiepup

moxiepup New Member

Hi: Besides the pain the thing I hate the most is my in ability to read. I used to read 3-4 books a wk easy while working full time and keeping a household running.

I noticed before I got sick I was having trouble reading, I thought it was my glasses, as it was around XMAS time I put off the eye exam, then all hell broke loose, I got sick as a dog and ended up with FMS/CFIDS, and a bunch of other stuff.

I have found just within the last wk or so I can read and retain parts of the newspaper...YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe this ability will come back, I hope so I truly love getting immersed in books, I love to look at them, I love everything about them. O.K. O.K. I know I'm getting carried away. :)

take care,

gail
  8. tilla

tilla New Member

I just wanted to add that I read magazines backwards - back to front. I don't seem to do it with newspapers though.

Tilla
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Are you a water drinker? I know this is a strange question, but I did not drink water unless I had to swallow a pill.

I read a book called; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies, and Lupus' by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

According to this doctor most Americans are suffering from dehydration. If our bodies do not get the proper amount of water, it will drain the water from our brains to furnish the other organs.

I started drinking plain water, exactly what he recommended, half my body weight in ounces of water a day, along with a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt (also deficient in the minerals) throughout the day.

In about a weeks time, my ability to read and retain what I was reading was back! I have been an avid reader since I was a small child.
    I have a library of over ten thousand books, basically all subjects. This was one of the biggest heartbreaks of having FM for me. I had so much trouble understanding what I was reading, after spending a life time being such a tremendous reader.

The only time I have a problem now, is if I am stressed, or very tired. Then the words will jumble themselves together, and I will have to re-read sentences. Other than that I am doing fine.

The doctor has a website called; WaterCure I am sure you can find it. Its quite an eye opener what we do to ourselves when we do not drink water. If you drink sodas, it is not going to help, in fact it makes you more dehydrated.

I do have problems with words when I am speaking, but not nearly as bad as it was before I started the watercure.

Its cheap, so give it a try if you are not a water drinker.

I have to measure the amount of water for the day, as I never get thirsty! I keep the two bottles by the computer so I do not forget to drink it.

Hope this helps you as much as it has for me.

Shalom, Shirl

10. posey1

posey1 New Member

I have always loved to read. I use to read everything I could get my hands on. Now since this CFS/Fibro I do find that my words get all mixed up too. I can look at a word and it appears as another word and only when it doesn't make sense to me that I figure out that I've read it wrong. I read magazines from back to front too. Also, if someone is talking too much or too fast I can't understand what they are saying to me because I loose my concentration.
  11. crumpton

crumpton New Member

Thank you for all the suggestions. As a former teacher I should have thought of using a ruler or marker to show me the line I am reading also should have known about reading aloud because that helps with comprehension.

The water really hit home. I do not drink enough water I know, except to take pills.

Shirl, how do you figure your amount to drink? I take my weight and then divide by 2 instead of being pounds this will be ounces and this is what I should drink?? Is this correct?

I am little slow anymore in trying to figure out math problems. Another reason I had to quit teaching is that I was having problems with math.

Thank you again for everyones advice and help.
  12. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I have almost the same problem. I belong to 3 book clubs.
    I buy books and then can not read them. I can not focus or concentrate. I started to order books from the library and I have the same problem. I skip lines, suddenly do not know what a word mean or just lose the meaning. It is a problem also for me. And the verbal word jumble.
    NyroFan
  13. ckm

ckm New Member

I did a search on "reading backwards" and came up with this. I not only read magazines from the back to front but if I'm looking at an article I'll start reading from the bottom paragraph to the top. I have to force myself to start at the top. This is really weird. Maybe I should drink more water too.

Anyone else have this paragraph problem too?

LOL
    ckm
  14. ckm

ckm New Member

15. shadow205

shadow205 New Member

Wow, how weird! I had no idea that this was related to Fibrobmyalgia. I always do this. I also catch myself sometimes starting at the bottom of a paragraph and reading upwards. Now that I am learning more about Fibro, I think that I started having symptoms several years before I realized it. I think my first symptom was the problem with reading, not being able to follow what I was reading,words getting out of place and trouble comprehending what I had read. I just quit reading. I wonder if there has been any studies done regarding reading problems and Fibro?
  16. suemp

suemp New Member

I have been having reading problems for many years especially reading out loud. Now when I'm at Church I speak very quietly because I was making so many mistakes and didn't want anyone to hear them. Also have the problem you mention about reading an incorrect word and having to reread it because the text doesn't make any sense. This seems to be a fairly new problem for me. Wonder what causes this? suemp