Reading the Bible

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Lms526, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

There is something that has really been bugging me lately and I just need to get it off my chest. First of all, a little background. I love to read. It is one of my favorite ways to spend my spare time. I don't even want to THINK about how much I have invested in books. Anyway, over the last couple of months (due to severe depression) my ability to concentrate and comprehend what I read is almost nil. I know that is all part of the depression, but it's still really annoying.

Some days, I find myself reading the same words over and over and I still can't comprehend it. But I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that the same thing happens when I try to read the Bible. I want to read it, and I know I should. But when I open it up and try to read, I just can't seem to concentrate.
    I feel incredibly guilty because I know that daily Bible reading is something that I need to do. I've found that I can't pray either. My mind wanders and I just can't seem to find the words. Sometimes I feel like that cartoon character that has the little black cloud over his head and it just keeps raining no matter how much he moves.

Please also pray that I would have the courage to reach out for help. I feel like I'm drowning. I know that I need to get counseling and probably meds, but I just don't have the energy to make the call. But I am SO sick of feeling this way.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent and for your prayers. Take care and God Bless,

Lms526
  2. Alary

Alary Member

Hi,
    I have felt like this at times, either due to some medication, life getting in the way, or during a period of trying times. What I found that helped was a little book called "Precious Promises" which only has a single Bible verse on each page. It is a tiny little hard back book, a church friend gave it to me many years ago.

Perhaps you could go to a website by doing a search for an uplifting Bible verse for the day or a list of what verse to look for in times of special need. A whole chapter of the Bible can seem too big a chunk to chew at times, while a special verse can be a handhold.

In the meantime, I will say a prayer for you.

Edited to apologize for mixing metaphors. LOL![This Message was Edited on 01/29/2007]
  3. caffey

caffey New Member

Don't be so hard on yourself. Even though you think you aren't absorbing anything. It goes into your spirit and verses will come to you when you need them that you consciously don't remember.
    Some simple suggestions.
    1. Just read one verse at a time.
    2. Do you have the Bible on cassette, cd or whatever so you can put it on and listen to it.
    3. With prayer I have the attention span of a toad right now. So I write my prayers out in my journal.
    4. You might want to write out a verse. It might help you to focus.
    There used to be a thing out years ago called a bread box. It was shaped like a loaf of bread and each day you pulled out a card with a verse on it. I don't know if they are still available.
    This is a season just rest and know that God loves and won't hit you over the head or send you to hell if you don't read your Bible. Oh one last thought. Do you a someone like a child ( tell them they are practising their reading) read you a verse. Sometimes when I am so sick I ask my girlfriend to read some Psalms to me.
    Blessings and feel better soon.
    Cath
  4. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

Getting a lot on your plate can make it hard to concentrate. (my problem sometimes)

With love and prayers,
    PC
  5. webintrig

webintrig New Member

I feel that way too. I have FMS/CFS and those are some of the problems that comes with the condition of.

I heeded the suggestions that have been made here and it has helped me.

I will be praying for you and again down be so hard on yourself!

Love,
    webby

6. LOVED

LOVED New Member

Often when I try to read my Bible or pray, life interrups with things I think of I need to do. So I have found it helpful to keep a pad of paper next to me, and when the thought pops into my mind, I write it down. Then go back to reading or praying. The "distractions" stop interrupting because I have acknowledged them and moved on.

I also find that journaling my prayer is more effective for me. It keeps me focused.

I also try to not beat myself up if I miss reading or praying for a day. God knows exactly my condition and my fibro fog. What He is looking at is my heart attitude.

Another trick you might try is to select certain verses that your spirit needs now(in your current situation) and post them around to house.

God has promised that His word will not return void. So you can trust that whatever way you try to stay connected to Him and His word will be honored.

LOVED
  7. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Boy Lms526, I can sure relate to what you are saying.

I have always had to try so hard to concentrate on anything all my life though. I was diagnosed with ADD and have to sit in the front row at church so I can concentrate on what is said and not miss anything from having my mind wander or being distracted by those around me.

It took me a long time to really be able to consentrate and read and pray as well. I have to constantly stop and get myself back to it.

Maybe your mind is just packed with too many other things right now and you may need to deal with those things before you can have the reading and prayer life you had before.

I know that the different Pain Diseases you may be dealing with also may be part of the problem, since pain and dealing with it can bring about depression and worries and a lack of concentration as well.

I will pray for you, I want you to know you are not alone though, you are never alone. We are here for you.

God Bless you

hugs
    kgangel
  8. Lms526

Lms526 New Member

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied to my post. It still isn't easy, but I know that I definitely have a problem with being too hard on myself. A lot of people lately have been telling me not to be so hard on myself. But as they say, old habits die hard and for me, being hard on myself is an extremely old habit.

I also want to say that I don't have fibromyalgia or Chronic fatigue or anything like that. I do have very severe depression and chronic insomnia. My heart goes out to all of you who do struggle with chronic pain. I honestly don't know how you do it. But I'm glad I found this board.

Blessings,
    Lms526[This Message was Edited on 02/05/2007]