Reading "The Highly Sensitive Person"by Elaine N. Aron. Ph.D.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I've just started this book. It's good and easy to follow so far. My daughter, my son, my grandson and I are highly sensitive people my husband is not. Thank you for talking about this book on this forum.
    Dee50
  2. orachel

orachel New Member

here, and I'm picking it up from the library today (they had to get it sent from across the state! Must be popular!). I think I must have been a "highly sensitive" person (mentally and physically) since loooong before I realized anything like FM was wrong with me.

Glad to know someone else here is reading it at same time! Did you also have "Fibromyalgia for Dummies" and "Fibromyalgia....." by some Starlyte guy (man, I'm foggy today!...can't remeber the whole name of book or author! lol) recommended to you? I'm getting them to read also. Great recommendations for books and articles so far from the people here...Aren't we lucky? ;)

Rachel
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm reading and using Eat Right for Your blood Type (6 books, tons of reading!) and now The Highly Sensitive Person. I see myself all over the first chapter of the book and answered yes 22 times on the self test. When you get the book let me know what you score an the self test. I have to be clear headed enough to read it. I'm a fogggg head sometimes well lots of the time :)
    I think you'll like the book, parts me make you sad as you are thinking about past things in your life.
    Dee50
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

Stormyskye's referrals, isn't it? Not sure, but in my book, that woman is the guru of all that is healthy and right about treating this illness! I want to read that one too! Since we're both in this "research" mode on our illness, lets make sure we keep track of each other, ok? And yeah, I'll post results of test when I get book. I'm thinking I'll have a lot of yesses. Someone yesterday (can't remember who...big surprise, right? lol) posted a list of like 40 symptoms and asked if it sounded like FM....I literally had all but 2 of them! And I've only been sick (was VERY sudden...literally overnight!) since June 14, 05!!! GRRRRRR.... I hate this DD. But at this point, I'm trying to be angry and proactive, and stop all the feeling sad and worthless and feeling sorry for myself, because I know it isn't doing me any good!

So, I'll let you know how I do! And I'm worried that after I get these from the library, I'm gonna want to go buy all of them for my personal library. Worried that might get expensive! Will have to show restraint, I guess.

Rachel
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

your old post about Dr Bronner's soap! Have you bought it yet? You can use that stuff (I'm talking the basic soap in the clear bottle with blue label with all the writing) for anything! Seriously, can brush your teeth with it, or take a dry bath, or bring down a fever...miraculous stuff. I used it all thru my childhood (parents were hippies...), but havent had any for a few years. I'm going to run out today (yeah, lol...like I can RUN!) and get some asap. My godmother used nothing but that on her skin since she was 15 or 16...she's now mid 50's and has about the same amount of wrinkles I do....I just turned 30!

Anyway, thanks for the blast from the past!

Ps..and if you ever need a boost emotionally, you can just read the Label! Soap is amazing, but Dr Bronner must be a little wacky if you read his mantra. It's pretty interesting and funny as heck.[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2005]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is actually a woman doctor who has FMS. She has written several books and they are excellent.

Love, Mikie
  7. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

And it's so accurate and gives tips on how to handle life, people, social situations if your a HSP.
  8. orachel

orachel New Member

Dr Bronner's soap is liquid soap made of some type of peppermint oil or something. Don't really know. But it's liquid, comes in largeish shampoo like bottle, with blue label covered in writing (Dr bronners personal philosophy...which is a riot and kind of inspirational) and uses for the soap...so many I could never remember or list them all....

Washing body, face, hair
    teeth brushing
    laundry
    cleaning
    disenfecting
    dry bathing
    bringing down fevers
    circulation stimulation

Stuff might even work in lieu of gasoline, I have no idea, but it's amazing schtuff. Plus, I wake up mondo groggy. This is so fresh and zingy and pepperminty that totally wakes you up. I'm so glad I stumbled onto it mentioned here, cause I'd totally forgotten about this miracle stuff.

Plus, it's totally cheap (maybe like $12 for a gigantic bottle...you need very very little to be very very frothy...only a few drops or so), one bottle lasts me like a year! And, its totally pure and all natural.

Definitely worth the trip to the health food store. Supposedly Dr Bronner makes other products, but I'm not familiar with them at all. But hey, maybe I'll go hunting on the internet or something for others, cause the soap is really good. I once went camping and Dr bronners and deodorant were only toiletries I needed for whole week.

RE: MILKIE'S BRILLIANCE....Milkie...Your recommendation to read Devin Starlanyl was what I was trying to think of in post when I said "some starlte dude" or something. Holy fogginess!

And theres no need for anyone to order books if you're not sure you'll like them. I can call my library ahead, tell them what I'm looking for, and they'll get it for me from anywhere in the state (often will even order a book I need). Then they ship to my library 5 mins from my house. This way, on a bad day, I can call ahead and have all books waiting for me to pick them up. Also, many libraries have delivery service if you can't get out much. I can't do much, but I do try to get to library every few weeks!
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I figured that was the name you were trying to remember. It's a strange name.

I do buy some books because I reread them or parts of the over and over.

My daughter just got the book, "Baby Whisperer." She actually had in in-person consultation with this woman who is a pediatric nurse and has had five children of her own. She has a special way with babies.

My new grandson is a "sensitive baby." When he is changed, bathed, dressed, etc., he needs to be soothed and talked calmly to. It makes all the difference in how he tolerates things he doesn't like.

Perhaps, many of us have been sensitive all our lives. I know I have been. I want to read this book. We have a brand new library just down the road and as soon as I feel up to it, I'm going to pay a visit.

Love, Mikie
  10. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I wonder if they will have this book over here in UK???

When I was diagnosed with fibro I went to our library and they did not have ONE single book on the subject!!!!That is UK and fibro for you lol.

This sounds like a really good read.....I hope they have it over here.Sensitive is my middle name lol

Rena

11. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Yes It is good and worth buying. I'm going to have to read it several times (parts of it). Yes, I'm a highly sensitive person since birth. There is alot of healing in the words of the book :)
    I bought Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds for washing cloths and general house cleaning, wood floors ect. Love it. I'm going to get a big bottle of the peppermint tommorrow. Blue label right and you can use it for everything sound great.
    See ya
    Dee50
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Haven't heard of it, sounds good.

jeanne
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If it's peppermint, those of us on the Guai could not use it. For everyone else, it sounds wonderful.

Love, Mikie
  14. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

I've been using Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap for years. I believe the blue label is peppermint, but he has other flavors as well. I use the almond (green label). There's also lavender and eucalyptus. Pure Potassium Castile Soap -

The label itself is a hoot! Sure to get a smile or two just from the label.

There is a website for Dr. Bronner's soaps. I'm sure it's easy to find for those interested.

Love, Laurie
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Cannot use any products which contain salicylates or botanicals. We have to read labels for hidden sals all the time. Sounds as though, at least, we would get a kick out of reading these labels.

Love, Mikie
  16. Muddieanne

Muddieanne New Member

Excellent book, I underlined many sections that I re-read.Only 1 or 2 characteristics don't apply to me but most really sound like me.

I learned so much from reading it and will get her other books.

Marie
  17. orachel

orachel New Member

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Wonderful suggestion DEE 50!, and I also add my "FIVE STAR" rating to the raves of everyone else! lol...And yes, will actually have to purchase a copy of this one....like so many have said, its a good one to have around to be able to reread and refer to!

LBCONSTABLE...Had no idea came in other flavors! Will look into it immediately as we're going into colder months (in OHIO), and the one thing about the peppermint is that its so dang invigorating and energizing, that it also happens to make me EXTRAORDINARILY FREEZING on those cold winter mornings when I bathe with it in my drafty old house! LOL
    I'm thinking one of the more subtle fragrances will be just what the doc ordered during chillies, or even on days when having issues with skin sensitivity, which can be a huge issue for me. THANKS SO MUCH for the info...I'm off to the website now!

And MILKIE...Oh man....I am SO RELIEVED you posted about the possible interraction with GUAI (not sure what that is...will have to look it up in my new snazzy fantastic holistic dictionary that ya'll motivated me to buy!). I'm also tadly concerned because I've recommended Thera-gesic analgesic ointment to a few with massive body aches/joint pain...it contains mucho mucho peppermint oil. Now I'm all worried about someone else not knowing this and using and having a bad reaction. Please tell me that most peeps on this Guai schtuff are aware of the issue with peppermint/herbals overall? If you think its likely that some are not aware, but using this Guai, could you possibly post a little post re: dangers of reactions with Guai and Peppermint? So sorry to ask, but I flat out cannot remember the few people I've recommended it to, nor do I know enough about the possible problem to give any sort of helpful caution. I would feel flat out WRETCHED if anything I recommended caused any sort of reaction weirdness for any one of us. Like we really need the extra lil health problem on top of DD, right?
    Thanks so much for piping in here....I really think you might have kinda saved the day in a big way.

Thanks again,
    Rachel
  18. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Sal Suds
    Great for cloths and hand washing dishes. 1/4 a cup does a big load of cloths, 1 1/2 teaspoons for a sink of dishes. I also get the peppermint and eucalyptus big bottles for the shower, love them both.
    I'm glad you like The Highly sensitive person I do to. I thank the person that posted it I don't remember who it was but...thank you thank you.
  19. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I'm sure most people on guai knows that they are suppose to avoid anything containing sals, don't worry about it too much, I think all of us on guai have read the book.
    We know that you only mean well!

Phoebe
  20. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

bumping for Highly Sensitive People