Ready for christmas with my hand axe!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Nov 24, 2008.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Anyway, I've ordered an achulean handaxe........I've always wanted one. I was able to justify getting it so as to give to my brother for christmas. Should be a unique gift.

It's about 250,000 thousand years old, and costs less than filling a gas tank. There are so many of them that you don't have to worry about messing up an archealogical site.

The axes were used for about a million years and were the tool of choice (and status symbol?) by ancient man. Mine's kind of a flinty red color and five inches long.

A lot of controversy about how they were used......perhaps a precusor to modern discus throwing..... so I'm looking forward to trying it out for weight, balance, and throwing acurracy.

Plus I'll have a Plan B if the economy keeps crashing.

Cheeeers, your mr Billl

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Mr Bill. You'll be prepared as a Boy Scout if your Yule log needs trimming.

Never heard of Acheulean handaxes before, but I looked on the web. The knife is named after St. Acheul. Never heard of such a Saint? There doesn't seem to be one. It's a place in France.

Now if the axes had been discovered a little to the South and East, we might be calling them Swiss Army Knives.

3. therealmadscientist

Swiss army knives called Swiss army rocks before they modernized?

E-bay has some pictures of handaxes for sale. The Mousterian style nice, but I prefer the heft of the Achulean. Some really big ones! Cheers, mr bill
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Googled this axe,,,a very interesting primitive tool! They sort of look like the native american Arrow heads that we found as kids in the creek where we lived,,,,,,just one question~~~are you planning to retrive a x-mas tree with this new axe? Before you give it to your brother?,,,,,,,lol..kidding!,,,,,S
  5. therealmadscientist

My brother loved the handaxe, and it was quite the hit at his Christmas party. The 200,000 year warranty was especially popular! Fortunately, a fun party so no one used it seriously.
    Cheers, your Mr Bill

BILLCAMO New Member

I hurled my axes , stones , rocks , words (insults) , etc. at the politicians. Even though none of them traveled more than 3 feet ....... they MAY have hit someone...... :>( . So I'm in jail for "a salt" .........LOL :>)

Blessings ,

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

What a hoot!! Such a unique gift. I will keep it in mine for next Xmas as my brother in law loves things like this.

I do have one complaint. Since reading your post, I keep hearing the sound track of Psycho when Janet Lee was in the shower. Weird as it was a knife, that did her in. Wonder what Freud would say? WWFS?

I will help bail you out if people are taking up a collection, as soon as the song stops playing in my head. It may be a long haul!!

Maybe someone can send you a cake, wink, wink.

[This Message was Edited on 01/16/2009]

BILLCAMO New Member

I bit into the cake BEFORE I saw your answer......:>( OUCH ! ;>)

The file is in good shape , but , some of my teeth aren't.....:>)

The cake was very good though! LOL

Blessings ,

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

OMG!! That was not a read cake, it was cardboard with frosting on it!!

I hope you are okay. At least you got your fiber for the day.

To tell you the truth, if I had baked a cake, it would have tasted worse. So I guess it is all relative.

I do have some relatives that are good cooks but somehow I did not get the gene!!

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2009]