Real Tree? or Fake Tree for xmas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Dec 9, 2006.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I Love the smell of a real Tree in the house this time of year, but since the girls are grown and gone It just seems easier to have a Fibor Optic 2 footer now!........................Just wondering what everyone eles does for a Tree?
  2. TKE

TKE New Member

I only decorate at Christmas. No kids now, all gone out on their own. I decorate for US! I've always loved a big tree & tons of decorations. I still decorate 2 archways on both sides, staircase, 5 wall shelves, kitchen windows, tables, stands, etc.

Huz puts up a ton of lights outside. We use motion lights on the porch columns(6 of them- they remind you of the old barber poles as the lights do their motion thing), a huge wreath/bow with lights, spinning wheel lights(they do 8 different things) around 3 windows & door, a lighted Nativity, a cascading light stick tree in the yard & a snowman. We have people stop in cars to see it all each year. Itll be a sad day when we can no longer do it. If Huz had his way he'd add a ton more lights. I just keep hearing the electric meter clicking away :0.

Our house has 9 foot celinings. Every year I'd insist on a tree that touched the ceiling. Used a step ladder to decorate it. Piled on the lights & decorations until it was loaded to the max.

We started having trouble find a nice 9 foot tree that wasn't all trimmed over summer to look like a gum drop. So we caved in & bought a 7.5 foot artifical tree. Had a 8 foot ordered, but they couldn't get it for us. So I went for the Martha Stewart brand, as they look more real than most. It's has the hinged branches, which makes it easy to set up. So this is our 3rd year using it.

It's so nice not to have to crawl under it to water it, crawl on the floor for a whole day cleaning up pine needles, etc. I do miss the pine smell. I have parrots, so I can't even use air freshners/sented candles/etc. Oh well at least it's all lite up ;).

My neighbors are in their 70's & he jokes about going thru the tourture of setting up their tree. It's about 3 foot tall with the fibor optic lights. He puts a plactic bag on it & carries it the the attic each year, LOL. All he has to do each Christmas is plug it in. He doesn't even take the balls/decorations off.

I figure as long as I can handle setting up a big tree I will. When my Huz & I can't make it to the attic to drag the tree sections down then I'll go for a tiny one on the table.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

noble fir that was cut down somewhere near Taos, New Mexico. It doesn't have that rich pine smell like the Christmas trees I remember as a child in Minnesota. We have lights on it, but haven't put tinsel or ornaments on it yet.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Sounds like alot of fun regardless, of Real or fake! When i was growing up we Cut trees every fall and Hauled them to town in my dads old truck where they were tied in bundles and shipped out on trains or trucks to other locals like utah or Wyomming ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,To be sold in tree lots! I used to work in tree yards growing up also! sorting them by size and type, anywhere from 2 ft to 14 ft! Was fun but alot of work!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But would give us christmas money! and working out in the fresh air was a plus also ! I used to decorate alot every year but for some reason it just seems like the more decore the more work so now i'm a lite decorater!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,living in an apartment has alot to do with down sizeing also! I Love all the decrated Houses Too! My favorite kind of tree is a Balsam Fir, the Needles are very smooth and yes Ken the Noble Firs are very Nice also! There are alot of tree farms up this way! Scoth pine and Grand and Douglas fir are the main types grown!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Does anyone Have Decorating House contests where they Live?
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

2 1/2 footer for us!!!! Love it, it doesn't have the crazy colors, just red and gold and it's really pretty.

I took some of the new small beeded garlands and strung them on and it looks pretty in the daytime too.

Happy Holiday Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

We're worried about having a house fire, so fake suits us now. I do miss the wonderful smell of a real tree, though. When I go past them at the store, I always lean in to take a deep sniff......We have our tree decorated with cranberry beads, candy canes and lots of blue and green lights. It's pretty!
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

We used to have a fake tree and a real tree until I was about 5, then everyone's allergies just got too bad to have a real tree in the house. We've had a fake tree since then.

I tried to get like a 1 foot tiny real pine last year and ended up having a bad asthma attack and consequently giving poor Fredrick (yes, I name ALL my plants) to Gramma to put in her loving care. He lived over a year there.
  8. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

We have a grape-vine tree that stands year-round in the corner of our living-room. At Christmas, we move the tree to a more prominent place in the room and decorate it with coloured lights, candy canes and ornaments. It looks lovely!

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

I remember Naming Trees also! like the tall skinny ones with very few branches were called "Charlie Brown" trees! and some of the grand fir's were called the "Biggin",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And the tree that Had no chance at all of finding a Home for X-mas was called a "Cull",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lol
  10. mary124

mary124 New Member

No real trees for us-- good old fake green tree! I decorated it this weekend, looks pretty good, not as good as it usually does, but when the person who usually does it have a broken arm and the person who is doing it doesn't feel so good, what can I say?? All in all, it doesn't look too bad.
  11. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

Son has to mant allergies!!
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

So nice! So much less expensive. No disposal.

Ah, the beauty of plastic.

13. sisland

sisland New Member

are so much Fun! The Fake tree is making a big Hit don't ya think? Fight I Love what you said about a Real Man to carry the Real Tree in and out etc!! also it gives the kitties something new to check out and play with!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs To All! p.s. That reminds me ! once or twice over the years we had a tree stand that didn't work right and we ended up duct taping the tree to the wall to get it to stand up! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh The Good old Day's!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2006]
  14. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

It's just not bio degradable. LOL It's a prelit 7 1/2 footer.

It has over 300 ornaments in cobalt blue and gold. I love it.

All of my childrens growing up years we had live cedars we trudged out and cut our selves and all the colors of christmas on the tree.

The last live tree/trees we had caused quite a ruckus between my husband and I. I was unable to go on the hunt for the tree and the tooth pick he brought back was a down right shame.

I sent him back and he brought 2 more in with the smart remark that it was the best he could do.

We ended up tying 3 trees together to get something that resembled "one" tree.

That was about the time I was having severe back problems and the last thing I did before my surgery was go out and but an artificial tree. We used that thing until it was shedding needles. Talk about bad.

So now I have "my" tree and I like it. Don't know if I will out last it or it out last me but for the time being were happy with one another.

How ever I do miss the wonderful smell of the cedar trees and if I happen to pass by one I grab an itchy handful of greenery and crush it and in hale deeply

If this horrid flare lets up and lets me live, I plan to do a lot of cedar boughs on my tables this year.

15. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool story about your tree misshaps!! My Mom and Dad went through the same thing every year! The Tree was To skinny etc! Lol lol ! I'm so Happy you Have a Great one now! Bless you!

Fight \: actually i was Raised in Red Neck Country!lol and yes I'm a Hick! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I would love a real tree but I have allergies and have not had a real tree sence I was a little girl.

Fake trees can be beautiful also. I think trees should bring Happy Memories that's what brings a history of your family through Generations. If you do not have family things you have collected then how you choose to decorate should be special to your liking .

I rotate years with how I decorate .I Love Artistic things and that is my talent God gave me, so How I decorate my trees is a reflection of my gifts back to God. This year I am doing a simple tree with musical eggs and then I Plan to give them as gifts to my nieces and nephews for Christmas.

My mother passed away and when she was alive she collected music boxes .So that is a memory I can share with them.

sorry I carried on so long just felt like sharing something special.

Well I wont be back home for Christmas this year but I will save them and when I go home at Christmas some year I'll take them to them.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2006]
  17. sisland

sisland New Member

For sharing your artistic talent for Decorating! I Feel that Christmas is the Most Fabulous Holiday Because it Represents the Birth of Jesus! And i Keep that in Mind as much as possible through out the season as i'm sure we all do!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Happy Holidays To You and your Family!.,,,,,,,,Sydney