Really bad pain, Like spasm in right arm

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by schaken, Sep 10, 2008.

1. schaken

schaken New Member

Hi all,
    Haven't posted in a while. My son and his girlfriend got married and now I am to be a grandmother again, in March. My granddaughter will just be 2 years old

My problem is my right arm starts in upper arm then cramps all the way down my arm into the top of my hand,

This has been going on for close to 2 weeks. Getting worse each day.

Problem. My PCM specialzes in chiropractric. (Military Dr) She is always trying new push and pulls on me. It takes at least 3 or 4 weeks for that pain to go awy. Any suggestions on how to get her to send me to physical therapy?

Thank for any advice,,

Is this just a different fibro thing?
  2. kel78

kel78 Member

I've got kind of a similar thing going on, but instead of pain, I have "pins and needles" and numbness running down from my right shoulder into my hand. This has been going on for probably most of the year, and getting worse, so I finally went to my doctor. He suspected a pinched nerve (which is what I suspected) and ordered cervical x-rays, which showed moderate degenerative disc disease in my cervical spine. So I'm starting P.T. on Monday.

Have you had any x-rays to look for something like this? Hope you find your answer! I know how frustrating it is trying to get to the bottom of all our weird symptoms.

3. schaken

schaken New Member

This weird disease started as numbness and tingling on my left side. They originally thought that I had had a stroke.

Then it went to my right side. This has just become severe in the last day and is different than anything I have felt before.

Like others here I have to work. I know that I will probably be told to lay off work for a week or so. I can't take any anti-spadmodic tye drugs because my heart will go into arterial fibrillation (sp) again.

I am on comudin and blood pressure medication to control this.

Thank you for replying.

4. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Hi shaken! I agree with Kel that it could be a pinched nerve. I've had that too (as part of muscle issues related to CIFDS).

Any pain that extends down a leg or arm like that sounds like a pinched nerve to me. I'd try to stretch your neck and shoulders gently (as that maybe where the pressure is coming from). Are you sitting a lot at a computer screen (hunched over a lot)? Or have you changed your posture/daily activities at all? I noticed that when I started working in from of my computer more I got sharp pains down my arm and down my leg.

Another thing to try is applying heat to area in between shoulders and around next (esp. works when reclined).

Hope it goes away FAST!! :)
  5. schaken

schaken New Member

Hi all,
    I have had no changes in lifestyle. Only sit at the computer an hour a day (and not all at same time).

Can't for the life of me figure it out.

Started pressing on muscles, joints etc to see where the pains starting point is. Feels like the inner part of my shoulder near the bone.

Hope this helps.

6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

Inner part of shoulder sounds like it could be pinched nerve- like towards the spine? If you have pain down your arm, radiating, and can find the pain higher up your nerves (towards spine and neck) that sounds like a nerve because that's the route it follows.

I've had that and it sucks!

Do anti-inflammatories (advil, ibruprofen, etc) help? I suggest using them to get the pressure down.

7. schaken

schaken New Member

Thanks for the advice. All I can take for pain, because of heart problems and hyppertension is tylenol. Strating taking it 2 days ago every 4 hours . It seems to be working. Along with a heating pad.

Tahnk you alll came through for me again.