REALLY hate trying 2 get plan info from ins companies

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Nov 27, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have had Aetna Medicare advantage since I have been on medicare, and overall I have been relatively happy with it.....however, they are no longer providing insurance where I live. So, I am trying to get info on the plans that are available and they won't tell me anything. Seriously. I am sooooo frustrated and PO'd. Why on earth do they think that anyone would choose their plan w/o knowing what it covers? When I went thru this process before, it took a long time to look up all the things that I need insurance for, the various drs, etc the costs/copays, etc for each company, but at least that info was available. Now, the only things I have been able to find out (thru phone calls and online) are whether the plans are HMO, PPO, etc, what the cost per month is, and drug tiers costs....NOTHING else.

At the very least, I need to know if my counselor, foot doctor, regular dr, asthma meds, orthotics, chiro, PT, etc are covered, and how much/ what limits, etc. I can't even find out which drugs fall under which tiers, and which Drs & pharmacies are in net-work, let alone the rest of that stuff. I have medicare and medicaid, but there are pretty much no drs around here that take them, so they are useless unless I need to go to the I really need to know more about these plans.

I realize that the plans vary depedning on where you live and other factors, but does anyone here have Humana (PFFS, PPO), Healthspring (HMO) or Evercare (HMO) and can tell me anything at all about them (if you have been happy with them, if you know someplace where I can find out more about them, anything)?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Maybe you've already done this? If you go to, and click on "compare health plans", it will take you to a page which has all the available Medicare plans for your area. Then you click on individual plans to get more info, to see what costs are etc. and you can go to the plan home pages to find out if your doctors are on their list, same with prescription drug coverage I believe. It's a pretty good website.

Also, Medicare should have sent you a booklet for the year 2010, which also lists all the plans in your area.

3. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I'm sorry you are having such a stressful time of it. I'll be needing this information myself in just a year, so I'm glad you posted this.

Mary, thank you for your help. I'll bet others need the info. too.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

the booklet doesn't tell me what I need to know, and I had assumed that going to the medicare website would link me to the same individual company sites and/or the same info that is in the booklet....however, after you suggested going there, I decided I might as well try it, and it is the most comprehensive of all the places I have looked.....still doesn't tell me a couple of things that I need to know (like if there are visit limits, etc), but does help more than the other thanks for the suggestion

<sigh> I want my old plan back....looks like all the new possibilities are going to cost me a lot more than I can afford

and thanks Fay.....I hope that you have better luck than I am having when you get to this point[This Message was Edited on 11/29/2009]
  5. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

I don't have any suggestions, just a gripe..

Isn't it wonderful that they make people do this during the
    holidays?! I think that's on purpose; they could have the plans
    available in Aug or Sept and make them effective from Nov 1, and
    people would have plenty of time to review and decide which is
    best for them before the hectic rush of two major holidays, don't
    you think?

I think the insurance companies don't want us to be able to
    decide to change; they don't want people to be able to compare
    coverages and 'jump ship' to another plan...heaven help them if
    a 'public option' becomes available!!

Good luck auntie; I hope you are feeling a little stronger and
    carrying on with waiting for some scientific answers for us all!

Luv n hugs,