Really need some comfort

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by btrekker, Jun 12, 2008.

1. btrekker

btrekker New Member

I really am in need of some comfort right now.

Today I had to put my dog and best friend of 16 wonderful years to sleep. She was a Scottie and her name was Cassie.

We got her right before my world fell apart and she gave me and my children so much unconditional love and support.

Whenever I was in a flare she would lay with me on my bed and at times it was almost all day. When I cried she would lick my tears from my face.

I told her everything about me the good, the bad, and the ugly and she always remained true.

She loved people and life. When we first got her she could fit in our hand.

Tonight is my first night without her and I miss her terribly. I never thought it would hurt this bad. She was truly my friend.

Cassie June 1972 - June 2008
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Dear Btrekker,

I'm writing from Ashland, OR, so it seems we're neighbors. :) I'm not sure I have the words that will bring you some comfort tonight. What I do believe however, is that once a true bond of love is formed, it survives all, even with the passage from this earthly life.

I had a kitty a few years back who was such a heart kitty, such as you describe your Cassie. I missed him for a long time (still do). I then had a dream one night. I noticed he was sitting beside me, and so I reached out to pet him. Since kitties have to have everything be their idea, he actually retreated a bit from my hand.

But shortly after, he decided to come over and plop on my chest, like he had done so many times when he was on this physical plane with me. We then had a chance to again share that wonderful bond of love we had forged over many years. These bonds never die. They just transform as we move along our paths.

May you find peace in your time of grief. And may I suggest you be on the lookout for Cassie in your dreams? You never know when your dear, dear friend will show up for a visit.

All the Best, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2008]
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am so sorry you had to lose your beloved fur baby. I lost my beautiful Akita a few years back and kept his ashes. He was like a child to me and had a terrible illness called Phemigus. Poor baby lost all his beautiful hair. I really waited too long to have him put down, I regret not doing it sooner to avoid the suffering but the vet kept on treating so I was confused.

Here are a couple of poems I hope comfort you...

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    then you must do what must be done
    For this, the last battle, can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand,
    Don't let the grief then stay your hand,
    For this day more than all the rest
    Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
    What is to come can hold no fears.
    You'd not want me to suffer so;
    When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
    And stay with me, if you can, to the end.
    Hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you will see,
    It is a kindness you do for me.
    Although my tail its last was waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve that it should be you,
    Who must decide this thing to do,
    We've been so close, we two, these years;
    Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Smile, for we walked together for a little while.

- Author Unknown

I Only Wanted You

They say memories are golden
    well maybe that is true.
    I never wanted memories,
    I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
    a million times I cried.
    If love alone could have saved you
    you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
    In death I love you still.
    In my heart you hold a place
    no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
    and heartache make a lane,
    I'd walk the path to heaven
    and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
    and nothing seems the same.
    But as God calls us one by one,
    the chain will link again.

- Author Unknown

[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2008]
  4. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how bad that will feel when it happens to our dogs. I wrote awhile back about how I felt much closer to my dogs since I became sick. I at times almost feel that dogs are here to help sick people.
    I hope you get another friend and soon. I am deeply sorry. Ruthie
  5. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep
    Below is a poem given to me when I lost my mother, it has been a comfort so many times over the past 18 years.

Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there. I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning's hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry;
    I am not there, I did not die.

6. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I am so sorry for your loss. I can tell that you love Cassie very much. I wish there was something I could say that would ease the pain you're feeling. Dogs are truly the best friends we have - no matter what happens at work, no matter what happens with your friends, family, loved ones, your dog loves you no matter what.

I lost a beautiful little dog named Molly about 3 years ago - she was 13 1/2, and suffered from congestive heart failure. When she started having trouble breathing, I knew I had no choice. I never wanted her to suffer, and I had to put her down.

She was my world. I cried tears into her fur, and she curled up with me when I was in pain. I left for work, and she was there, I came home, and she was there wagging her tail. She fell asleep with me at night and woke up with me in the morning. She was my companion, my best friend, and she gave me love and support when no one else was there.

A few days after I lost Molly, I prayed to God that He would care for her until I could get there. A couple hours later, I woke up with tears in my eyes. I think God answered my prayer. I had a "dream" where I saw myself in a beautiful place with Molly - it was quiet, there were trees, birds, flowers, butterflies, and beauty everywhere. I felt completely content and loved, and Molly was young again - not a puppy, but very young. We walked together along a path, and we were both happy. I was probably five or six years old in the dream, even though I was an adult when I met Molly. I knew when I woke up that Molly was okay, and that someday, that dream would come true.

The first days and weeks after a loss like this are unimaginably painful. The first few nights, the absence of her sounds (her paws clicking on the tile, her sighs, every little sound she made was gone), broke me. I held my pillow and breathed in her scent (she slept on my pillow when I was working). When I lost Molly, I literally cried most of the day for a month. I couldn't eat - I could drink milk and slushies, but I couldn't eat simple things like mashed potatoes.

It takes time to grieve, and I hope you give yourself as much time as you need. Please let others comfort you. I am so sorry you lost your best friend. I will send up a prayer for you and Cassie. Please take care.

7. jami117

jami117 New Member

I have a dear doggie, Roxy, who's getting older. She's been everything to me since I got sick. I can only imagine the pain you're feeling due to the loss of Cassie by thinking of my Roxy. I know how that heavy pain of loss feels. You can never replace such a loving friend, but I've found that giving another needy critter a loving home is the only thing that helps me with such a loss.

I hope you find the thing that helps you get through this loss. Thank you for sharing Cassie with us, it sounds like she was a lovely girl. Know that lots of love is coming from your friends here. I hope it can help give you some comfort.

Gentle hugs,
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2008]
  8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

that poem about the dog killed me. We had to put our beloved beagle mix to sleep a couple of years ago due to age and 2 ruptured disks. That poem about putting a pet to sleep is right on though. I loved that dog dearly, but he was miserable with not much hope of anything better and if you could have seen his poor sad eyes, it would have broken your heart, as it did mine. He was so faithful and loving he deserved better than suffering and we stayed with him until he was gone.

Now I know there are differing beliefs about pets going to heaven and we won't know until we get there for sure, but I will tell you from my heart, that I know God and I know God rewards the pure of heart and that God created pets for our joy and I would be hard pressed to think that my Lord Jesus would give anything less to such a creature than heaven. It just does not seem just, and God, I know, is a just God. I believe whole-heartedly that when I get to heaven, all my beloved pets from over the years will be there too.

I know this is unthinkable probably, but I would HIGHLY recommend getting another right away. I know no one can take her place, but I know you have enough love in your heart for another, not to replace, but to continue Cassie's legacy of love.

God Bless
  9. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

about your fur baby.

I understand the pain too, as I sent my Ringo to doggie heaven on April 29th. I miss him too!

Now I picture Ringo running free and easy and playing with my family members and friends and other fur friends too. I hope you can vision the same for Cassie.

Two weeks ago I got a new dog, and while he won't replace Ringo, it has been fun getting to know him and now I have a new fur friend.

10. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I am so truly sorry about your loss. I have a furry friend that will too always be with me as a companion and friend when now one else can be with me. My prayers are with you and I pray that God will ease you of your pain.

God Bless,
  11. btrekker

btrekker New Member

Thank you all for the wonderful support. PVLady your poems were so wonderful.

I loved reading about your pets and the positive impacts they made in your lives.

Tonight has been difficult, as we had our own little routine and like one reply shared. I miss feeling her breath and her little head perking up if I got up just waiting to see if I was getting up for awhile.

If not, as soon as I climbed back into bed down her head went, but if I stayed up it wouldn't be 5 minutes before she was right beside me.

Wayne, that would be such a blessing if I fall asleep sometime and get to have special time with her again.

Last night when it was quite late and things were quiet I took her for a walk.
    I took off her leash since she wasn't moving so fast and she had a great time.

I guess I just felt it inside that it might be our last walk together. I was just thinking that 5 years ago at the dog olympics. I live on the Oregon coast and one of the hotels here sponsor a fun dog Olympics ( very easy events)

Cassie won 1st place in the doggy surf for dogs 40 lbs and under. She loved to run out into the surf!

Thank you for just sharing her with you. It means a lot. God's blessings on you all.

Oh, I heard a great song on a video when Oprah lost her dog so I bought it at ITunes called, "goodbye my friend." If you have ITunes you can hear a bit of the song.
  12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Cassie.
    I've lost family members (pets) throughout the years and it is SO difficult. We love them so much. I think they love us even more.
    The one thing that always makes me feel better is knowing that I always gave them a good loving home. I made their life as happy and wonderful as I possibly could. I know you did the same for Cassie. I'm sure she had a beautiful life with you.
    Cry. Grieve. You need to.
  13. Empower

Empower New Member

I am so so sorry and I feel every ounce of your pain.

I've lost two dogs in my life and I know how it feels

I am sitting and crying for you right now.

My current dog is aging and I look at her every day and see more and more gray

If I was near you, I would give you a very big hug!!!!

I can tell you were a good doggy mommy

Take care and find peace in knowing that you made your dog happy!
  14. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

So MANY of us are blessed to have loving pets! I can't help but wonder if it's because we who have this dd NEED pets, someone to talk to, someone who doesn't care if we look kinda scruffy as long as we are there for you were for your Cassie.

That furbaby loved you, no question. My cats come to sit on me if I'm not in a good mental or body space; they seem just to know when they are needed. Their fur gets soggy because CatMom is crying, but they stay right there.

Here's something a dear friend sent when my good boycat Malik went away a year ago this month:
    Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    I am firmly convinced Malik has dropped in at least twice to check on me, because I SAW him walk through my kitchen. No, I'm not nuts. He was here.

Dear Trekker, your Cassie will be waiting for you at The Bridge.

15. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I'm so very sorry you lost Cassie! It's heartbreaking losing a fur baby.

I lost my cat in April - she slept next to me and would lick me for minutes as if she were grooming me. I'll always miss her and it will always hurt to think of her.

But you did have all those wonderful years together and some day, you'll look back on them and be able to smile.
  16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

for your loss. Sixteen years is a good run for a dog. You must have cared for her well.

I am often struck by the fact that the love of a good dog is so precious we are willing to go through this terrible pain again and again even when we know how very sharp it is.

Like many others here, I have had experiences that lead me to believe they are connected to us by love forever.

I hope you can move swiftly through your grief.

Take care,

17. poets

poets Member

I'm so sorry about your loss. I haven't lost a pet in a while, but I can still remember how it felt. I always said that at least I had my memories, and they grow more precious with time. You will be in my prayers.

18. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

So sorry about your little friend......I understand completely.......
  19. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

I had to put our dear Ginger down last year. She was a 16 yr old sweet kitty. She went through a divorce , moving and sickness with my daughter and I .Sometimes I thought she was a little angel. I know God sent her to us.

I'm sure that Cassie was a sweet girl too . I truly believe that God works through animals to bring us comfort and peace.

I also had something happen to me . I was looking out the window and saw a cat that looked just like ginger , only younger and she was having a wonderful time hunting in the field outside our apartment . I saw her only for a moment and then never again .I believe it was our Ginger , happy and well again. I also believe that it was God just giving me a glimpse of her so that I could know that she was o.k.

You are in my prayers !

20. thenewme

thenewme New Member

HI I just want to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers, I am so very sorry for your loss of one of you dear and very true friend and loved one. I know how special pets are to me they are my children, and best friends, always there to give love like know one can know matter what. Sending you gentle hugs and prayers, Barbara