Really strange symptom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Mar 28, 2006.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have a really strange symptom that I don't think that I have mentioned here before & I was wondering if anyone else has it, because it has me & the Dr's stumped. They have NO IDEA what it is or why it happens.
    When I am sick, tired or really run down I get a really strange & disturbing thing happen on falling asleep.
    Just as I am about to fall asleep I will get a 'rushing, hot, thump' sensation in my upper abdomen & I will 'shock' awake again.
    It's not a heart palpitation (I get these alot & it's different, lower, like around the solar plexus..) but it startles me awake with a shock every time & often makes my pulse race off, & makes me feel 'electric'.
    When I was in hospital extremely sick with the ulcer it got worse. I couldn't physically sleep & didn't do so for 48 hours. In the hospital my body tried to fall asleep many times, I was utterly out of my brain & every time I would be pretty much out this 'rushing, hot, shock sensation' in my upper abdomen would shock me awake again. I was so sleep deprived that I felt like I was dying & ended up suffering from derealisation.
    When I was really ill the hot rushing was extending up into my head & making me feel like I was going to pass out.
    It is the QUEEREST sensation that I have ever experienced & explaining it to Dr's, they all just look at me like I am nuts.
    Please someone tell me that they have this too!

Lisa
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Sounds like a myoclonic jerk to me...I got them from antideprs...google it!

Hugs,
    findmind
  3. ellie-b

ellie-b New Member

That is really wierd, could it be some thing related to restlas leg syndrom, I have that and I jumb and jerk all the time and all over my body, and I have another thing I think is related to that and it is a big bang just as I am falling to sleep. it sounds like a gun shot I jump right out of bed sometimes. the first time I told a doctor he just looked at me strange and I got one of those "your not real" looks. There is a new med for RSL my dr told me about I think it is a patch and it helps with the pain too. I didn't get it I use the fentonal patch and that will be the next step.
    good luck, we have such strange things going on in our bodies it's hard for regulars to believe us. goood luck Ellie
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

~*QUOTE*~

Oh yes, I know that one... It's the same one I got when mentioning this. They look at me like I'm, crazy!
    I get alot of nerve twitches, but no real restless leg... This is different somehow to everything else, but I do believe that it is neurological & nerve related...

Lisa
  5. Megumi

Megumi New Member

For several years now, especially on nights when I think I'll never get to sleep, I will get a sensation like a cold wave going through me. Like a hot flash but cold. It used to scare me but now I welcome it because I know it signals that I'm going to be asleep momentarily. I've never heard of anyone else having this one either.
  6. lease79

lease79 New Member

That deffinately sounds similar ;)
    Mine centres around the solar plexus area, but it does branch out.

Lisa
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

This happens during extreme bodily fatigue. Sometimes I keep pushing so hard I don't pay attention to my fatigue, the only sign for me then is when I fall asleep and have this electric shock-like feeling JUST as I fall asleep. I thought something was wrong at first. I canhave multiple ones, or just one or two. If I have a superbad flare, I can have them even during the day.
  8. lease79

lease79 New Member

Thanks Lenasvn, what your talking about sounds almost exactly the same. I too can get them throughout the day when I am very run down.
    As much as it is not nice to know that someone else suffers too, it is a relief to know that I am not alone (or nuts! LOL)

Lisa