Really Struggling After Car Accident

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by retrogirl, May 4, 2009.

1. retrogirl

retrogirl New Member

Has anyone else experienced this. I had a car accident In February and have really been struggling since then. My car was totaled,but I didn't break anything. I have had pain in various parts of my body and have been going to a chiropractor. The stress of the accident and dealing with my insurance company and finding a new car while dealing with the pain has exhausted me. I was in a total fog for at least 3 weeks after. I had to handle it all myself and I feel like I am in the midst of a relapse. I was starting to have some improvement with my thyroid symptoms. I feel like I am back to square one. No one really understands after all I didn't break anything.
  2. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Just because you didn't break anything it doesn't mean you weren't injured.... You may have done internal damage. People tend to judge by the outward appearance which is ridiculous....after all, you can't see a migraine... And I'd be surprised if you didn't suffer a relapse after what you've been through....the whole thing has been incredibly traumatic for you. You say the car was could have been killed. The whole episode must have put an incredible stress on your physical and mental health.
    Take it day by day and be easy on yourself. When people are unsympathetic try to be strong and explain that while you didn't break anything there is no doubt that you are in pain and are still suffering with the fallout out of the accident in terms of recovery, dealing with insurance etc...
    If people still don't understand I'd frankly not waste anymore of your valuable resources on sounds harsh but you need to protect yourself...

Gentle hugs and prayers that you are feeling much improved soon, Shelbo :)
  3. sascha

sascha Member

i had four car accidents before moving out to California- i totaled my car in one of them, and the side was ripped off my car in another one. i broke collar bone very badly in the first one, and got very bruised up, and wanged my knee in the second one. holy moly- mainly, i was seriously shaken up and scared. very very scared. the effects stay with you for some time. it's a harsh experience to go through. i'm sure your were both emotionally plus physically severely shaken up, even if physically nothing shows.

give yourself plenty of time for a comeback. it's quite a shock to the system to have this happen.

very best to you- Sascha
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

Most people(and some docs)don't understand the whiplash and body slamming caused in accidents. Like you said if it isnt broken or bloody you are ok. Wrong! google this think you might be surprised.

You had to have taken a bad slam if your car was totaled. Stress is bad for fibro. You poor thing you have been slammed from every direction.

They have had so much info on car accidents and whiplash,brain injury etc. it still surprises me people think your ok. Besides the trauma of it.

Too bad for other folks take care of your self and dont worry about what they think.sorry you didnt have help.

5. debilyn

debilyn New Member

I was in two car accidents in November 2006. I wasn't "badly" hurt, but after those accidents is when I started with FM.

First docs thought my symptoms were from Hashimoto's thyroiditis, My thyroid is regulated now with bio-identical T3. But I still have huge amounts of FM pain. I'm not sure whether the accidents played a role in the onset of my FM, but I didn't have it before I had those accidents.

6. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I was in a car accident where we got rearended. Severe whiplash, discs knocked out of my back, some kind of weakness in two fingers on my right hand to this day. Prior to the accident, I was feeling better! I was actually finally doing better. And then, bang. And that just set me all the way back. It looked like a small accident. This woman was in a large jeep and she rearended us at a stop light. But it was just enough to do all this damage.

Any kind of car accident can cause problems. And it can take a long time to recover.
  7. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

favor and see another dr. besides a chiro! Also, have you released your medical records to the insurance company yet? If not, then don't!! Were you at fault for the accident? I too was in a bad car accident which totaled my SUV and flipped the other one (they were at fault). I broke nothing, but can barely sit up for any amount of time (unless my arms are at rest) without severe neck, shoulder and upper back pain. I have more trigger points (not tender pts!) than a gun store, and despite weekly massage therapy (which I pay for out the nose) cannot get rid of them. People with FM are different, they have a harder time recuperating from trauma, and you may have muscle, ligament (soft tissue) damage. It has been a year since my accident, and I am still in agony. Take my advice, and see someone other than a chiro!
    Good Luck and hope you feel better soon..