Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 15, 2008.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post on the Alzheimer's board. I am replying here as that post has been on page one for some weeks, and that's long enough.

Are you old enough to remember the mad scientist Dr Savannah in the Captain Marvel comic books? Probably not. I think he and Dr. Frankenstein are the prototypes of the mad scientist.

2. springwater

springwater Active Member

I was missing R M Scientists posts and wondering where he had got to.

God Bless
  3. rockgor

Fight and Overwhelm.

Wanna hear the joke about the roof? On second thought, Nah, it'd be over your head.

Not surprisingly I found this on the net in a category titled "Silly Jokes".

4. rockgor

Hi, Overwhelm. Are you joking?

You've already read the joke. LOL!

Here's something from Steven Wright: If you send someone styrofoam, what do you pack it in?

5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

If you'all are talking about what to ship styrofoam in, then I don't know if you really need me:)

Thanks for missing me. Don't worry, I still have a few more theories to explain.

Meanwhile, the bad news is that I got the flu. The good news is that I got Tamiflu right away so not too bad.
    The bad news is that I felt so good after getting well, I decided to celebrate saturday night, leading to a minor adventure. Anyway, stopped on way to saloon to observe three police cars. six police, who had stopped someone.

I tend to feel that it is my civic duty to be a citizen observer under such circumstances.

As usual, I was told to move along. Which I did, to place farther away. Then, I began to feel uncomfortably in the radar when all six police seemed to be looking at me, so I moved futher the local purveyor of spirits.

So, a few hours later, I foolishly (possibly deliberately?) walked out the front door of aforementioned establishment and was immediately arrested for public intoxication. Maybe I shouldn't mention such shameful circumstances, but I'm in fairly plentiful and good company in this town. Besides, my name will probably be published in the local paper next week in the police blotter. Guess last week, there were 3 DUI's and ten arrests for public intoxication. With a 0.08 ETOH the de facto legal level for safe walking in this town, not difficult to get arrested.

Not to be boring,etc, but this county has one of best jails in CA. I asked a guard about it, and she said its because they want it nice because their relatives and neighbors tend to show up as residents. Anyway, A lot of ambiguous feeling towards sheriffs in this town. A general consensus is that they don't have enough to do.

So, I know that one is supposed to only use the back door and alleys on Saturday night. I knew better, etc, so suspect that I was seeking the recent
    experience as a catalyst in my life. Namely, I really needed a vacation (three days to see judge), and didn't have sense enough to conciously realize it.

So that's kind of where I've been. Guess long enough post for now.

Funny, though, I lived in San Francisco for twenty years and never had a problem with police. Guess I fit in there.

Meanwhile, small town cops tend to have an instinctive suspicion of me. Wonder why? I'm really very innocent and harmless. Guess "trouble just follows me around":)

Cheers, your mr Bill

Oh, I was concerned that the guards seemed to be more depressed and unhappy than the prisoners. Strange world we live in.

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2008]
  6. therealmadscientist

Oh, I finally got the roof joke after a fourth reading.

I don't remember Dr Savannah but was intrigued by Lex Luthor in the superman comics.

Quite a few medicines nowadays are prescribed off label. I forget what Neurontin was originally prescribed for, but was found to be useful for a lot of situations that not officially recognized.

A lab tech friend at work had a major stroke on vacation.....aphasia, etc. I suspect that was caused by "thick blood". Like, flu symtoms and vomiting and dehydration preceded the stroke. So, dehydration and taking aspirin are things I pay attention to.

Oh, it's (it has been, it is) rather busy at work also.
    Not much flu here till two weeks ago. Now everywhere.

Cheers, your Mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 02/19/2008]
  7. rockgor

Glad to see you back. Are you over the flu? Did you really get arrested or was that just a colorful story? I guess if true, it can't be discussed at length in the present venue.

Hope everything works out ok.

Ha det bra

8. therealmadscientist

No, it's all true.....especially my version, of course.
    Guess what worries me is that jail or prison seems likes a tempting escape from my current life, which isn't that bad but seems like too many demands on me, some self created, for a healthy Hermitologist.

Anyway, no harm done, other than that I read "Midnight Express" about the Turkish jails, and two thirds of "Elmer Gantry". So a bit more pessimistic and bitterly cynical than usual! :) (I should recover soon, after I take care of somethings I've been procrastinating about,etc.)

Oh, just "time served", so no big deal. All sorts of things to learn if the police ask you to step outside of home or saloon, one should politely decline. The moment that step outside one is arrested for being in public. At least there are "rules" I suppose.

I think rules have changed since I was a kid.

Oh,well. Que Sera.

Your Mr Bill

My,my, Orhan Pamuk does make even street noise romantic.

My recent reading wasn't quite that romantic: a few other guys with me and the TV blaring sports and Nascar races. Though, at least,it got me away from watching news channels.

Upton Sinclair was a major American writer in twenties and thirties..... a "Muckraker" according to some.

Anyway, he wrote a number of books that exposed hypocracy, greed,etc., in America. I think the whole meat processing industry was reformed by one book.

"Elmer Gantry" was about the religious evangelicals in middle America, with Elmer as a very Charismatic figure. A very good movie was made in 50's or 60's, but I realize only covered about a third of the book.

Anyhow, I had thought I had gotten over the maladaptive crisis approach to "solving" life dilemmas, or could at least recognize "symtoms". Oh, well, darn it,
    sometimes I'm pretty sure I outsmart myself.

Oh, just thought I'd add on to this post rather starting a new one, so that this post would just drift downward.

Cheers, your Mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2008]
  9. springwater

springwater Active Member

Arrested eh? For being high in public. I suppose boredom can make people do surprising things.

It must have been rather romantic - sitting alone and reading Midnight Express.

I have never heard of Elmer Gantry. I am reading a book (Other Colours)by a Turkish author Orhan Pamuk and he writes about Istanbul and Turkey..the earthquake etc. I havent read anything on prisons yet. He writes of Istanbul..."Istabuls Noise.Even when Im paying it the least attention and feeling most lonely, I (along with some ten million others), hear this noise all day long - car horns, grumbling buses, sputtering motors, sounds of construction, childrens screams,loudspeakers on vendors wagons, and on minarets, music cassettes playing everywhere, metal shutters crashing to the ground...."

Of Istanbuls spring he writes "i dont like spring afternoons : the citys aspect, the way the sun beats down, the crowds, the shop windows, the heat. i long to flee the heat amd the light. There is a cool draft wafting through the tall doors of certain stone and concrete buildings. Inside these apartment bbuilding, its even cooler and of course, darker. The darkness and cool of winter have retreated inside."

From some lines of his it almost seems as if Orhan Pamuk is depressed too. "When i was a lycee'student, and even in my first years of university, during the deepest depression of my life, I would, inspte of myself, long for him to come to the house and sit down with me and my mother and say a few things to lift our spirits."

I hope you will soon do all those things you have been procastinating and its nice to have you back among us.

God Bless

God Bless

God Bless