Rebounders-------------- Help or Hype ????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SueQ, Dec 11, 2003.

1. SueQ

SueQ New Member

Hey Girls and Boys,

Need some input here, please. I was crusin'several other FM/CFS sites and one highly recommends Rebounders(mini trampolines) for FM/CFS'ers. Claims great improvement in energy, pain reduction, and over all health.

This is the first I've heard of this. Have I missed something here? Has anyone here had any experience with Rebounders? If so ,what kind of improvements have you noticed ?

Thanking you all in advance for you time. You are all in my prayers every day.

Hugs, Susan
  2. Camdon

Camdon New Member

This is taken from one of, the many, web sites I found regarding the Rebounders. Its an interesting concept.

"Rebounding for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Dr. Paul Cheney, one of the pioneering doctors in the discovery, research, and treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, recommends rebounding as the best form of exercise for his CFS patients. He believes, along with many other physicians treating this ailment, that aerobic exercise is counter-productive until the patient has recovered, and then only progressive aerobic exercise should be undertaken. He compares the weakness of regulation autonomic tone and the autonomic nervous system of chronic fatigue sufferers to that of astronauts returning to earth from orbit. They have lost their autonomic nervous system capacity to stand up in a gravitational field and are removed from the capsule vertically. NASA resolved the problem of balancing the autonomic nervous system by bouncing them. The same regulation of autonomic tone and balancing of the autonomic nervous system can be achieved with the non-weight bearing, gentle exercise of rebounding.
    Dr. Majit Ali, author of The Canary and Chronic Fatigue, also recommends rebounding for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome sufferers."

Love,
    Yvonne
  3. dove1

dove1 New Member

for balancing the autonomic nervous system. I have OI and POTS. I will try it.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have found that I can run in place and do jumping jacks in the swimming pool without having the problems I encounter on the ground. Perhaps that's why water aerobics are so popular with us.

Love, Mikie
  5. angeldust

angeldust New Member

I have been using a rebounder for the past 8 months and have found it beneficial. The main benefit being that I can stop when I want, compared to walking which only stops when I get back home meaning its too easy to over do it. I usually do just a few minutes early evening, this tends to help me sleep. Rebounding is also meant to be good for draining the lymphatic system and boosting immunity. I have not seen any dramatic improvement but I am very slowly improving over time and I'm sure the exercise helps. If anyone is thinking about trying a rebounder start VERY slowly especially if you haven't been exercising.

All the best.

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2003]
  6. kb101

kb101 New Member

The last time I was on a mini trampoline I twisted my ankle and wound up with a torn ligament.
    Big OUCHIE!!!
    Consequently the trampoline remains low on my list for exercise options.
    Perhaps for the more coordinated a trampoline is a good choice!(LOL)Unfortunately, I can be rather clumsy at times.
    Basically, anything that will get your cardio vascular rate going is a good idea for general health (providing you do not knock yourself out trying.)
  7. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

I think a rebounder is a good idea. The bounce kind of helps with you not having to expend alot of energy.........it is great for getting the lymph going. I think I am going to get one...........and use it very carefully...........not to the point where I'm really out of breath..............work very slowly and work up.

Tammy
  8. jaflo

jaflo New Member

rebound in the dictionary means to tear down,thats the last thing we want,more pain,hurt ankles,backs,on and on.
    but,cellercise sounds much better
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

but you do have to be very careful not to overdo it. I worked quickly up to 4.5 min every hour that I was home - just doing the health bounce where your feet don't even leave the mat. I had a very bad CFS crash after that and my doctor thinks that the rebounding had a lot to do with it. He said it was a 'massive herx'.

I did hurt my ankles and aggravated my lower back when I used a cheap rebounder. You have to go for a better one with lots of spring in it.

You might want to check Stormyskye's thread called "Bounce, bounce, bounce."

Pepper