rebounding on a exercise ball....crash!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I decided to try a little bit of rebounding on my exercise ball. I bought this ball in the spring when I was trying to go to PT and it has been collecting dust in the corner.

I bounced up and down a little, felt ok. Decided to try and lift one foot like the PT suggested I do to build up stomach muscles and lost my balance.

Ended up rolling backwards until I slammed my back and shoulders into the antique wash stand behind me. Hubby came running to see what the big crash was!

Fortunately the wash stand is ok but now my back and neck are killing me.

Stupid stupid! I am such a klutz! It seems like when I try to do anything exercise wise I end up hurting myself!

Thanks for listening!

hugs Redwillow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2006]
  2. leobear

leobear New Member

Hi Redwillow.
    Those balls look so good dont they I have a blue one a friend bought me, but like you mine mostly collects dust or the grankids play with it. Im told to just sit on it and balance for now. I find leaning back close to a wall is quite good.
    Please be careful Redwillow
    leobear
  3. huska

huska New Member

WELL, I'M SAYING TO BE CAREFULL AND I'M EXACTLY LIKE YOU. MAYBE WE ARE JUST TRYING TO DO THINGS HOPING THAT WE CAN HANDLE THEM...
    I HOPE YOUR NECK AND BACK WILL BE BETTER.
    WHEN THEY HEAR ME SAY "OUCH" MY GIRLS ALWAYS COME TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED. THEY ARE GETTING USED TO THAT I GUESS...

LOVE,
    OLGA
  4. cct

cct Member

I bought an exercise ball a few years ago when I first read about Dr. Cheney's recommendation for rebounding.

I tried bouncing. I could not bounce more that 6 times before I became dizzy.

The thing that really got to me was the smell of the plastic! The off-gas from the plastic gave me a bad headache!

Now my exercise ball is collecting dust at my friend's house!
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks Jillstarr, Leobear, Hayleycole, Huska, Nanjee, CCT and grg1988

I wasn't as bad today as I thought I was going to be after my crash off the exercise ball!

Good thing no one had a camera around though! I must have looked pretty funny.

I am so glad I didn't break the washstand as it is an antique.

Anyway I sat in the hot tub for a long time with the jets on my back and ribs. I am stiff today but not as bad as I thought I was going to be.

Jill you are right I get frustrated with myself and try too hard. I am my own worst critic. Thank you for making me feel important!!!!

Leobear I think I should let this ball collect dust again. I doesn't seem to like me! LOL My Physio therapist wanted me to do all these exercises with it. She kept telling me my core muscles were in really bad shape.

Hayleycole I tried going to PT for a while. The therapist was nice but way too gungho for me. She kept adding more and more exercises to my list and I couldn't get her to understand that I couldn't do what she wanted. She seemed to think if she just pushed me I would improve. I was overwhelmed by this and all the noise and wait times in her clinic and ended up feeling worse when I left.

Huska I am glad you have your girls to come and check on you. My husband came running and just shook his head at me once he knew I was ok!

Nanjee thanks for reminding me that I am not stupid. Uncoordinated maybe but not stupid. My ribs are being really good right now Nan. I hope they stay that way.

Cct I have a lot of problems with dizziness too. Hayley has been telling us such wonderful things about her rebounding though that I guess I was hopeful.

grg1988 you are able to do so many different exercises! I used to go to curves for about 9 months but got frustrated because I never lost any weight. Everything around me (I live in the country) requires a long drive. I get very discouraged about joining anything as I don't have the energy to drive there and do the exercise too.

hugs to everyone for all the wonderful things you said! I put the exercise ball back in the corner where it belongs!
    Redwillow