Recently been diagnosed with FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ravenelleb, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ravenelleb

ravenelleb New Member

I just had my 2nd opinion and am trying to handle the news. I was doing well mentally until I had to use a walking stick to walk with to pick out my Christmas tree. I have pain all over but the worst is my lower back and hips. Sometimes I wish I could just cut them off!. At night I have to ice them down or i"ll go crazy with the pain and BURNING I have ALL the time. I fell 2 months ago and really hung a job on myself. I sprained both my ankles and sprained my lower lumbar. I still work at a local newspaper 10 hours a day for 40hrs a week. One day is short so I can work a 1/2 weekend early shift. Right now the cold is a real killer. Sitting is at time unbareable. I also can't walk any distance any more. It kills me to have my husband come to the grocery store to help me because by the end I can't walk. I take lyrica 100 mgs 3 times a day and 10.5 vic's on top of my normal meds.. The pain just never seems to go away!!!!... Is there anything I could be doing better?? Does anyone have any suggestions? I could really use some advice... Thanks. Barbara
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Getting a second opinion was a great idea. You may go on to get a third and forth... Many of us have. At first you think, "Really? Me? This hurts too bad to from an unknown cause". It takes time and for me a great family to able to accept this for the rest of your life.

The best thing you can do for yourself is read as much as you can about FM. Find a good doctor that you trust is knowledgable and doing everything in his/her power to help you.

It's really great that you're still working. I work too. I have to take 1/2 of vicoden to get through the day but it's worth it. My mental health would go into the toilet if I couldn't work or feel like I accomplished something.

Try to do some excercises/stretching... It hurts terribly when you first start but it will help build the muscles up some... That's what the doctors say. I've just started doing this three weeks ago and it is helping... some.

Glad to have you here... There are many good people on this board that give great advice and compassion when you need it.

Good luck.

3. Rachelsvine

Rachelsvine New Member

Hi Raven, Don't get too discouraged ,there IS help out there. Look up the web-site and find a center near you. I just got my bood tests back from the Center in Dallas. I have Eptsein Barr and the non-sexual herpes called HHV-6 which end up in the muscles and the spine. I've had FM and CFS for 21 ys. I started out by going to Chiropractors. It would help alot BUT only temporarily. There are tons of different viruses out there not to mention Candida and gluten sensitivity which most FM and CFS patients have. These viruses are what is causing my pain. If you wait to get treatment you could end up with a hormonal imbalance WHICH you do not want... trust me. It gets very expensive.Treating Fibro is expensive anyway, however, if you have good insurance then you will be better off.- Betty PS, I hope this helps, and I will pray for you!