recently diagnosed FM.Can anyone help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jacqffio, Mar 17, 2003.

1. jacqffio

jacqffio New Member

Hi
    I have recently been diagnosed with FM. after nearly 10 years of mystery illnesses.My doctors exact words where "oh youve got fibro myalgia,it either goes on its own or you can have it for the rest of your life.Goodbye.
    I suffer from chronic pain in my feet,all parts of my legs,my bum,stiff neck,headaches,chest pain,insomnia and other various symptoms.However I dont feel I suffer from anxiety or depression(sure I get p***ed off but only because of the amount of pain).So my first question is,can you have FM with out depression/anxiety.
    qeustion number 2 I have recently started to get numbness,tingling and a complete loss of strength in my left arm and hand,is this also a symptom of FM.
    Thanks in advance.
    John T.
  2. jeanderek

jeanderek New Member

I am sorry that you have been diagnosed with the terrible illness. To your question about depression, you can have fibro and not have depression although its rare.
    And your question about the numbness and tingly feeling, I have that in both of my hands, I first made sure nothing was wrong with my heart before the doctors told me that the fibro was causing it. I would do the same if I were you. Its better to be safe than sorry. I hope that you get to feeling better. Did your doctor give you any pain medication to help? If your in considerable pain talk to you doctor about giving you something because no one should have to live in pain. Also try heating pads, warm baths, I also use bengay type products, massages help some too if you can stand the pressure. Sometimes massages feel great to me and other times I can't stand for anyone to touch me cause I am so sore and hurting. I hope that you find ways to cope with your pain. I wish you all the best

hugs,
    Jeanna
  3. samjenkin

samjenkin New Member

I can understand how you feel. Whether anxiety and/or depression is another symptom or caused by feeling so rough is the stuff of much debate. I don't get depressed but I do get incredibly angry about the situation I (and all of us) are in. My personal view is that the depression/ anxiety are caused by the illness, not a symptom of it.

The tingling/ loss of strength can be a symptom of FM, but not to a degree where it disables you (which is what I am hearing from your message). One of the problems with having CFS/FM (I have both now) is that you can have many symptoms which are shared by other illnesses. If I was you I would get it checked out rather than think it was a symptom.

On another note, I find hot baths, my heat pad and aromatherapy oils a great help mith muscular pain in particular. Nothing seems to touch my bone pain or headaches though. I now have codeine for when I need it (not regularly because it is addictive) but I tried it at the weekend and it knocked me right out.

I have found this site very useful and the support and information that is shared invaluable. I hope it helps you too.

Take care

Sam
  4. jacqffio

jacqffio New Member

Hi Jeanna & Sam
    God its good to know that im not going crazy and im not on my own.
    I have a very beautiful wife who is trying very hard to understand but im not the best in the world at expressing how i feel or how much pain im in so its good to know im not alone.Thank you.
    My doctor has given me amitriptyline,but i find they dont touch the pain and although i suffer from fatigue if i keep moving i can overcome this but the tablets just make me sleep,so i have stopped using them,any suggestions on other medicines.I take magnesium & multivits,but havent found anything to touch the pain.
    Hope very much to hear from you again.
    hugs John T.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We can have FMS and have many, few, or some of its symptoms. Sometimes our symptoms change over time. Numbness and tingling are very common amongst us, but I always recommend seeing the doc for any new symptoms. I do not suffer from depression other than situational depression when I've been down and out too long.

FMS can go into remission, but it doesn't "go away on its own." Contrary to what your doc tells you, there is plenty you can do in order to releive symptoms and live a decent lifestyle.

You have come to the right place here. We have a library and I suggest you learn all you can about FMS. A lot of what is written about CFS is also applicable because of the huge overlap of symptoms. Our members are very generous about sharing info here too.

Love, Mikie
  6. jacqffio

jacqffio New Member

sorry i put both replies together,having trouble with keys
  7. bdoc

bdoc New Member

John,

Yes, all of the things you described are fibromyalgia related. But, there is hope! I too, suffered with this syndrome but have made huge progress in becoming well, along with many others that I know with it. There are answers! You do not have to live with it!

bdoc

[ advertisement ]