RECENTLY DIAGNOSED WITH FM. IS THIS NORMAL?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DRSter, Sep 4, 2005.

1. DRSter

DRSter New Member

I was recently diagnosed with FM.

I have noticed that my forearms and my legs from the knees down ache, and tingle in waves if I even try to use them half as much as I used to. I used to be a very active person, and now just walking around makes them feel like I ran a marathon at times.

Also I understand that CFS can go along with FM. This happens to me, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a feeling of fullness or slight pressure in the area of the ears. Along with a feeling that your vision seems off and does'nt match your NORMAL balance. Not a dizziness, just a feeling that its not matching. When this occurs I get EXTREMELY sensitive to light and sound.

Do these things happen to anyone else?

I appreciate any help!
    Thank you to all who can share some of your time!
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

What you are feeling is very typical of FM. You will prpbably feel pain, achiness, tingling, twitching, burning, iching. Not everyone gets them all but for the most part some. I have all of the above. It is very frustrating and bothersome.

Also, walking has become a task for me too. I have CFS also. Not everyone who has FM has CFS but quite a few do. My ears bother me too and I get dizzy if I turn around too fast, if I bend over and get up to quick. These are all symptoms of FM. Now your vision issue I don't know, I don't have that. However, the light and sound sensitivity is part of FM, I have that too.

So you see we have a number of symptoms that add up to FM and CFS. A note of caution though, if you feel anythng else that is not of the FM or CFS symptoms, have your doctor check for other things. No need to panic just keep track of all symptoms and share them with your doctor.

Hope this helped a little.

God Bless.

Hugs,
    Francey

3. elsa

elsa New Member

What you are noticing is good, old fashioned fibromyaligia. Almost classic symptoms in fact. Bad fatigue , either mental or physical, is also a defining symptom of fibro.

There is also Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is a similar, but seperate illness from fibro. Many people are diagnosed with both.

CFS has as one of it's defining symptoms bone crushing fatigue ... but it also has a whole set of other symptoms that are unique to CFS and that don't occur in FM.

When I was first learning about all this ... I kept things real simple .... Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an
    illness. Fibro and CFS both have chronic (vs. accute)fatigue as one of their diagnosing symptoms.

I hope this helps. I'm very sorry you are having to go through all of this. I know you don't feel good ... but things can get better.

Take care,

Elsa
  4. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

with some days being worst than others. The burning pain in my forearms and shoulders also from my thighs down to my ankles, sometimes both hips...it can be almost unbarable. Especially since I still work full time.

Thankfully, I have a small circle of close friends who are educated about Fibro, my mom was recently diagnosed and my children and other half are extremely supportive. I've had it for more than 7 yrs and it hasn't always been easy, but I'm determined to keep fighting to get better.

Welcome to the most informative FM support forum on the internet. And super supportive people too. Jackie
  5. cbella

cbella New Member

I have the same arm and leg pain and sensations you mentioned. I don't have the eye or ear problems. Did your dr. prescribe any pain med? When my legs and arms ache real bad, I don't think I could keep working at my job or function at home if I didn't take my Ultram. Hope your doc has given you something for it. Also take magnesium it really does help, especially in the early stages, i found. I take up to 1000mg a day spread out over the day, and it does help some. (It actually helped me more when I first came down with it.) Try 250mg twice a day and if you need to increase it, then you can. You know you are taking too much, if you get loose bm's........... hope this info helps ..........cbella
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It's a good read.Also Devin Starynal(doctor with fibro) has good info on her site.Some das I cannot even make my legs move.The muscles freeze up.I may or may not have pain with this.Hope the info helps.P.S. I used to love to walk!
  7. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

Don't know whether it's normal or not, but I also have the fullness around the ears and the vision being "off". Sorry you have it too. I know how it feels to go from being active to having to push yourself to do just a little. I still work full time with the FM, but it gets harder each day. Hope this helps ya!