Recently diagnosed with FM ~ not finding much relief yet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by milli2, Jun 29, 2010.

1. milli2

milli2 New Member

I'm a 26 yr old female & I was recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and at the time I'd never even heard of it. I've experienced many of the pain symptoms for many years, but after have my daughter via c-section, my body began changing. I started experiencing much more pain than I had before, insomnia worsened, began having RLS, and brain fog. I had assumed most of this was from being a first time mommy & my whole world changing all at once. I've also had a bad back since I was in college, and just recently reinjured it. I went to the Dr & she put me on a steriod pack, flexeril & suggested a get a massage because my entire back was spasming. Immediately following the massage my entire body hurt to the touch. I couldn't hold my daughter and I didn't want anyone to touch me. It felt like I'd been hit by a car. After a week of extreme pain I went back to the Dr. She ran labs on me & after everything came by negative she checked my tender points, and told me that she was sure that I had FM. I didn't know what to think because I didn't even know what FM was!

I'd been taking Prestiq for depression/anxiety (which I've had for years but it had worsened after my daughter was born), so she switched me to Cymbalta. She said the Cymbalta would help the fibro pain as well as my depression/anxiety. She also gave me flexeril for the muscle pain & Neurontin for the RLS.

I've been on Cymbalta for about a month & a half now. I've gained about 15 lbs, seen a huge increase in my depression & anxiety, some relief from pain (but not much), but my RLS has stopped (for the most part).

I'm on 90mg of Cymbalta now & don't know if I should stick it out awhile longer or if I should request having my medicine changed. My family has seen a huge difference in my behavior. They think I'm "just not there" anymore. I feel like I'm in a constant fog, which is now know is the fibro fog.

I'm completely discouraged because I don't want this to my life forever. Will the fog in my head ever clear out? Will the anxiety ever get better? Will the pain ever be managable?! Will I only have "good days"? It's very depressing to be this young and be diagnosed with something that doesn't go away & doesn't get better.
    I am married & have a 20 month old very very active child. My husband is extremely helpful, but he's gone for every other week for a week at a time. I can barely keep up with my child now, much less manage keeping up the house. I'm responsible for so many things here but I can barely keep up with what I'm doing because I'm in such a fog.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may have. Even just some support would be nice. My husband and my parents don't really "get it". I'm going to have them come to my next Drs appointment so they can get a better understanding of FM. Atleast I do have a very supportive Dr.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2010]
  2. shirley1259

shirley1259 New Member

Im sorry that you have to have fibro at such a young age. I was diagnosed at 40 but I think I had it way before then.
    What I can offer you as far as support and dealing with this disease is dont let yourself think ahead of each day. As they say one day at a time.
    Never let anyone tell you that it is all in your head. Trust me the pain and fatigue are very real.
    And another thing always remember you have this disease it does not have you. Dont let it become an obsession for you.

Next time you go to the dr. you might want to talk to her about the fact that the Cymbalta doesnt seem to be helping. Each of us is different and a medicine that works for one of us doesnt work for another. You need to keep trying to find the best meds for you. Hopefully taking your family along to the next Dr. visit will help them understand what you are going through. Remember you always have us here to understand.

Once again Welcome
    Gentle Hugs
  3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Like many, many people on this board, it sounds like you may have a chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection (Lyme) and maybe Bartonella at the least.

Think of your FM as a symptom of a larger, likely infectious picture.

All of the symptoms you mentioned can be caused by these tick-borne diseases.

My daughter did not know she had it when she was pregnant. She also got much worse after the delivery of her 2nd child.

Please read the following info contains a great symptom list...

and look at the symptom list on pages 9-11 and 22-27 of this paper by a lyme expert...

Unfortunately, 99% of Dr's do not know how to recognize, diagnose or treat chronic lyme.

Most Dr's mistakenly rule it out when people have a negative lyme test, which is very wrong.

Your symptoms have a cause, so don't settle for just giving it a name, with no real treatment.