recently found out I have thyroid nodules...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KathyM, Dec 6, 2002.

1. KathyM

KathyM New Member

Hi, it's been a while I thought I would say hello. I have been dealing with the fibro pain etc. pretty well, but the headaches for me are the worst. Last week I had a headache for four days; I just recently found out I have some nodules on my thyroid. I see a neurologist for my severe pain arthritis in neck etc. Any way, he had ordered an MRI of my c-spine, and the report indicated an enlarged thyroid. The next test ordered was an ultrasound of thyroid which gave a clearer picture, so I made an appt. with an ednocrinologist I will see him on 12/10; wish me luck. I read up on thyroid diseases, and alot of the symptoms what fibro gives us.....Has any one here been diagnosed with a thyroid condition? If you could share any info I would appreciate it. I'm trying to stay focused on my daily tasks, reserve my energy; too much stress can really put me down. I will keep you posted.
    take care, Kathy
  2. KathyM

KathyM New Member

Hi, it's been a while I thought I would say hello. I have been dealing with the fibro pain etc. pretty well, but the headaches for me are the worst. Last week I had a headache for four days; I just recently found out I have some nodules on my thyroid. I see a neurologist for my severe pain arthritis in neck etc. Any way, he had ordered an MRI of my c-spine, and the report indicated an enlarged thyroid. The next test ordered was an ultrasound of thyroid which gave a clearer picture, so I made an appt. with an ednocrinologist I will see him on 12/10; wish me luck. I read up on thyroid diseases, and alot of the symptoms what fibro gives us.....Has any one here been diagnosed with a thyroid condition? If you could share any info I would appreciate it. I'm trying to stay focused on my daily tasks, reserve my energy; too much stress can really put me down. I will keep you posted.
    take care, Kathy
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I've had thyroid nodules since 1986. I've been taking Synthroid since then and am monitored regularly by an endocrinolgist, but I've never had any big problems with them.

To be safe your endo may want to do some testing, like a fine needle aspiration to be sure they are benign. I had to drink some radioactive stuff and have tests done when I was first dx'd. Now I sometimes have to go in for an ultrasound and have had a couple of fine needle biopsies, but that's it.

If you've been reading then you know that there is only a slim chance that this could be malignant and even then thyroid cancer is one of the most treatable kinds there is, so your prognosis should be good all the way around.

You are probably hypothyroid. When your thyroid isn't producing enough hormone your body tells it to produce more and as a result some of us get nodules, some get goiters. Mine has been called a multinodular goiter by some.

I hope this helps.

Barbara
  4. KathyM

KathyM New Member

so much for your reply; I just needed to here from someone. If you don't mind I will post, and just give an update. I just want to find out exactly what the nodules consist of. So I can start getting treated; whatever the outcome.
    take care, Kathy