Recipe: Chile Relleno Casserole

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mrdad, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mrdad

mrdad New Member

By Popular demand

INGREDIENTS: 1/2 lb. Hamburger and or Sausage
    1/2 Chopped Onion
    1 Clove of Chopped Garlic
    (2) 4 oz. cans California Green Chiles
    (2) Cups of grated Cheddar Cheese
    (4) Eggs
    1/4 cup of flower
    1 1/2 cup milk
    Salt "to taste" "K"?
    Fry meat, drain excess fat. Add onion and garlic, cook
    until soft. Line 8 x 8 pan with 1/2 of the chiles, then
    1/2 the cheese add all the rest of the meat then the
    rest of the chiles. Blend eggs, flour, milk and salt.
    Pour over casserole and then add remaining cheese.
    Bake uncovered for 45 mins. @ 350 degrees. Serves
    2 to 4 Peeps.

BON Eating!!
    MRDAD (Compliments of the Former Wife)!
    P.S. Think it was in "Goodhouse Keeping" c. 1966-68

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Not in the recipe, but could top it off wiff Salsa and

whipped sour cream! Yummy!

3. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Thanks, hope all are feeling "well" today!

4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Thanks alot for the recipe. I sounds really delicious ! I would try it today except I need to buy a few ingredients that I don't have.

Granni (Cookie)

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Yea. It's great to hear from you. How's the Hubby doin'
    wiff the fishing? I rec. the boat in your Bio., but
    where is that Bridge?? Looks familiar to me.

Just use your pantry flour but you may want to sift it
    a bit. Don't know if'in you can do it on the WEBER
    though! Maybe the "indirect method"! How's Truckee
    Lake these days ? Those folks have a reunion often
    and I wonder how many are "Vegans"? Enjoy the weekend!

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DH took a little baggie of flour to my mom when we were dating. He said you should always take the hostess flours!

PS: A tablespoon of salt? That's a lot of salt!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Ooooo!!! I love chile relleno. I have never made it though, so thanks for the recipe. I will have to give it a try. Hope you are enjoying your day. Kim :)
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Chile Relleno

Brown rice: Start brown rice cooking – make one cup rice to two cups water. Brown rice takes longer than white rice to cook, so you need to start it before anything else.

Chiles: Start the poblanos roasting (or other mild peppers, like Anaheims, but make sure they're suitable--have thick enough flesh for some handling, and not too skinny). If you have a toaster oven, that works well. After the peppers have roasted and cooled, peel the skin off. Make a slit (or use one that appears naturally) and carefully remove as many of the seeds as you can.

Ranchero sauce: In a large saucepan, combine 1 tablespoon peanut or olive oil, 4 medium tomatoes, chopped, 1 small chopped onion, 1 minced garlic clove, one minced jalapeño (wear hand protection), 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat. Cook for around 15 minutes or so, until the tomatoes are soft and everything is well blended.

Jack cheese: Grate about a pound. You could use cheddar or Muenster. Take a handful of cheese and squish it into a cylinder. Insert it into a pepper. Fill the peppers until they have plenty of cheese, but aren't over-full. Close the peppers – squeeze the peppers gently to keep them closed.

Sprinkle the peppers with flour to coat them.

Separate three eggs, and beat the whites until stiff. Beat in 1/8 teaspoon salt, then the yolks, one at a time.

Heat 1/2 inch of oil in heavy skillet. Dip each pepper into the egg and then put it in the pan, as many as will fit without being crowded. Fry until golden on the bottom, then turn and fry on the other side.

Serve the peppers with rice alongside, with ranchero sauce over the peppers or over both.

9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We raise our own beef and for those of you who don't, you end up with lots and lots and lots (did I mention lots!) of hamburger!

In order to make everything come out fairly even I have to fix something with hamburger at least twice a week and give as much as she'll take to my DD!

Hamburgers, tacos, hamburger gravey, etc., gets really really old! So I was very happy to have the recipe to try.

I didn't use the tablespoon of salt, just a teaspoon. It was good! My DH isn't into anything knew but he said this recipe "has potential". In his case that is singing praises!

He recommended some cumin and maybe peppers with a little more bite to them. I think I would also add some cylantro, fresh if I can get it. (Our town is 80% Hispanic so getting ethnic ingredients is not really a problem!)

Thank you Mrdad, I would never thought of this dish. What else ya got?

10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Granni, Greenbean (loved the "Flours" ya sent) Jaltair,

thanks for your Brown rice suggestion and the Salsa Recipe

as well! Hello Kim. How ya doin'?

There is a good recipe Book on Mexican Cooking that is
    quite good! It was put out by Sunset Mag. years ago and
    may yet be in publication. A used book or thrift store
    may be a good source. There are also some great desserts
    in the Book. It is from that "How To" series they did!
    From patios to Mexican food!

As the French say: "Bonie Eating" everyone!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/23/2007]
  11. mezombie

mezombie Member

might really like this! Especially now that she's on a "hot pepper" diet for her FM!