Recognize any of these?

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by rockgor, Sep 26, 2015.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi Kids

The items shown above were still around when I was a kid although most of them were no longer widely used. I couldn't get much help from the Board with
    getting the pics placed on the page. And the search engine told me it couldn't find almost everything I looked for. Even when it located sites it said it couldn't find anything. Like trying to get help from the government. Uff-da!

Rock
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

One of those is a butter churn, I think. Not sure at all about any of the others. Maybe some sort of cutter or plane on the first. Those little cans, maybe they held snuff! :) GB
    rockgor likes this.
  3. rockgor

Hi GB

Yup, it's a butter churn. The little cans are actually cylinders. They are about 4 inches
    long. They weren't in use when I was a kid, but I used to see them in thrift shops
    now and then.

I see one of the pics has already evaporated.

The first item is a wagon jack. I never heard of such a thing until a few days ago when
    I read about a book on the Oregon Trail. I put it on hold. The Oregon Trail started
    in Missouri, or sometimes Iowa, and went Northwest to Oregon. It was a little
    over 2,000 miles long. There are still wagon ruts in parts of the trail. You can
    see them on Youtube.

The pioneers wagons usually carried a wagon jack. If a wheel needed replacement,
    it was necessary to put the wagon jack under the axle to lift the wagon. Kinda like when Lucy and Ethel changed a tire on Elsa Lancaster's car.

Rock
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: I think those wooden paddles were for pressing down on your butter mold to make them fancy. The little "cans" were for a gramaphone....I think that's the name. And the other is some type of a grinder.....doesn't look like a coffee grinder though. And the one that just popped in was a type of apple peeler/corer. It's pretty small so that's what I'm assuming it is. I have one that clamps to a table, you shove on an apple and turn the handle and it peels with a razor blade type end. Mine doesn't core it though. Unless that is for pitting cherries?
    rockgor likes this.
  5. rockgor

Sun, you are right with Eversharp! The paddles are butter paddles. Some of the
    pictures show curved paddles. I figured they were to scoop the butter out of the
    churn. Maybe they then used the flat paddles to shape the butter into a rectangle.
    Or did they put the butter into a mold?

The picture between the wagon jack and the cylinders is a separator. To separate
    the cream from the milk. Maybe I should have put some info about how big these
    items were. The one on my uncle's farm was about 4 feet high. You turned a
    crank and the cream came out one spout and the milk out the other. I think they
    later got an electric one. You can also find these on Youtube.

The cylinders are Edison cylinders. They were the first recorded music devices.
    The flat records came along 15-20 years later. Are these on Youtube also?
    You bet. And you can listen to them. As you might expect, they sound pretty
    primitive.

And yes, the picture that reappeared was an apple peeler-corer. I think these
    were invented by the Shakers or the Amish or some group. My neighbors had
    one. It was always attached to a kitchen table, ready for use. The Mrs.
    used to make apple butter which was an ugly brown. When I was a
    kid they were always offering it to me. It looked spoiled to me. I
    wasn't gonna eat that.

And so, Boys and Girls, we see that history is just around the corner.
    Why in only 3 lifetimes we can go back to the time of George
    Washington.

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  6. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock: I've got some curved ones too that belonged to my grandmother. A few fancy butter molds and also one cute little butter pat one. I used to be "into" kitchen collectibles big time. Of course now those things are passae.....not sure about that spelling......is it french?
  7. rockgor

Hi Sun, My mother had a butter mold. It did one pat of butter at a time. I think
    she used it all of 2 or 3 times.

Yes, passe is French. Unless you're talking about El Paso by Senor Marty Robbins
    which is Spanish. I used to play bridge with fellow who, when bidding, instead of
    just saying "Pass" would sometimes say, "A city in West Texas".

Maybe you can post pics of your collectibles and we can guess what they are.
    Or how much they cost. Or where you found them. I once bought a camping
    oven for a quarter when I was a kid. I walked by an auction. I only had a
    quarter, but I bid it and nobody else was bidding. It was about the size of a
    modern microwave. It was black. Made of tin, I guess. You took it with
    you when camping and put it in the fire, or maybe the ashes. We never used it.
    Probably got auctioned off again 20-25 years later when the folks sold the house.

Rock