Recommend a Doctor PLEASE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teribelle13, Dec 26, 2006.

1. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

I have been searching for pain relief for several years. I have Fibro and my life is in shambles due to the disability and pain. I cannot hold a job, my marriage has suffered. I am on a path to find a doctor/clinic who is not afraid to prescribe pain meds that will actually do something besides drain my bank account.
    Vicodin or the vicodin-ibuprofen I think would help change my life. Just because of my experience with the drug for various things (after childbirth, dental surgery) and I feel like a new woman while taking.
    I would travel almost anywhere to find a competent doc who knows that pain meds are for PAIN.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2006]
  2. Daisys

Daisys Member

I went to the Vitality101 site and looked for a Dr. in their practitioner's list who is in my area. They are trained in the Teitelbaum protocol:

Sleep--crucial for getting better
    Hormone support
    Infection
    Nutrition
    Pain management

I found a doctor in my area, and am getting good treatment.

If you can't find someone to recommend a doctor from personal experience in your area, the next best thing is to get a doctor who believes in this condition and is trained for treating it.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

Since you said you will travel anywhere to get a doctor that will help you I suggest Dr Loretta Baca at the Center for Health in North Platte Nebraska. But let me tell you she won't drug you.

Last Christmas I was in so much pain. I had Christmas dinner for my family of 12. My feet, my back, my hips my entire body was in excrutiating pain the entire day. By the next day I was so tired I couldn't even function. The Fibro Fog was horrible.....I couldn't think...I couldn't move....it was awful.

This Christmas was entirely different. I had a tiny bit of pain in my hips when I laid down Christmas night. I had cooked dinner for 14. Chased 3 grandkids all day and entertained ,,,,what a difference a year has made in finding a doctor who knows what they are doing.

I'm not taking any drugs. Just vitamin IV's, novacaine shots, and Frequency Specific Micro Current.

I take:
    Ultra Inflamax, 2 Aleve, 1 Musinex DM, Vitamin D, and Bio Identical Hormones. Calcium, Magnesium, Potatsium.

This Christmas I thank God for sending me to Dr Baca.
    Kayleen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2006]
  4. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I am already on so many or have tried everything, including B12 injections for the past 9 months....nothing.
    I am to the point now where if I don't get some relief, I just can't see any way to keep up with the facade, in my mind, I am already dead and in hell.
    I live in NY and just need a doctor who will help me.
    Thx
  5. findmind

findmind New Member

First, dear one, take your email addy off right now (use "edit" under your username, ok?

It's against the rules, and dangerous for you...it's to protect us.

Next, go to the "doctor" tab at top of this page. see if there's one near you, and I'm sure there must be!

Good luck finding a new doctor who will take your pain seriously and give you treatment that works for you!

Hugs,
    findmind
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Teri:

I agree, take your e-mail address off. Too many crackpots out there that take advantage of people, especially those already susceptible.

I would advise you to discuss with your GP, or family doctor. If he/she cannot treat your symptoms, ask for a referral. You might need a pain clinic, or a rheumatologist, but without knowing many things (including where you live) it is difficult to give out advice on doctors.

You might find a FMS support group in your area. I think that there are a few websites for FMS groups...just google for them. You might get lucky and find a good group that has many different ways that they could help you find doctors to treat you.

You do not say if you are still working or what. I took vicodin and muscle relaxers for years in order to keep working. I had FMS symptoms then. Now, I am not working, and have terrible RA symptoms and destruction of my joints as well as my liver, my heart and my lungs. I have a long list of doctors that I see, and so far have been doing okay with 6 or so that consult with each other when necessary.

Good luck to you.

Ingrid
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Then go to the meetings and find out what doctors others are going to ---

This would be your BEST avenue to find doctors who prescribe the medications that you want.

The next best thing would be to go to a rheumatologist or a pain clinic.

To me the FM support group would be on the top of my list. Why reinvent the wheel and deal with frustration when there would be a wealth of information from the other existing FM members!

I looked up FM support group new york and found the following. I'm clueless what part of NY that you live in.

http://nysn.org/
    There is actually an email address at this web site which will give you information regarding FM support groups in your local area.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    http://www.immunesupport.com/supportgroups/listings.cfm
    This one actually lists the cities in new york that have support groups.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.ourfm-cfidsworld.org/html/missouri-oregon_support_groups.html
    Another site that lists FM support groups by state.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2006]
  8. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

I appreciate your help. Very much. Fighting this monster alone is impossible. I'm tired of making excuses for myself, why I don't work, why my house is not as clean as it could be, why I alwways cancel appointments and get togethers.
    I lost a child to cancer a few years back and that's pretty much when this 'beast' took over my body. I have fought everyday to stay alive for my family's sake, which is near impossible. Add this 'syndrome' (that nobody understands or worse... nobody believes) and it is the making of an excrutiating existance. I am so glad I found you all, I said the last doc I went to 'would' be the last, I think #7. But, I will try once more.
    My prayers are all with you and thanks for letting me vent.
    PS~ I tried to erase my email, but I cannot find it....?
  9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Re: email address.

This is what you need to do.
    On the top post where you have your email address listed, you will see an "edit" button below your user name.
    Click on that button. Then, you will be able to make changes in your post. Just remove the email address.

Then click on the 'post this reply" button at the bottom of the box as you did the first time. That will remove your email address.
    To reiterate:
    Go up to original post. Click on "edit" under your name.
    Delete your email address. Click on 'post this reply" button.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome aboard. It might help if you post the location in the title of your post. It will attract anyone who may be able to help. BTW, it is against the rules to post our e-addresses here or in our profiles. You might want to remove it from any post in which it appears. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  11. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

I thank you for the step by step, yes I have fibro and a blonde on top of that!
  12. zoekenyon

zoekenyon New Member

I have not worked since 1994 because of being nearly taken out by the Beast of Fibro/Chronic Fatigue and your plea sounds very familiar. I have made significant improvement, thou its so easy to over exert without realizing it and as a result...it's back to total bed confinement.
    Here's the GOOD NEWS. I was seeing 10 (ten) doctors or more at one time. I was on at least 9 (nine) different medications. I was receiving Physical Therapy. Massage Therapy and so on.
    It was through my Chiropractor (they promote holistic healing) who I hadn't seen in 10 (ten) years that I was able to get some relief.
    To keep my message brief, I found that my body was toxic because of my diet and the tons of medication and also that my body was too acidic because of the same.
    I've learned a lot about the body and how it was designed to operate and heal itself and what it needs to combat the ravages of FM/CFS.
    Now, I am under the care of only three doctors, including my chiropractor, and they all communicate regarding the best care for me.
    I am not always as diligent as I should be with taking my supplelments when I am fighting the fatique and pain and depression. Keeping fresh fruit and vegetables and making my healt shake seems equal to climbing Mt Everest, but I keep trying.
    Please remain HOPEFUL.
    Zoe
  13. teribelle13

teribelle13 New Member

I felt all the meds were maybe canceling each other out, and got off everything but the Metformin (prediabetes) the B12 injections and the vitamins I was told to take.
    I cannot feel any difference.
    I honestly think, if I could have the pain treated with a pain med that worked for me, the rest will fall into place. I can start exercizing and lose some of this weight I've gained. I finally found a pain clinic in Rochester ny (near me) I have an appt the 12th of Jan. with the closest I could find to a FMS doc.
    I appreciate all your support, it has actually lifted my spirits a bit.
  14. lin21

lin21 New Member

what state you are in but I have a doctor who has helped me in NJ , he prescribes me my pain meds and also my thryoid meds and over the past two years or so I can say that I am better than I was. But then again I was ready for a coffin for the first year without any meds and it took along time before they found something that helped me.
    If you are near I will send you his name.
    Lin
  15. zoekenyon

zoekenyon New Member

Please be careful with the pain medication. For the most part you may not get long lasting relief and you may end up with another problem with liver damage and/or stomach ulcer which is what happened to me. About four years ago I found a good doctor at the University of Michigan hospital who was one of only a few doing research on FM. She is a Rheumatologist. Because of other health issues that I have I wasn't able to participate in the study but I remained under her care for a while.
    After trying many Rx's for pain, unsuccessfully, she suggested 600mg of calcium with D vitamin and a megadose of Aleve (appx. 2 twice daily). I felt great. I felt like I could leap tall buildings in a single bound. But...after about four weeks I got violent stomach pains and cramps, and diahrea, and vomiting, and cold sweats. It was 100 times worse than my labor and delivery pain. I can no longer take aleve/ibuprofen. I now have to take meds to counteract the painful muscle spasms.
    I try to take a more proactive role in my healtcare. It drives some doctors crazy but I really don't care. If they don't like it I FIRE them.
    Read all you can on natural healing. I found my most sustained relief in natural healing. But be careful here also because not all supplements are created equal.
    Try not eating red meat, sugar, and white pasta and rice for ten days. No pop or any beverage including so called fruit juice with 'high fructose' in it.
    All these items are highly acidic which disrupts the body's natural PH level.
    Just try as much fresh fruits and vegetables and fish as you can and drink 100 per cent fruit juice and distilled water and tea for ten days and see how you feel.
    Do you have a Chiropractor? I hope you do. My chiropractor treats other patients with our condition with much improvement.
    My Doctor will talk to your Chiropractor on his protocol, if you'd like him to.
    Please let me know how things work out with your appointment on 1-12-07.
    And by the way, I had to learn to forgive my family for not quite understanding the situation because I don't always understand it myself. I just know that they try so I accept it and just keep most things to myself.
    So hold your little 'tired head' up because we're gonna get through this; one half hour at a time.
    Much love and encouragement,
    zoe