Recommendations for headphones eye patches for sleeping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ephemera, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I'm again searching for headphones that I can wear to sleep in as a side sleeper, as well as a eye blackout wrap that I can use while sleeping.

I've been trying to make do with headphones that are use in testing guns, but they aren't comfortable as a side sleeper. (I manage to use them the nights I have to sleep in the recliner.) I've contacted makers of isolation noise reduction phones & they've said I need to look elsewhere as they will not help my sensory overload.

Can any side sleepers offer advice on their experiece with the expensive Bose or any other industrial ear protectors?

(I cannot do the nature sounds on CD, nor can I actually listen to sounds on my headphones, they're only to make things quiet.)

Also, I'm searching for a wrap around eye pad that I can wear for sleeping that doesn't smell or have any sensory problems with the feel of fabric. Has anyone here used the Hibermate, which I found on the web.

My bedroom has blackout drapes, blinds, foam core cut to the window frame & I still see light with my eyes closed. I cover up any light from the alarm clock or heating pads as well as the air filter or room humidifier (both used infrequently - ususally during the day when I'm not in the room). Often I'm trying to put eyesocks or black pillowcases on my eyes in an attempt to stay asleep.

thanks for any suggestions.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2007]
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I'm a side sleeper too. I use ear plugs when I go camping. But I have ringing, so earplugs aren't so good.

I've had my best success with a HEPA air filter from Home Depot. It makes a soft rushing noise. I can set it on High when the teenagers are watching a movie.

I sometimes see images and flashes when in complete darkness. I would get them more often when I had lots of migraine headaches. MSG, sulfites, nitrites & nitrates would induce many of them.

Red light can easily transmit through the eye lid. Blue green makes a better night light, if the family uses them, and for the alarm clock.
  3. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Thanks for your reply. I have ringing when I'm really having a flare & on the verge of migraine. I have used the Macks earplugs now & then. I'm a mouth grinder, too.

Yes, I also see flashes in the dark. Even in total darkness with eyecoverings I have flashes.

I've covered up the little lights from machines with extra socks (those that have holes that will never be darned) & my Hepa air filter has a taped down piece of cardboard to cover the very tiny red light. That's interesting about red lights...
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The herb Feverfew helps some ppl with migraines.

MSG and its alias: Autolyzed yeast extract, yeast extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protien. These are my worst nightmares.

Ginseng will sometimes work as an antidote. Many migraines are cause from blood vessels expanding (vaso-dialator)due to some chemical. Then they relax into a spasm and the migraine begins. Ginseng is a vaso-constrictor. So is coffee, but coffee will keep you awake. If your liver is weak, you'll be up for 12 hours.

Also, cleansing the liver with milk thistle, dandelion root and red clover (ingredients in Celestial Seasonings: Detox A.M. tea) work well. It takes my liver about 1 hour to work but it does do it.

The mineral, molybdenum is real important for your body to detoxify sulfites into sulfates. Make sure that your supplement has lots of it. Sulfates are easy to pee out. Sulfites are used to preserve many store bought food items from wines, potato salad, lettuce salads and fruits. Sulfites give me a nasty migraine.

Avoid cured meats, most deli meats are "cured" with a strong oxidizer: sodium nitrite/ nitrate. Nasty migraine once again.
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

allwxrider, thanks for all the info. My accupuncturist (whom I can no longer go to because she doesn't take credit cards for my payment) diagnosed me as liver dampness, kidney weakness & internal wind.

And, my recent liver test turned up high abnormal, so I see 2 docs next week.

Seems your message tied in nicely to both, thanks.
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

7. ephemera

ephemera New Member

bumping for night owls
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Milk thistle is great for a weak liver.

Probiotic may help you bad wind and they produce systemic enzymes. You can also take enzymes: Virastop and Vitalzym are good CFS choices.