Recommended CFIDS/FM Books Add Yours

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by snowdonia92, Jul 20, 2007.

1. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member

What books do you guys recommend regarding CFIDS/FM?

Here's some that I recommend:

1. "From Fatigued to Fantastic" by Jacob Teitelbaum

2. Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements ... A-To-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies) (Paperback)
    by Phyllis A. Balch

3. "Adrenal Fatigue: the 21st Century Stress Syndrome" by James Wilson (I just ordered this, but I have heard it's great. Like many CFIDS patients I have been diagnosed with under-performing/over-activated adrenal glands which are making me sick)

4. "A Consumer's Dictionary for Food Additives" by Ruth Winter (Eating harmful additives is very harmful to your health, this book is super helpful).

5. "A Consumer's Dictionary for Cosmetic Ingredients" by Ruth Winter (Your skin absorbs up to 60% of what you put on it. This guide is helpful in choosing cosmetics that won't hurt your health).

6. "The CFIDS/Fibromyalgia Toolkit: A Practical Self-Help Guide" by Bruce Campbell

(Very helpful book and course. The author recovered from CFIDS following the guidelines in this book).

7. "Defeat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: You Don't Have to Live With It- An 8 Step Protocol" (Highly, Highly recommend this book- very helpful and I do believe it holds the key for many of us to be WELL AGAIN!)

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/26/2007</i>]
  2. yellowstrawberry

yellowstrawberry New Member

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/20/2007</i>]
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

"Dictionary of Medical Terms for the Nonmedical Person", by Mikel A. Rothenberg, MD and Charles F. Chapman

"The Savvy Patient: How to be an Active Participant in Your Medical Care, by David R. Stutz,MD and Bernard Feder, MD

"The Doctors' Vitamin and Mineral Encyclopedia", by Sheldon Saul Hendler, MD, PhD

"Coping with Mild Traumatic Brain Injury", by Diane Roberts Stoler, EdD and Barbara Albers Hill (deals with "brain fog" and other cognitive problems so many of us have)

"Living with Chronic Illness: Days of Patience and Passion" by Cheri Register (really helped me learn to cope with this DD)

"Osler's Web", by Hillary Johnson (invaluable history of the politics of ME-CFS and how they still affect us)

"The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" by Byron Hyde, MD (fabulous and very comprehensive collection of articles by highly-regarded researchers)

P.S. Ditto on Bruce Campbell's book. I think the new edition is called "The Patient's Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia: Take Charge Using Proven Self-Management Strategies". Available from his website (chock full of articles and personal stories, BTW),

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 07/21/2007</i>]
  4. Poppy2

Poppy2 New Member

Fibromyalgia and chronic myofacial pain A survival manual by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland
  5. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member

This will be helpful for others, I think.

6. pepsismybaby

pepsismybaby New Member

I have difficulty reading and cannot hold books/magazines but appreciate the lists and maybe can find them on tape or something.
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Devin Starlanyl's books---they've been around for awhile, but have been updated.

I especially like the one called "The Fibromyalgia Advocate", because there's not just info on the illness but how to deal with every type of doctor, legal issues, workplace stuff, friends & family relationships...just a great, all-around book!

8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

<I>Living Well with Chronic Fatigue Sydrome and Fibromyalgia: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You ... That You Need to Know</I> by Mary J. Shomon. This book covers a variety of theories concerning the cause and treatment of CFS & FM. Published in 2004, it is no longer up-to-date, but has a lot of good basic information.
  9. grandmasheri

grandmasheri New Member

My boyfreind mademe a laptable, its large enough and just hich enough to fit over my lap and not "touch" me anyplace. It has an adjustable tray that raised to various angles and an edge that nicely holds books. all i have to do is turn the pages without holding anything. the first book I bought was "fibromyalgia for Dummies" LOL
    God bless, Sheri
  10. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member

Oh for sure am I told that in one way or another! I will check out the book, thank you!

I know I am sick and that I'm not a hypochondriac, but it does wear on your psyche being told that over and over again. You start to wonder, "what if I made this whole thing up to avoid something, or whatever?" So weird, but in my case (and in all of our cases), so untrue.

Thanks Prickles.
  11. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I would like to add:

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, by Clair Davies

Detxify or Die , Sherry A. Rogers

Hope and Help for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, By Alison C. Bested M.D. and Alan Logan N.D.

I also strongly agree with the recommendations for the book by Devin Starlanyl.

12. mujuer

mujuer New Member

"Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain" by Devin Starlanyl" and "The Trigger Point Workbook" by Clair Davies.
  13. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

Osler's Web -- Inside the the Layrinth of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Epidemic

Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/22/2007</i>]
  14. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member

15. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

1--Dr. Gloria Gilbere's book----"I was poisoned by my body" the odyssey of a doctor who recovered from cfs, fibro, mcs.

2-Dr. Gloria Gilbere---"invisible illness"

3--Alternative Medicines Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,fibromyalgia, mcs,lyme.....
  16. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But Devin Starlanyl's books were the ones that I read first..
    They described me so well...that I took them along to my first doctor visit...all highlighted to show him what symptoms I had!

17. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

"Optimal Wellness" by Ralph Golan M.D.

By far the best thing I've seen for the topics of adrenal fatigue, yeast and food allergies. Also seems to be a good chapter on chemical sensitivities (though I don't have that problem).

"Natural Hormone Balancing for Women" by Uzzi Reiss M.D.

Best hormone book I've seen. Deals with DHEA, pregnenelone, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and human growth hormone.

18. yellowstrawberry

yellowstrawberry New Member

19. aubrygreen

aubrygreen New Member

"Essential Stretch" by Michelle LeMay

She preaches her style of stretching like it'll cure you of everything, and it won't, but its the best guide to stretching without hurting yourself that I've found. She emphasizes stretching as a way to improve your health even apart from other exercise, which is nice. I wish every doctor who ever told me I should do 'stretching exercises' and then looked blank when I asked them how to do that would keep a copy of this book around.
  20. snowdonia92

snowdonia92 New Member