Recorder Helps With Mother's Repetitive Questions

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Virginia2009, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Virginia2009

Virginia2009 New Member

My mother is in the early- to mid-stage of Alzheimer's. She is often anxious, because she cannot remember what she needed to do, or if she has done it! This anxiety is the source of her repetitive questions, which exhaust my patience and that of our substitute caregiver.

I found that the most simplified recorder possible really helped with this problem. (www.kindreminder.com). I leave comforting, reassuring messages for Mom, and she plays them over and over again. A typical message might be, "Hi, Mom, you've had a good breakfast and taken all of your medication. Mary is here with you, and I will be back after lunch." The recorder is worn as a pendant and has only one, very big button for playback.

My mother is calmer and more aware of what's going on. Also, there's less tension between us. I hope this can help other families.
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

How about posting this on the Alzheimer's Board that we have here so they get this information as it would be very helpful to many of them. Good luck and glad you found something that worked.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

Great idea. I wish we had had this with my FIL, but he was so hard-of-hearing that I don't now if he could have heard the recordings. He was 94 and we had to practically scream at him for him to hear us.

Did you know that there is medication you can give Alzheimer's patients to slow down the progression of the disease?

I need to remember this for my own mother, though. She is getting to this place soon.