Recovering after my surgery.. so tired..Update, advice needed..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kimba4318, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

HI friends - been wanting to post but barely have the energy to. I had a scar revision and some nerves worked on in my stomach on Wednesday. I had a huge hole in my stomach from a staph infection a couple of years ago.

I feel it went well. I lay around all of the time since and cannot find any energy at all. I wake up tired and go to bed tired. Is this just a combo of the FM and the recovery? I can't wait to get back to my normal energy level, which is not very much.

Weirdly enough, my hips and lower back feel like I have run a marathon... wondering if that is the effects from having FM and surgery.

I sat with the computer on my lap yesterday and cannot tell you how many times I dozed off at the keys. This is after I layed around all day. Guess I should not fight it. I am trying to ease up on the pain meds and am in alot more pain. I was just feeling it out.

Maybe the hip and back thing is from the laying around, it really hurts to the bone. I am also having trouble urinating, think I have a UTI.. taking uristat for that. Lots of burning and the feeling that I need to go, but little output.

Just an update and wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Very worried about infection since that is what brought me to this surgery. So far so good I think, except for the possible UTI.

Any recovery advice would be appreciated.

Hugs
    Kim
  2. MelaC

MelaC New Member

Hi Kim my doctor told me that for every hour one is under anesthetic it will take one week for the anesthetic to wear out of your system. Having ME/FM you can double that.

The best thing you can do is drink plenty water to help flush it out quicker and just rest. Do not stop the pain meds if you are still in a lot of pain as the pain will exhaust you even more.

I have had 4 major surgeries in 6 months.The last one was 2 months ago so fully appreciate how you feel. Just let your body guide you. As you say dont fight it.

Hope you feel better real soon

Mela
  3. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you both for your advice. I do appreciate it. I wish I was not so nauseaus (sp). I feel like I am going to get sick and the phenergan knocks me out even more. I guess I will just take it and sleep it off.

Did your other muscles feel fatigued as well? My hips and back are hurting so bad. Could be this uncomfortable chair though.

Thank you again for your support.
    Hugs
    Kim
  4. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Hi Kim, I feel really sorry for what you are going through. I know how tough it is with kids too. Is your hubby helpful? I hope so, it took mine awhile to rise to the occasion but has done so graciously. I feel my major flare that I've having since the birth of my last baby was caused by a postpatum hemorage I had. I nearly died I lost so much blood so qickly. This has been going on now for 18 months. I've felt a little better the last few days. Keeping my fingers crossed for Christmas & will for you too! Nap time now. Take care, your in my thoughts, your FM bud,Laura
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Thank you Laura --- think it's nap time for me too - so drained. Wow... I feel for YOU, that is scary. Please get better. Yes, we need to get better for the holidays. Wishing that for you.
    Bad part is, I have to go back in for Surgery on Jan 3rd for removal of a lymph node. Wow... sounds like I may be down for quite a while.
    Wishing you the best & praying for you too :)
    Big Hugs
    Kim
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hope you come back to this post today, well it's night time now. :) Is today any better for you? I hope you are not in too much pain. Do you have someone helping you with the Christmas shopping? Hope your hubby is taking good care of you. Let me know how you are. Kim :)
  7. MelaC

MelaC New Member

sorry to hear you will need another surgery. Listen to your body it will tell you what to do. It is most likely telling you to rest so enjoy it. I know it is difficult being a mum and wanting to care for our families but sometimes we all have to pull together.

I have always been very lucky in that my hubby has always helped when I have had surgery and so have my boys even when they were little.

You need to build up your strength for your next surgery and you can only do that by focusing just on yourself. I know its tough but I am sure your daughter can take over most of the work. Thats what being a family is all about being there for each other.

Take care and I hope you feel better real soon
    Mela
  8. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Kim (boltchik) how are you? I am doing okay... slowly but surely. I had actually done most of my shopping prior to surgery, just some loose ends left to tie up. Hubby has to work but managing to take pretty good care of me. HUGS!

Hi Donnaeil - you are right about those stomach muscles, never realize how everything seems to come from your stomach muscles. Yes, I am letting my daughter help with the dishes and dinner, so that does help. The little guy (3) is very sympathetic to mommys "boo boos" - he still think the doctor hurt mommy (when he saw the big incision line). I tried to explain to him that he fixed me, but I will take the extra kisses anyway.

Hi Melac - I will try to take more time for myself. You are right, I take care of them all the time, I need to realx a bit and let them do there thing. Thank you for your advice and concern.

Thank you ALL for your warm wishes I really appreciate it. I will try not to jump back into things too quickly, but I do feel myslef slipping back into full force mode, but at night I pass out... my body has had enough.

Big Hugs to all of you!
    Hope you all are doing well.
    Kim