Recovering From Hard Fall

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 17, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, hope y'all are doing well. I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that I fell off a step stool at work onto the cement floor. The good news is that nothing appears to be broken and I appear to be healing. I was leveling shelves, which I almost never do, and as I stepped down to the lowest step on the step stool, I missed. Somehow, the step stool was flung out from under me and I was flung backward onto my left hip and forearm. I was stunnded and in a lot of pain for a minute or two. I rolled onto my right side and propped myself up. Several coworkers helped me stand.

I mention this because a few years ago, this would have sent me into a severe FMS flare. The only thing still hurting is the deep tissue in my butt. It has not caused any FMS pain in the old tender areas.

I consider myself almost free of my FMS symptoms but I still suffer from CFIDS/ME symptoms. The last two years have been very challenging with one thing after another. That I can continue to work part time and control my illnesses with continuing my regimen and resting when needed continues to amaze me and I am so very grateful for the healing which has taken place.

I mention it here because I believe that no matter how sick we get, there is always room for hope. What has worked for me may not work for others but everything which has helped me is something I read about here that was helping someone else. I am doubly grateful to all our members for sharing their treatments and for everyone's support and kindness. It is our members here on the CC Board who have been so supportive and I want to thank everyone. I keep y'all in my prayers and hope for healing for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Mikie,

I am so sorry to hear that you has such a hard fall - on cement no less. However, I am so glad that you weren't hurt much worse and that, like you said you weren't thrown into a major flare.

It is wonderful that you can continue to work part time and appear to be so much better than before. Yes, you do make it all sound hopeful for those who are hoping that they ight be ablke someday soon to go back to work, even if it is part time. If I were younger and I had to go back to work it would have to be part time, not alot of NRG and to much pain - yuck !

Yes, thanks for reminding us all that there is hope , for reaching higher goals, whatever they may be. Was wondering how you were doing in your job. It sounds like you are doing well except for leveling shelves. Maybe you shouldn't do that any more :) !!

Take it easy kiddo and continued good luck with your job !! Hope you heal quickly and aren't in so much pain from the fall.

Hugs and blessings,

[This Message was Edited on 05/17/2009]
  3. jole

jole Member

It's always so good to hear from you...and know you're doing well (except for the fall). You've had such an amazing journey and I'm so happy for your results with the FM.

Not trying to make light of your fall, but was it graceful????
    I just hate falling and having people witness it! lol

You, of all people, have been such an inspiration to me from the first day I joined the board when you were a mod. Thank YOU for being here for all of us! Love***Jole***
  4. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I'm so glad U didn't break anything! (On yourself, I mean.)

Sure hope you aren't all bruised up!

I'm sending you a very gentle cyber-hug, just in case!

5. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Good post.... and. GLAD you recovered so well.
    I left you a message on my post on the CFS board.
  6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Wow Mikie, that sounds like some pretty amazing resilience on your part! I'm sure it wasn't at all pleasant, but I can imagine it must be nice to have a bit of a yardstick on how much you've improved from earlier times when an incident like this might have sent you into a tailspin. I would guess you're looking forward to your butt improving so you can put this all behind you. (pun intended). :)

Best, Wayne[This Message was Edited on 05/17/2009]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate all you good wishes and humor.

Granni, I'm no spring chicken, so part time is about all I can muster. I've always thought part-time work is the best of both worlds, especially if one can get time off when one wants it. I like that part. Also, there is always something needing repair or replacement and it's nice to be able to afford it. I'll probably work another five years because in our family, we tend to live into our 90's. Like all of us, I don't want to run out of money before I run out of time. Thanks for your kind good wishes.

Jole, thank you for your kindness. your words touched my heart. I know that not everyone heals the same, but I do hope that people find some kind of encouragement just knowing that healing, even slow, small healing, is possible for some. That means that we aren't hopeless and there is always a chance. I feel very blessed and lucky. As far as gracefulness, this one wasn't pretty. At least, from my perspective, I don't think it could have been. It all happened soooo fast. Last year at our pool, I was up on a higher ladder helping change out some new light fixtures. My partner didn't anchor the ladder properly. It started to go but I was able to think fast. I rode it down and simply stepped off of it just before it crashed to the ground. This time, I was flung backward before I could think. Thanks again for being so sweet.

Pippi, no there was not much in the way of bruising, which surprised me. My left chest area is a little sore, along with the aforementioned butt area. The soft tissue trauma went deep, though. Thanks for the sweet cyber hugs. They do help.

Jim, I came here first so will go read your response on the other board when I am through. I will contact Shirl one way or the other. Thanks for your good wishes.

Wayne, I'm laughing, and laughter is the best medicine. Thanks for the chuckles. My healing has been soooooo slow that I really do have to look back in order to see the progress. When I first came her, I would never have believed progress would be so slow. Still, I'm thankful for that progress because now, I can see the difference.

Again, thank you all so very much. Just spending time here with y'all is healing in itself. Love, hugs, and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Always good to hear from you and although you had a bad fall, I'm so happy for you to be working again and handling the other problems that always crop up with our diseases.

Yes, you always bring hope when you of our very own angels on earth.

Hope the breathing crud is gone now too.

9. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm so glad your OK!,,those falls are scarey!,,i'll keep you in my prayers dear!,,,Your an inspiration to all of us!,,,,,HUgs!,,,Sis

10. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sending hugs to you and my prayers for a speedy recovery! Thank you for the many times you have offered your support to me and great advice too. Hope you are healing well, getting some TLC and getting stronger every day.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Nancy, your kind words touched me. Thank you. The breathing crud is cleared up but the cough lingers on. Like everyone else here, I seem to get over it just to have it reappear. We have never had so many allergy problems in our area. Hope you are doing well.

Sis, thank you for your kind words too and also your prayers. I keep everyone here in mine as well. Only people with chronic illnesses understand the challenges we face.

Julie, yes, it hurts to know that I am klutzy and not a graceful gazelle :) Oh well, better to have hurt pride than broken bones. I went to the Work Comp doc and he took x-rays. He didn't see anything but will send the films to the radiologist to look over. He thought it was a bad sprain. He insisted on prescribing Darvocet and Skelaxin. I still haven't filled them. I told him I have Vicodan, which works fine. He thought I was nuts to try to turn down free meds. Thanks for your sweet words.

Erika, thanks for the hugs and prayers. I am glad if anything I have posted has helped anyone. I love it that we have this place where we can share. Without the info I've gotten here, I'd likely still be bedridden most of the time. My hope is that we can all achieve healing until there is a better understanding of our illnesses and cures.

Again, everyone, thank you all. You guys are great!

Love, Mikie