RECOVERING FROM HYSTERECTOMY

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Well, I had my hysterectomy last Wednesday, the 13th. All went well, except when they tried to put in the epidaural. My doctor told me that besides putting me to sleep, they would like to put in an epidaural so they could get the pain meds in easier. That was fine with me - I had a spinal when I had my C-section and it was okay. So I got to the hospital at 6:00 a.m. They got me ready, put in the IV, and then the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me and then to put in the epidaural. So, I sat on the side of the bed with my legs dangling down, and laid my head down on a pillow that was on a little table in front of me. The nurse stood in front to hold me so I wouldn't move. So, the doctor said she would numb the area with topical anesthetic. Fine - no problem. Then she said she was going to put in the epidaural. Well, I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden I felt VERY WEIRD!!!!! Everything started to turn dark and voices sounded very far away. I thought I was going to faint! I started screaming, saying Stop, I'm going to faint, I'm scared! I kept screaming I'm scared!!!! So finally she said I could lay back down and that they would do the epidaural in the OR once I was asleep. She then said she'd give me something to help me relax. That was the last thing I remember. I don't even remember being wheeled into the OR. The surgery took 2 1/2 hours. They removed the uterus, ovaries and cervix, and hitched up my bladder. I got back in my room in the afternoon and had a morphine pump. Then I got an incredible headache, which took a few hours to go away. But, another side effect was the HORRIBLE PAIN I had in my hips and rear end from laying in one position for a long time. I came home last Friday and have been in constant FMS pain! I have Tylox (Tylenol and codeine) for pain, and that doesn't even seem to help the FMS pain! I started taking Magnesium again and try to exercise my hips and legs as much as I can. I was wondering if this would happen. I don't know how people with FMS can stay in bed for long periods of time without exercising! I can't wait to get on the treadmill!

By the way, the hospital I was in was a Women's hospital. It was great! Instead of food being wheeled in at certain times, they have Room Service just like in a hotel! They give you a menu and you can call up and order whatever you want, whenever you want! If you're on a special diet, they know it already and won't give you food you shouldn't have. Also, the last day I was in there I had a massage!!!! They have a masseuse on contract who comes around to give massages! Of course she didn't massage me below the waist because of the surgery. But it was fabulous!

Anyway, I wanted you all to know how the surgry went and how I'm feeling now.

Annette2
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Well, I had my hysterectomy last Wednesday, the 13th. All went well, except when they tried to put in the epidaural. My doctor told me that besides putting me to sleep, they would like to put in an epidaural so they could get the pain meds in easier. That was fine with me - I had a spinal when I had my C-section and it was okay. So I got to the hospital at 6:00 a.m. They got me ready, put in the IV, and then the anesthesiologist came in to talk to me and then to put in the epidaural. So, I sat on the side of the bed with my legs dangling down, and laid my head down on a pillow that was on a little table in front of me. The nurse stood in front to hold me so I wouldn't move. So, the doctor said she would numb the area with topical anesthetic. Fine - no problem. Then she said she was going to put in the epidaural. Well, I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden I felt VERY WEIRD!!!!! Everything started to turn dark and voices sounded very far away. I thought I was going to faint! I started screaming, saying Stop, I'm going to faint, I'm scared! I kept screaming I'm scared!!!! So finally she said I could lay back down and that they would do the epidaural in the OR once I was asleep. She then said she'd give me something to help me relax. That was the last thing I remember. I don't even remember being wheeled into the OR. The surgery took 2 1/2 hours. They removed the uterus, ovaries and cervix, and hitched up my bladder. I got back in my room in the afternoon and had a morphine pump. Then I got an incredible headache, which took a few hours to go away. But, another side effect was the HORRIBLE PAIN I had in my hips and rear end from laying in one position for a long time. I came home last Friday and have been in constant FMS pain! I have Tylox (Tylenol and codeine) for pain, and that doesn't even seem to help the FMS pain! I started taking Magnesium again and try to exercise my hips and legs as much as I can. I was wondering if this would happen. I don't know how people with FMS can stay in bed for long periods of time without exercising! I can't wait to get on the treadmill!

By the way, the hospital I was in was a Women's hospital. It was great! Instead of food being wheeled in at certain times, they have Room Service just like in a hotel! They give you a menu and you can call up and order whatever you want, whenever you want! If you're on a special diet, they know it already and won't give you food you shouldn't have. Also, the last day I was in there I had a massage!!!! They have a masseuse on contract who comes around to give massages! Of course she didn't massage me below the waist because of the surgery. But it was fabulous!

Anyway, I wanted you all to know how the surgry went and how I'm feeling now.

Annette2
  3. lucky

lucky New Member

My best wishes go out to you for a good recovery. I had the same operation years ago, and I feel for you. Just take it one day at a time and do not rush anything. This is a big operation and is a major adjustment for the body. Do they put you on hormones right away?
    Again, I wish you well and let me know in due course how your recovery is coming along. And, meanwhile, rest, rest and rest again. A soft hug, Lucky
  4. mamusia

mamusia New Member

Annette,

I too have had a hysterectomy and can truly understand what you are going through with both the FMS and the emotions that accompany such a surgery.

You just remember that we are all here for you and keep those legs and hips a movin'....LOL.

Take care!
    Mamusia
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've had a hysterectomy too, in 1994. It was a painful surgery/recovery, but as far as "female" related pain/problems, I have felt great since then. It's definitely true too, the quicker you are up and moving around, the less painful and quicker your recovery is. Hope you are feeling better now.

Karen
  6. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

Just wanted to send well wishes to you. Hope the FMS pain lessens and you start feeling better.