Recovering from wisdom tooth surgery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by butterfly83, Jan 5, 2007.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I just had my wisdom teeth out yesterday morning. The pain medicine has been helping the pain in my mouth pretty well, but I am just so wiped out. I guess all the stress on the body just makes you exhausted.

Still, I'm glad it's over with and its not something I'll have to have trouble with in the future.
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Ouch! I had three impacted wisdom teeth taken out plus a cyst in the jaw, they dare not touch the 4th as it is wrapaped around a nerve. All of them were lying sideways.

They had to cut my jaw. After surgery I looked like I had gone thre rounds with Mohammad Ali. I was bacl and blue.

The meanest thing was. As you know, you cannot use a straw, and I could hardly open my mouth so ate practically zilch for two weeks and IGAINED 2 lbs!!!

Love Annie Cromwell. Get well soon
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had all four out when I was 24. The fire alarm went off while I was in the waiting room. When they finally got me in, I had images of being rolled out into an alley, mid-surgery. I opted for the full anaesthetic.

For the next three days, I took lots of ibuprofen and applied a bag of frozen peas to both cheeks. No dry sockets, thank goodness.

Glad you got it over with. It feels kind of good to have them gone.
  4. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Annie - Luckily I think getting them out sooner rather then later, prevented them from getting in a bad position. I had them out now mainly because they were starting to crowd my other teeth and I went through several years of orthodontics to get perfectly straight teeth, so I didn't want all that work to get messed up.

Kholmes - I did opt for the full anesthesia also. I would never have done it if I had to be awake. The anesthesia made things seem to go very quickly. The only thing I DIDN'T like was that they gave me laughing gas while they were putting the I.V. in, and it really freaked me out feeling completely clear in my mind, but not feeling my body at all. Glad they only did that for a minute. If I'd known, I'd have just told them to put the I.V. in, since with Fibro, we're all used to needles and blood draws.

But anyway, all and all it hasn't been a terrible experience, and it does kind of feel good to feel like I have space in my mouth now. My orthodontist is going to put clear braces on for a few months after my mouth heals, so that all my teeth are in the right positions. It's good to take care of little problems before they become big ones.
  5. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Hope your mouth is healing well. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I kept some tea bags soaking in water in the refrigerator......I would pull one out every once in awhile and put it in the space where my wisdom teeth were. The coldness was very soothing and if I remember correctly there was something beneficial about the tannin in the tea also....hmmmm.....maybe it helped to stop the bleeding?

Hope you're feeling better.