Recumbent Bike

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Yucca13, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Just wondering if anyone uses a recumbent bicycle for aerobic type exercise? I've only used one at PT and am curious to know if I would have to spend a lot of money to purchase one. I saw one advertised at K-Mart for $100. I doubt if they let you try them out. I don't really care about all the bells and whistles - maybe an odometer and a comfortable seat. Any suggestions on brands/price I should expect to pay? (I live in a small town, so maybe I should check out used ones in a city?)

My doctor wants me to break a sweat, but not walk on the treadmill because it is too jarring for the spine. He wants me to get my heart rate up so that natural endorphins will kick in. I like the fact that this kind of bike supports your back while using your legs.
  2. TheAurynn

TheAurynn New Member

Hi yucca,

I have been using a recumbent bike for a few years now, off and on. It has helped me tremendously. I started out going to PT also like you, and then bought the bike for home use. Don't think that the more expensive models are better, I think the MOST important thing is that the seat is very comfortable for you.

I bought mine (can't remember the brand right now and I'm not at home to look) on sale for about $100 at the store "Sports Authority".

Once you purchase one, the thing to remember is to start slowly and work up to more time and more resisitance SLOWLY. If you do it too fast, you will be in too much paint to want to continue.

I am very proud to say that after a looong time of riding this bike (and taking breaks from riding it during bad flares) I am up to 22 minutes at full resistance and doing some light weight training as well. I feel better than I ever have with the fibro, and it makes my life so much better.

Best of luck to you, and remember to pace yourself and go slowly, and hopefully it will help you feel better!!!

Hugs,

Jessica
  3. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I also started using a bike in PT and purchased one from Sears. I forget the brand but it was $399. It has heart rate monitor and differnt programs you can do. I also use light weights (my bike came with 3 sets of handweights 2#,3# and 5#) for most of my 30 min program to get my heart rate up good. I have found it to be the on exercise I can do with my knee replacement and hip and back pain. It does not cause me any problems. I like the different programs becasue if I fell really bad with no energy I can do a lighter one and still get some exercise.

Good luck!!
  4. mejlee

mejlee New Member

I bought the recumbent bike from K-Mart, at mine it was $115 the name is "Level 1 Fitness."

I was worried about the quality, but happily it was more than worth it. It takes a little bit of patience for the assembly but the instructions were better than most.

I have not taken it off of the first level, since I have been in a major flare for over a year now; however, my daughter has tried some of the higher levels and says it stays smooth.

Hope this helps.

Jen
  5. MeNow

MeNow New Member

Hi. I used to volunteer in a nursing home and saw them using a normal stand up exercice bike the seat taken off and sit the patient on a confortable chair, with the luxery of the armchairs. I did the same with my dusty old bike, if it was not for the sweat....I would use it more but did use it a lot before.
    Could that be of some use????
    Menow
  6. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

about this a day or so ago.

I bumped the answers I got for you.

7. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I appreciate the information about the recumbent bike. Hope to invest in one soon. Something about this time of year makes me feel extremely fatigued, but must keep trying to exercise.
    My mother, who is 85, and healthy as can be, told me last time I talked with her that they tell "the old folks" to keep on moving. I didn't want to argue with her that it wasn't that simplistic for me. Wish it was.