Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Nov 29, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

Does anyone here with FMS also have recurrent urinary tract infections? Do you think it's caused by the FMS, medications or what is your theory?

I have had about 8 infections this year. Each time it flares my FMS and makes me really sick. Any advise to this problem would be appreciated. Help!

Thank you,
    Eliza
  2. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have had this problem too the last year. I don`t know what`s going on. I had one about a month ago and a also had a bad kidney infection. I was on two kinds of antibiotics. I just finished them about a week ago and now a feel like its back again.

I always have some pain in the bladder area and have to go frequently. This has started to worry me especially since the kidneys are involved. So, I`m going to demand the doctor check my kidneys out.

I have read though that frequent urination and irritable bladder are symptoms of Fm. I don`t know about the infection.
  3. STEFFI43

STEFFI43 New Member

Hi,

I also have FMS and did have frequent urinary tract infections. I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis which is common with FMS patients, as is having Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Check with a Urologist on the bladder problem. There is a test that can be done and Rx to take.

Stephanie in South Carolina
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Are you sure there's an infection each time?Like the person who posted above, I also have interstitial cystitis as a symptom of FMS/CFS. The treatment for it is quite different to that for bacterial cystitis, & acidic food such as cranberries has to be avoided. Check out the Interstitial Cystitis Network message board whilst you're waiting to see a urologist. Best wishes to you Eliza.
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

so I have to make sure to empty it all the way or I will get an infection. They found it by doing a cysto a few years back. I just sit a couple seconds more than I think I need to and a bit more will come. . .lol - does this fall under "too much info"?

Hope you find your reason.

Kelly
  6. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

urinary tract infections, alot this year also. I didn't relate it to fm. Because i have major kidney problem. a year ago had one kidney removed. and the other kidney reconstructed. So i thought the infections was from my kidney not working properly. Just finished antibiotics for uti, and have an apt with urologist so i hope to find out what is going on. I hope you find a reason for them, and if you find out that it is from FM let me know thankyou. these infections scares me, i don't want to go on dialiys(spell check). So i am still searching for a reason for the uti's.
    Becca
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Frequent UTI's are a sign of diabetes, too.

Do any of you who have frequent infections have any close relatives who are diabetics? If so, you probably should be tested!

Also, women who take a lot of tub baths get a lot of UTI's.

Just a couple things to think about.

Hugs,
    Janet