Red Blood in Eye

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Anyone know what causes this? I've only had it happen once before and didn't get an answer then.

The inner half of my left eye is all red like a broken blood vessel. The rest of the eye looks fine.

It doesn't hurt, just feels a little swollen and makes me blink more!

Any ideas?

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Greenbean - you seem rather young for this but it might be the beginnings of macular degeneration. My mother who is 91 has it. Hers was the "wet" kind, characterized by bleeding in her eyes. My dad has the dry kind, with no bleeding. The wet kind is more serious.

You should get your eyes checked out. If you do have it, there are treatments they can do now in the early stages to prevent it from becoming serious. My mom unfortunately has lost much of her sight due to macular degeneration.

And I think there are some not so serious conditions which can cause bleeding in the eye, but in any case get to an eye doctor to find out what's going on.

Mary
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Greenbean,

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes it means nothing, and sometimes it means that my blood is a little too thin. So I cut back on vitamin E and Omega 3's for a while.

The first time it happened to me, I was brushing my teeth, and noticed a lot of blood. My first thought was gingivitis, but when I raised my head and looked into the mirror, the white of my right eye was bright red. I got scared and went to the ER. There they asked me if I had been taking aspirin, and I had.- a lot. So they told me never to take it again, and that I was lucky that the hemorage had not happened in my brain. I went to work after
    that. I wore dark glasses, so as not to scare my students.LOL

I would suggest that you have your GP investigate, it, or your opthamologist. That way you will know for sure. I know it is scary, but it is best to know, and it could be nothing.

Good luck,
    Terry
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

It's kind of funny that my DD called last night to tell me about some letters she had gotten from my mother that were written about 25 years ago. Evidently Mom wrote these family letters and sent them out to the family. I don't remember the one DD was reading to me, but it was about her dad and I.

I left him because he beat me up. He held me up by my hair and hit me in the left side of my face. My left eye was totally black and blue and there was a blood like this (only worse) in my eye.

I decided this morning that we must have reminded my eye of that so it was trying to give us a pic of what it looked like then!

I did take two aspirin yesterday, but that was all. I don't take any supplements except calcium.

I'll call my doc.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have had this happen a couple of times and the dr says it's like a bruise in the eye and nothing to worry about. It looks a lot worse than it feels. (and people wince when they look at you!)

A friend of mine (non fibro) also has had this a couple of times and her dr told her the same thing. Can be caused by rubbing your eye too hard, the pressure from vomiting or even a really bad sneeze or cough.

I bruise fairly easily everywhere, too.

Good Luck

Sue in Ontario
  6. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

The same thing happened to a woman I know. Her dr said it was caused by Ibuprofin.
    Even the hazel-color part of her eye was changed...but she said she wasn't "seeing red."

Lea.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I did have this happen once before about 5 years ago now that I think about it.

I went to my eye doc who also told me it was nothing to worry about and it would clear up in a few days.

I do look lovely! I am wearing pink today and usually wear pink/maroon eye shadow when I wear this top. Today I am wearing teal! I decided pink eye shadow with this eye wouldn't look too good!!

Hugzz

Greenbean

8. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Quite a few years ago I had an upper GI - I told the doc that I have a very bad gag reflex. He said everyone says that...well I woke up from the twilight vomiting and it ended up blowing blood vessels in both eyes. I looked like a scary monster - (nothing new there.)

The ironic thing is that I was driving to go visit a friend and I blacked out and hit a car. The police and ambulance drivers wanted me to go to the hospital but I kept insisting I was fine...I forgot how I looked and they assumed that it happened in the accident.

Long story short - blood in the eye has many causes and you should check with your doc....
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

You go girl, wearing make up and all with that eye.

If it was me, I would probably just hide out for a while and let my makeup case get dusty....lol

Sue