Red Cross to ban blood donation by CFSers?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springrose22, Apr 7, 2010.

1. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I just caught the tail end of this on the news earlier. The Red Cross is considering not allowing people with ME/CFS to donate blood. They are worried about XMRV spreading. This was a Canadian station. I think this is a really good idea. Really good idea. Marie
  2. loto

loto Member

if there's any mention of banning FMSers from donating blood.

I've never given blood since having the diagnosis of FM, but I'm just curious to know.

3. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

It is my opinion that FM and CFS are symptoms of a larger infectious picture, so no one with those symptoms should give blood.

I think many of these people have babesia (parasitic infection of the red blood cells), borrelia burgdorferi (lyme), and bartonella.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/09/2010]
  4. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

* This is the thread we might want to use for this topic, yes?

I copied my previous post to here [from when the reply button forced us to start new threads to make relies].

Ok, here we go:

About the Red Cross in Canada banning blood donations from chronic fatigue people -

That raises a lot of questions:
    - is it okay for Fibromyalgia people to donate blood?
    - does the Red Cross know something about XMRV that they are not telling us?
    - how would they know if someone is "CFS positive"? { since most of us don't ever get a real diagnosis, there is no test for it. }

And in General:
    - what about XMRV in the general population, those millions of people who do NOT have CFS but carry the XMRV - won't they be contaminating the blood supply?

5. quanked

quanked Member

6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

XMRV isn’t the only pathogen people with CFS may be harboring. Regardless of the official policy of the Red Cross, I hope that no one with CFS will donate blood. Until we know the cause of this disorder and if/what infection(s) we could transmit, I think the risk is just too great. I wouldn’t want to share this with my worst enemy (O.K., maybe an arrogant M.D. or two, strictly for professional development purposes).