Red Flushed Face with a Flare UP.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by akandmk, Apr 5, 2008.

1. akandmk

akandmk New Member

Hi all. I was wondering if it is only me, or does anyone else get really flushed and red right before a flare comes?
    I mean I am normally casper the friendly ghost pale, but when a flare up is getting ready to come on I turn bright red like sun burn red from the face down to my neck. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this?
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Most of the time this is caused by not being able to properly metabolize aldehydes.
  3. akandmk

akandmk New Member

I think I am going to have to make an appt with a reumy. My family doc did a complete blood work on me before sending me to the neuro and it came back okay. Is it a special test for lupus or would it have shown up on the cbc? I do get the dry mouth and I've noticed that the joint pain is getting worse. Normally my temp is now between 96.5 and 98.9. I haven't checked it when I am lobster red yet so I think that the next time I am home and start to get really flushed I better look into it.
    Also i know lupus is an autoimmune disease, but is there medicines that help with that too?
  4. BlairLaw

BlairLaw New Member

Getting red flushed face was part of my inital symptoms. My whole body got red flushed at one point, then my face got numb and has stayed numb pretty much for a year now.

I still get the flushed red face every now and then usually around the time I am really fatigued. One of the docs I saw thought I had Dermatomyositis. However, they do not believe that I have that now. Guess I may have to wait and see.

Lyrica, which does not help a lot of people, seems to help the pain and burning that I have tha comes all over especially from the flushed face.
  5. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

I'm beginning to think that the flushing may signal I'm heading to some down time. It can happen and I'm not even aware of it until someone points it out. There is no heat like there is with a "heat flush" say from postmenopause for example. It's also a different sort of red. It glows a bit, not like overheating red which can have sweat, too. Recently I noticed my hands and feet do it separately from the body flush. It's very odd and kind of creepy for me anyway. I was asked twice last week if I was feeling hot and needed the thermostat lowered or wanted a drink of water. LOL! I had to pause and think about what they were saying to me. Just laughed and said I must be excited about something. There was no symptoms from my perspective.
  6. jake123

jake123 New Member

I am another red faced person. I am blonde and when I start feeling bad my face gets bright red cheeks and I know to go home and go to bed. I'll have a low grade fever - 99.5 to 99.8 and I'll need to sleep for about 10 hours.

I had a cousin who had lupus. She died four years ago possibly from heart disease or from a stomach virus. The lupus weakened her heart. She was beautiful and gifted and had a really well paying job.

My obgyn told me to get tested for lupus every year because I had some symptoms and it was better to know it sooner than later.
  7. blueskytomorrow

blueskytomorrow New Member

so don't let this worry you. But I was just checked for hormone producing tumors (pheochronocytoma, adrenal adenomas, carcinoid) because I had high blood pressure and tachycardia. First of all, let me say that most of these are benign. But also, the big red flag on some of these is flushing of the face and upper chest. Apparently, the extra hormones that are produced cause a lot of flushing. Maybe you could look into it from the hormone angle.
    By the way, what they found with me was a very large kidney stone in my bladder, which just goes to show you that you never know . . .
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2008]
  8. akandmk

akandmk New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I am making an appointment monday for the reumy clinic here. I think it would be best for me to just play it safe and rule out anything before it creeps up on me like the FM. I normally run about 96.5 -97.9 but i took my temp last night and it was 98.0 and then 98.9 an hour later while my face was flushed. I've been keeping a journal and I am taking it with me when I do finally get in to see the reumy.
  9. blue_eyezz36

blue_eyezz36 New Member

Also, a flushed face can be one of the many syptoms of Cushings Syndrome. Which, they think I might have besides the fibro. If there is anyone else out there that has this syndrome could you please respond. Thanks.