Red, flushed face

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toddm, Feb 11, 2009.

1. toddm

toddm New Member

A new symptom has popped up, my face / upper body is always red, flushed and to me feels hot. It looks like I have a sunburn all the time. My neuro picked up on it and has ordered a tilt table test looking for autonomic problems. Does anyone else have the red face thing going on? It's been a roller coaster 3 years now with more flair ups than remissions.
  2. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Yes, I have that, too. I have had CFS and Fibro for almost 13 years. The redness was never there until I got sick.

It's worse when I'm feeling hot or feeling really stressed or having a very bad few days after doing too much. Also can't use real hot water or scrub my face. I think some supplements make it worse, too, but can't really pinpoint which ones.

I have problems that appear to be related to the autonomic nervous system from what I've read. I went to a dermatologist way back and he felt it was partly rosecea, but I beg to differ and know it's part of this stupid disease CFS.

3. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I also get the flushed face and it gets really red. It always scares anyone around me and I've been told by numerous relatives that I have BP problem but when they check my BP it is always low.

I don't have the flushed face always. It comes out at different times and I get really hot. I just figured since I had a hysterectomy a few years ago that this was hot flashes.

Does anyone have any more information to share? I sure would like to do some of my own research before I have to see my neuro in one month for my final check on my cervical disc fusion.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

This just started happening to me this week. I usually tend to feel too warm, but this week I have been mostly freezing, and my Reynauld's has been acting up, too. However, all week, when I have been too cold and then managed to warm up, I have gone straight from freezing to boiling (no in between). My skin (on my hands, feet and face) has gone from blue and/or waxy white to bright red and warm. I have no idea why this is.
  5. Sophiaz

Sophiaz New Member

I don't have this myself with my POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) but have read many posts by patients who do.

Your doctor needs to give you a paper with an order to have urine collections when you have symptoms. People with Flushing often have abnormal levels of of methylhistamine in their urine. (It's the primary urinary metabolite of histamine) But you NEED to catch urine within TWO HOURS of such an episode to catch the higher levels.

Visit the message boards of I think I have seen lots of discussion there but can't remember. I have a paper here beside me that mentions this which is the only reason I am typing and sound informative!? I wish I had the link where I printed the article from. but hope this helps a little bit.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2009]
  6. valliali

valliali New Member

facial flushing was my first symptom. i had never ever flushed, or blushed before, and it came on suddenly and super intensely. for the first year that i was sick, the flushing was out of control. i would frequently flush, burning red, for like ten hours. i went to see derms who all said it was not rosacea.
    i believe that this is true because the flushing has gotten way better over the last six or seven months. i sometimes am aware of it, but it is NOWHERE like the burning red face i had before. i believe that propranolol has helped a great deal, but i notice it is much less even without it.
    i have a lot of autonomic problems, so it seems that this is the cause. but i also wonder if it could be some kind of immune response.
    there is a strong link between mast cell activation and pots. i've had my tryptase levels checked, but not during a flare, nor have i had my histamine levels checked. i have heard that the mast cell disorder can be very hard to detect in people with autonomic dysfunction.