red sore spots on head

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GigglePoet, Jul 30, 2008.

1. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI All,
    has anyone here ever had a problem with sore swollen red spots on their scalp. They feel like pimples or pustules and the skin feels swollen. I'm having a lot of trouble with these things right now. I have treated with topical antibiotic ointment but no response. Today I started using the Acyclovir ointment. If you have had them did you find anything that helped.

Thanks so much
    ~ Dee
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I had them when I was 18 on my head, that was how my psoriasis started, red spots on my scalp. I am now 43 and have it all over my body, however, Humira has cured the psoriasis on my skin but not the psoratic arthritis.

Good luck, I would go see a dermotologist for this if you can.

Mickey
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

It's possible they're just skin inflammation or zits -- summer can be really difficult on us because our bodies are always perspiring, especially our scalps. I've been actually using a shampoo for dandruff that has salycitic (sp?) acid (not for people doing the guiai protocol!) in it, and it has helped these heal quicker.

Another idea -- if you have recently started new meds or diet, you might be detoxing. I have more skin problems on the whole when I change my routine. For that, lots of water!

Another idea -- if it is summer and you don't like hot water so much for hair washing, could be that your pores are getting clogged up. I used to stay at a house for vacations that did not have hot water (unless you boiled some yourself). Usually, I didn't want to be bothered about heating water for hair washing, so I'd just wash my hair in the sink -- COLD! My hair got clean, but my scalp would break out until I was back at home and could use nice HOT water for a change.

If you can, you may want to try a few different kinds of medicated shampoos to see if these can help you heal.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2008]
  4. Chrissylu

Chrissylu New Member

I had them too. I actually searched online to find out what kinds of things other people used to get rid of them. Well, the one I tried was the easiest and cheapest. I just started washing my hair with anti-bacterial liquid hand soap. It worked like a dream. Try it and see if it helps you any.

Chris
  5. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

hey Guy's,
    Thank you for the fabulous info. Do any of you know what these litthe things are. Actually I have been going to a dermatologist. I'm not sure about her. One I have recently had a staph infection and on antibiotics( Doxycycline ) as well as right before that I had some Pillar cysts removed. After the second batch had been removed I started getting all of these little red spots and bumps coming up. My scalp is tender and feel.s like there are tunnels that are raised up. Well I have used antibiotic saves and no response and then I used Ketoconozol incase it was a yeast and not much response with that ither. I saw a doctor today and he didn't know what it was ither...errrrrrrrr... I do want to say that I am having a flare on my face as well as fybro flare so it all is running together I guess.
    That is scary about the psoriasis. Goodness! I can't use any shampoos that have any fragrance or odor as I have enviromental illness( Mcs)
    Glad you guy's put in a response thank you! and if you know what these are called let me know

Thanks GigglePoet
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

I had exactly what you are describing and my (excellent) dr. said they were an infection of the hair follicles. I was rx'd a Z-Pak and they went away.

yes, they are really painful as they are developing, sometimes very itchy, and if I scratched them, a scab would form.

Hope you find what helps!

findmind
  7. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Sounds like foliculitis. I have had it for years. Use a shampoo with sacilyic acid. Walgreens brand is fine. Also the dermatolgist can give you a Rx for Clindomyacin solution to put on your scalp.

The best thing to do is not touch it, but I have a little OCD and I pick at mine which aggravates it.

Good luck.

M J