Red Yeast Rice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeronsmom, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

for those using this for high Cholesterol, exactly what is this? I am really nervous about taking Lipitor.
    do I go to a health store for this or a Drug store?
    should I talk to my Dr before I use Red yeast rice and
    Co Q 10? any help would be great.

love to all, Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hard to say, let alone type, isn't it? Let's use RRY.

Hi, Ann,

Of course you should talk to your doctor about any new health regimen you want to try but he or she may not know about RRY. It was my PA who first told me about it - she's very good and her husband is an excellent rheumy. The local health food store owner has a sign on her counter telling how well her mother, who had very high cholesteral, is doing on the regimen too.

You might want to ask your doc if he or she'll support you trying the combo of RRY, Co-Q10 and Omega-3 capsules for three months. There may be a reason they don't want you to try it, for example, if you have a family history of heart disease or if your cholesterol is extremely high.

If you give it a try you should have blood work done to check your cholesterol levels beforehand and again in three months, or at least that's what I've been advised and do.

I think it's a good alternative to statins. Good luck!!

Marta
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]
  3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Well, I do have family history of heart disease, my dad died of a massive heart attack at the age of 46, my mother has angina and has been in and out of the hospital because of heart problems, my good cholesterol is very good but my bad cholesterol is 4.6 dr would like to see it at 3.5

I spoke to a pharmacist (sp) this evening and he said I should get my Dr to put me on Zocor instead of lipitor, so when I see him Monday I will ask him that.

love to all, Ann
  4. revlcb

revlcb New Member

I used RRY for a few years when I was on a low-carb diet, to minimize the risk of the high cholesterol diet. I also saw the negative effects of Lipitor my husband was going through and wanted to avoid the side effects.

RRY is just a natural statin drug. I took 600mg. of RRY twice per day (which was the recomended dosage on the bottle)and by the end of the two years I was on it, I did suffer elevated liver enzymes that one would see in a standard stating drug. It took about 6 months for my liver enzymes to return to normal.

So, my opinion (for what it's worth) is that you make sure that your Dr. knows you're taking the "natural" remedy, so that he can routinely run liver tests, just as he would with the "modern" statins.

On another note...my BIL takes Olive Leaf Extract for high-cholesterol and is very pleased with it's effectivness and I've not heard of any side effects.