Redish nose, Pinkish face?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by myjoy, Mar 13, 2007.

1. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Over the past few months or so, I've noticed I have a redish nose, and slightly pinkish cheeks. They feel warm to me, too.

I've never had rosacia (sp?), and my tests for lupus always come out negative. (I have 3 distant cousins w/lupus).

I had a hysterectomy 1 1/2yrs ago. I'm on an Estradiol patch, so I've never had a hot flash/flush.

Is this FMS related? Or something else? I've never thought to talk to my doctor about it until now. I don't see him until april 2nd.

Thanks,
    myjoy

2. jmq

jmq New Member

I get the exact same thing. I also get red around my neck sometimes too. I have also been tested for Lupus and was negative. Was dx with FMS. Lets see what others have to say..

jmq
  3. romalaw

romalaw Member

I also get what I called inflammed cheeks, sometimes it's worse when I've crashed or flared, also my neck and throat area. Also, a few years ago I was getting red patches (no itch and they would fade within a couple of hours) on my knees, elbows, and knuckles. No doc has been able to explain, had all the requisite testing too.
  4. vafmschick

vafmschick New Member

I have rosacea and your symptoms sound like mine. I don't know if FMS is related but I happen to have that, too. I flush a lot and my cheeks look like I just went out in the cold air. I cover it with makeup because I don't want to take the antibiotic cream the derm suggested.
  5. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Thanks for your responses. I'm not alone!

Chick---I know a gal with rosacea, and her cheeks are beet red, almost all the time. Are there different levels of this, because mine's not that bad.

Guess I'll ask my doc. Thanks again!

myjoy
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

My cheeks were red. I never had that prior to going on Lyrica and Welbutrin. I have stopped Lyrica and should know in a week or so if I no longer get that flushed deal. If I continue to get it then it is the Welbutrin. I am not on any hormones and have had hot flashes. This is like a non-stop hot flash. Flash is short ... mine has been going on since starting new meds.

My poor kitty is going to be mad at me. I have been gone the last 2 nights and she is all snuggy on me right now and I have to leave her again to go to the Optomitrist. Meannn Mommy.
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

I have rosacea, and none of the meds from the Derm. helped much.

I started rubbing a little virgin, organic coconut oil on my face at least once a day, and it's cleared up! I think it's been over a month now, and my skin looks better than it has in decades, so I doubt if it's coincidence.
  8. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Hi there -

Sounds like Rosacea ! Menopause can just make rosacea worse. If it is rosacea - start on meds now and it pretty much controls it. Watch out what your triggers are - like stress, or hot spicy foods, sudden changes in weather, etc.
    A new drug has been out for rosacea and from what I heard they are having good results with it.

Stefanie
  9. msgerman

msgerman New Member

have it also.some days very light some days very vivd but always there.
  10. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

I would guess the Wellbutrin. I have taken it for a long time and I really dont think its as bad as when I first started taking it ( I am now taking thyroid meds and that does it to me too- so hard to tell right now) sometimes it would feel like my face was almost burning. I did notice that when my facec would start doing that I would start feeling more of the effects of the Wb so I cont taking it and its just fine.

Glad you got a Lupus test re: that rash, that was smart.

Good luck - Bdroop
  11. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

You know I have wondered to if rosacea is related to fibromyalgia. I too, was tested for Lupus - and the test came back negative.

I must tell you - I noticed the Rosacea when I started taking thyroid medication. I take Synthroid ! At one time I took Cytomel as well - but made me feel too hyper. Doctor told me time is now to start taking meds for Rosacea - this way it controls it from getting worse. And he said it does get worse if you don't start controlling it.
    I take Docycycline once a day for it. Completely controls the redness. I use to use the metrogel ointment - was just too harsh on my sensitive and dry skin. Rosacea even can affect the eyes. So I have drops that I use for my eyes.
    Now if I stop my docycycline - my face appears to have a very bad sunburn. And it hurts and burns. And it always feels very warm. So maybe you do have Rosacea too.

Regards, Stefanie
  12. romalaw

romalaw Member

13. FM58

FM58 New Member

Rosacia was supposed to be a little bumpy & slightly itchy?

That's what I knew of others who had Rosacia had symptoms of.

Now I get that very red nose - looking like I'm a drunk (haha) & yes I too have noticed the slightly pink cheeks. Now I am aware that this is a "buterfly" rash - the way it is shaped on my cheeks.

I have always been negative for Lupus. However, perhaps it is the wrong Lupus test that thesy are using. I know of doc's that go by the symptoms & not necessarrily the blood work.

There is a Dr. Wallace in Los Angelos, CA that does the most definitive Lupus testing. So, if you can get to him, more power to you!

Best of luck figuring this out!
  14. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

I too have Rosacea. I think its related to the fibro, I mean, look how many of us on here have it! I can't do anything for mine because I have no insurance. Mine isn't very bad though and I hope it never is.
  15. jake123

jake123 New Member

I've been diagnosed with roseacea, I've taken the meds, nothing, nothing, nothing cleared up.
    My ob-gyn told me to ask to be tested every year for lupus especially since I had a close relative with it and because I have autoimmune problems. Osteoarthritis and vitiligo. His nurse was tested and found negative back in the early 90's. Ten years later she was tested again, she had it and also had some organ damage.
  16. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Thanks everyone for your responses....but guess what? Yesterday, when I had my appt. with my rheumy, I forgot to talk with him about this!

The fog has gotten worse for me lately. I wish I would have writen it down. I remembered everything else, at least!

myjoy