Reduced Fibro symptoms at sea level? Seattle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jana1, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I was in Seattle for a week visiting my son. I live in Wyoming. I was so much better all week! The muscle aching was almost gone. Last night I flew home and this morning, guess what? right back to the same ole stuff.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know some people on the board are in Seattle, what do you think?

Anyone else with experience with different altitudes?

Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2007]
  2. Daisys

Daisys Member

That's really funny--When I go back to Colorado, I feel great and pick up the Seattle cruds at SeaTac on my way home. Go figure.
  3. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Daisy...wouldn't you know this darned FM would be opposite for you?

Just typical of FM. No rhyme or reason.

I still hope to hear from others who have noticed any change good or bad when the elevation changes
  4. 143alan

143alan New Member

I didn't have many symptoms when I lived in coastal NC where it is flat and in some places below sea level. I moved to the hills of TN and started hurting all the time and having more symptoms.

Thanks
    Nancy
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

I guess, I should have expounded on that--it is the high altitude that gives me a lift. When I spent a few days in the mountains just east of Seattle, I also had more energy than usual.

I've heard there may be two reasons: the thyroid kicks in a little more at high altitudes, and there's a chemical reaction at high altitudes to have a higher mix of oxigen in the blood.

As far as you feeling better here, a lot have mentioned feeling better anywhere they go on vacation, because there's so little pressure or stress when on vacation.

Actually, now I'm remembering a thread that someone asked where is best to move. Some said they felt better at higher altitudes, and others said lower was better for them. So,....I guess you and I should trade places! :-D
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

I didn't see any difference. Glad it helped you.
  7. mujuer

mujuer New Member

last week? I live here on the water and we are moving because the weather is so cold and rainy and I only feel good when it warms up.
  8. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

mujuer, yes, the weather was wonderful! A few people have told me I got too good as week there, and it is NOT that nice as a rule. Where are you moving to?

Engel and Goldy, I guess what you are saying proves what I say about FM....NOTHING is consistent, and NOTHING makes sense. It is what is the most frustrating thing because we don't learn what makes us better or worse...we have nothing to follow...I think that is what makes most of us depressed and feeling like we are a little crazy.

Manager, your experience is the same as mine..but Daisys is almost opposite. I hadn't tied it into oxygen, but I think that might be an avenue to explore.

I have never heard the expression "Seattle cruds" It made me laugh.

I will go back to visit soon and maybe have an entirely different experience. Thanks again for all the contributions.

Jana

9. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Just got back from a cruise vacation to the eastern carribean. I thought it was the lack of stress that helped to eliminate most of my FMS symptoms. Maybe it was the sea itself and/or the heat?

The only difficulty I had while on the cruise was due to the deconditioned muscles from FMS -lack of use. Either I stayed in my room or walked, and walked, and walked, as well as climbing many flights of stairs. I walked through the pain as I really had no choice if I wanted to enjoy myself and I surely wasn't going to let my sore muscles stop me from this much needed vacation.
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I went to Longbeach, WA a few years ago by myself. I stayed at a B&B and spent a lot of time sitting on the deck watching the ocean and reading a book. Lovely way to spend a few days!

I did feel better there but I think it was the stress relief. I live in central Washington and our home is actually only at 432 feet above sea level. Guess you could say we live in a dip!!

I always feel better when we go out in the motorhome, too. Stress relief again I think. Vacations (like naps!) are a good thing!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  11. kevieb

kevieb New Member

my daughter spent 2 1/2 month at seattle children's hospital last summer. we spent the first week in seattle with her and i decided i could live there because it was so green and beautiful----when we came back about a month later i was MISERABLE. i think that my body could not handle the changing weather. i supposed that all of us have different "requirements" for feeling better (or worse?).
    christine