Reference Sleep apnea (Apnoea)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by president, Sep 4, 2002.

1. president

president New Member

Hi Peeps
    This might be of help to Apnea patients.
    Last November I was diagnosed with sleep apnea without having to go through the sleep lab,just on the oxiometer readings alone there was enough evidence to confirm its presence.
    I was given a cpap machine immediatly and that was set at a pressure of 8. After the initial panic attacks of which there was many through have to wear a full face mask I settled into a routine to comply with cpap therapy.
    After a few weeks my children (teenagers)said they could still hear me snoring (I'm a Widower)so back off to the hospital technicians who then put the pressure up to 11 which gave me better results.
    As I am a member of the sleep apnoea trust association I started looking at the different machines available, and with the help via a prescription from my hospital doctor purchased an auto cpap machine with humidifier from resmed uk Milton Keynes.
    As these work automatically i:e detect when an apnea starts, will automatically raise the pressure to the right setting then revert back down to a lower pressure till it detects another apnea.(My average pressure over the last few weeks has averaged 13.6 and has been as high as 15.8)The humidifier is a god send (no more dry throats and a also a better nights sleep).
    The reason for this post is after having to retire two years ago at the age of 53 and 23years service with the same company with health problems angina/ memory loss/not being able to concentrate and total fatigue and not knowing why,I have now been back into full-time employment for three months and enjoying getting my life back again.
    I know there are many people out there that have gone undiagnosed who are really suffering.
    Its been a big uphill struggle but at last I'm getting there.
    God bless take care of yourselves
    Barry
  2. president

president New Member

Hi Peeps
    This might be of help to Apnea patients.
    Last November I was diagnosed with sleep apnea without having to go through the sleep lab,just on the oxiometer readings alone there was enough evidence to confirm its presence.
    I was given a cpap machine immediatly and that was set at a pressure of 8. After the initial panic attacks of which there was many through have to wear a full face mask I settled into a routine to comply with cpap therapy.
    After a few weeks my children (teenagers)said they could still hear me snoring (I'm a Widower)so back off to the hospital technicians who then put the pressure up to 11 which gave me better results.
    As I am a member of the sleep apnoea trust association I started looking at the different machines available, and with the help via a prescription from my hospital doctor purchased an auto cpap machine with humidifier from resmed uk Milton Keynes.
    As these work automatically i:e detect when an apnea starts, will automatically raise the pressure to the right setting then revert back down to a lower pressure till it detects another apnea.(My average pressure over the last few weeks has averaged 13.6 and has been as high as 15.8)The humidifier is a god send (no more dry throats and a also a better nights sleep).
    The reason for this post is after having to retire two years ago at the age of 53 and 23years service with the same company with health problems angina/ memory loss/not being able to concentrate and total fatigue and not knowing why,I have now been back into full-time employment for three months and enjoying getting my life back again.
    I know there are many people out there that have gone undiagnosed who are really suffering.
    Its been a big uphill struggle but at last I'm getting there.
    God bless take care of yourselves
    Barry