Refined sugars

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bikrgrl, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

I've read that cutting out refined sugars really helps with fibro.
    My question is, what is refined sugars exactly and do you cut it out completely.
    I know it's in "junk food" like chocolate bars, and cakes and cookies, pop, sugar juice. Stuff like that, but are they in all baked goods, such as whole wheat bread? if so, does that mean i should cut out Whole Wheat bread?
    I really like nature valley granola bars in almond flavored. Does that contain too much refined sugars?
    Am i making any sense here?? lol
  2. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

is there any type of diet that is "benefical"?
  3. msSusan

msSusan Member

I find that almost any type of sugar causes me pain including sugar from fruit.

Cane sugar, corn, brown rice syrup, agave, maple and honey cause me pain to varying degrees. Small amounts of fruit seem o.k.
  4. JohnThreeSixteen

JohnThreeSixteen New Member

I've cut out sugar and gluten. But if you don't want to be so strict, at least cut out anything containing sugar (read ingredients) and anything with no fiber in it...refined wheat products, like donuts, cookies, candy, pastries, white bread, etc. Our "bread" was never intended to have the fiber removed. It is not healthy.

I've read that lots of people have cut out sugar substitutes but I haven't disciplined myself to thus far. I HAVE bought stevia, though, and am slowly substituting. It takes some getting used to though, yuk! I've lost 20 lbs doing these things and it was easy.
  5. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

does cutting these things out help with pain?
  6. pasara

pasara New Member

usually means sugar that is added to food, as opposed to naturally occurring, such as the natural sweetness of a piece of fruit. White sugar and basic brown sugar are what most people are talking about. If you need to add a little sweetness to some things using a bit of honey or pure maple syrup is best. Some people feel raw or turbinado sugar is better than white sugar. No matter what form, though, if you consume a lot of sugar of any sort it is not good.

In all our food, the least amount of processing the better. Choose foods that are closest to the form found in nature.

Two great books to read on the processing of common staple foods are

"Twinkie Deconstructed," by Steve Ettlinger

and especially

"In Defense of Food," by Michael Pollan

Both are easy to find in bookstores and libraries.

7. bikrgrl

bikrgrl New Member

I don't eat much sugar and i try (try being the word) to watch my weight. However i do have a granola bar every moring. i thought that maybe i should cut that out.
  8. bellydonna

bellydonna New Member

When i limit refined sugar I feel better .

Stevia is hard for me to use but I've had good results with xylitol.

Im not a xylitol expert to recommend it to anyone. but i do ok with it. I don't think it has a bad aftertaste like I tasted with stevia. is a website i found if ayone wants info