REFRIGERATORS bottom freezer DRAWER VS DOOR? Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Nov 2, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

We were talking about this on another thread, I'd really like some more feedback as to what those of you who have this type of freezer like better, the drawer freezer vs door, on bottom...

What do you prefer, why, and what's the mfr?

It SEEMS to me that the drawer style bottom freezer would be more convenient, that we wouldn't have to be on our knees looking into the back of the freezer for what we've forgotten about???

I'm also thinking it'd be better since our refrig. space is right by the wall.

Any AND all opinions are welcomed, have to make a decision soon...

2. tansy

tansy New Member

works well for me.

3. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Over the years, I've had both. I like the drawer better than the door, but I presently have the door.

A couple things that I look for--

vegetable bin drawers that actually open out far enough that you could put a head of cauliflower or lettuce into the drawer without having to pull the drawer out beyond its natural stopping point.

Shelves on the refrigerator door that aren't flimsy in the front. I want rigid shelves that can hold multiple gallons of milk without sagging.

Now that I think about it, I have a door on my present refrigerator, but then the two shelves inside the freezer are pull out shelves.

I have had refrigerators in the past that the two shelves are attached to the inside of the drawer. The shelves automatically come out as you open the freezer drawer. you can push the top shelf back in so you can get to the stuff on the bottom shelf.

I absolutely love freezers on the bottom and the ref. on the top.
  4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Victoria -

I debated this issue for years, then moved into a place with an existing refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom as I thought I wanted. YAY! Not.

No, you don't have to spend all your time rummaging though to the BACK; you have to spend all your time on your knees rummaging around on the BOTTOM.

A lot of this depends on how limber you are and in what condition your knees. Hmmmm, I guess I'm referring to age.

Needless to say, when the frig needed replacement, I got one with the freezer on the TOP - and the bottom "shelf" of the freezer - as well as some of the refrigerator shelves - pull out! Kenmore has it. I must tell you though, that while I use the freezer pull-out feature (being very careful that nothing falls behind the pull-out "shelf"), I do not pull out the refrigerator shelves. I suspect it's more about not being used to that feature than anything else.

Good freezing to you!

5. findmind

findmind New Member

I love my freezer on the bottom!

Think about it; how often do you go into your frig, and how often into the freezer.

I buy only frozen veggies and meat that I repackage for meals, so I go into the freezer maybe once a day, and sometimes only every 3 days when I make a big crockpot meal.

I go into the frig part more than 6 times a day! So, I'd rather have those items up higher where I can reach them easily.

I agree with the poster about the veggie bins; do make sure a head of lettuce or cauliflower or broccoli will fit in it easily...and celery!

Good luck,
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

I tend to agree with the idea about how many times does one use the freezer vs refrigerated part; that was my logic and why I didn't want a top mount freezer really.

I have a (narrow) side-by-side, and guess what... there's lots of stuff buried anyway in the bottom in the back. So it seems the back AND the bottom of the freezer will always have to be dug out, sigh.

Good advice re the drawers, thanks... right now since I have a side-by-side, my major problem is that I cannot swing the refrigerated door beyond a 90 degree angle, which makes getting the bottom drawers out extremely difficult. Thus, guess what, haven't done it in about 3 years, ewwwww, grossing myself out... another good reason to get rid of it LOL!

Anyway, that's why I figure a top mount refrigerator would be ideal, there will be width available to get the drawers in and out at least (hopefully) a little bit more easily!

Thanks again!

[This Message was Edited on 11/03/2007]