Refusal to Treat Patients with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sshields38, Dec 7, 2011.

1. sshields38

sshields38 New Member

Recently I had a bad flare up of my fibromyalgia symptoms along with panic attacks. Either one of these problems is bad enough alone, but together are pretty horrific. I was not able to get in with my primary doctor for several days and I simply could not wait. So I went to a local Urgent Care that also happens to be affiliated with the hospital network that my physician is. I thought this would make the most sense as they have access to my records. I had been seen there before for another issue, so I wasn't a first time patient either. I fill out the paperwork, give my insurance cards, etc and return to my seat. A moment later the receptionist calls me up to her and says "I'm sorry but we don't treat fibromyalgia patients here, you will have to go to the emergency room". I was humiliated and angry. However, I said quietly and calmly "you are refusing to treat me" ??? She said No, we simply are not equipped to care for you. (BS). This has never happened to me in the 10 years I've had fibromyalgia and I was floored. In this day and age ??? Really???? I went to another urgent care and was treated with dignity, acceptance and empathy. I'll never set foot in that other urgent care again...not even if my life depended on it !
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I am so shocked to hear that you were turned away and did not get any support or help. I can't believe it that you were denied treatment by a medical facility... I thought that they were sworn to help all patients . But I guess that fibro does not count, What they don't have the equpiment to help you, since when do we need "Special Equiptment"?

I have never needed any thing but a doctor to see me, my treatment plan is more perscriptions than special equiptment. I have had injections and and things like that but I don't get what they didn't have to treat you that an ER would.

An ER is NOT going to hand out any narcoitic pain scripts to any one not just a fibro patient.
    I hope that you reported them to the medical board.
    I am so sorry that you had to go thru that.
  3. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Is it legal for the provider to refuse anyone treatment? I would call the ACLU or a disability attorney and find out. If not illegal, it is definitely wrong. I'm sorry you had to endure such treatment, especially when in a flare.
  4. brella

brella New Member

Wow that is insane! I'm sorry to hear that. I feel like that is discrimination and total BS. I don't understand why they would do that to you...