regarding the Blood Donation post

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lindasue, Oct 23, 2002.

1. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Well I did some research after reading about donating blood. I call The City of Hope....Cancer Hospital here in Southern California. I spoke directly with a lady in charge of blood donation and she told me "under no circumstances" should a person with Fibro. donate blood. She was very direct about this answer and told me that expecially a person with cancer does NOT need fibro. in their body. Not only does it cause MORE pain....it breaks down their ability to accept marrow transplants for some reason......I'm sure the same goes for epstein barr/cfids as well. I am not trying to put down someone who does donate blood......I just needed to be informed myself and wanted to pass along what I found out.
    warm, soft hugs,
    linda
  2. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Well I did some research after reading about donating blood. I call The City of Hope....Cancer Hospital here in Southern California. I spoke directly with a lady in charge of blood donation and she told me "under no circumstances" should a person with Fibro. donate blood. She was very direct about this answer and told me that expecially a person with cancer does NOT need fibro. in their body. Not only does it cause MORE pain....it breaks down their ability to accept marrow transplants for some reason......I'm sure the same goes for epstein barr/cfids as well. I am not trying to put down someone who does donate blood......I just needed to be informed myself and wanted to pass along what I found out.
    warm, soft hugs,
    linda
  3. dojomo

dojomo New Member

How very interesting....she is suggesting that it is contagious and there is proof of transfer...via blood.....this is very distrubing...who's policy is this I wonder...the hospitals' or someone bigger like the CDC....DJ
  4. lindasue

lindasue New Member

She said they won't take donations from people with Fibro. I don't know ....... and I don't know if anyone really knows for sure......it is NOT worth taking a chance with another person's wellbeing....I would NOT give a blood donation to my own children or family.....That's sad but I would never want them to have to suffer this DD...Also, Epstein Barr is viral so......there are certain area's in the country where they have documented "outbreak" of Epstein Barr and CFIDS...ie Lake Tahoe area and North Carolina.....
    Again, I don't want to upset anyone....I'm just researching and letting you know what I have found out....Use your own personal judgement from there......It is all a personal choice.
    Love,
    Linda
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Research is pointing to infectious agents as playing major roles in our illnesses. These triggers are probably not "the cause" but are certainly prevalent amongst us with these illnesses.

No one is questioning the good intentions of those who want to donate, but it's just plain not safe to do it until more is known about our illnesses and accompanying infections.

Love, Mikie
  6. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Hi Mikie!!
    You were so kind to respond about the Guai and I haven't even thanked you......So here.....THANK YOU :eek:)!!!!
    Also, thanks for staying so informed about sooooo many of the topics here....ie blood donation.
    I agree!
    Special Love,
    Linda Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

I had always been under the weight limit for donating and once I got over the 115 mark I talked to my md about it. Had polymyalgia rheu., an auto immune problem, that was treated and done with. It can return so we decided that since it was auto immune common sense should rule my decision and to go on the "if you have a question dont do it". I dont think anyone who has a chronic anything health problem shoud give blood.
  8. lindasue

lindasue New Member

I agree......we just don't know what might happen with the person who receives our puny blood.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Love,
    Linda
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are so welcome for the Guai info. I wish I could stay updated on more than time allows now. There is so much to learn about our illnesses and all the new research going on. Several here are the real research warriors and they share so generously with us.

I did get a little burned out on researching and have been away from it for a while. It doesn't take long for the "latest info" to get outdated. Also, I was becoming a little obsessive about my illness and my shrink thought I would do better to take a more balanced approach to my life.

I do have a new therapist who is orienting me more toward wellness and I believe it is helping. I'm doing a lot of spiritual work along with the therapy and I know that is helping.

Love, Mikie