regarding the cheney cfs/heart info...?'s

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Sep 18, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I just read the Cheney article on the home page. He says he's never known a CFS patient to go into "real" heart failure or have to have a heart transplant. Is this just because we don't push ourselves with a lot of excercise (because we can't?)

Do your docs all say your heart looks fine like mine? I have horrible post exertional fatigue and some shortness of breath (that doesn't correlate with the amount of activity I've performed)...other than that..nothing! No chest pains, no passing out, no fluid accumulation.

What are your thoughts on all this heart stuff?

Thanks,
    meow
  2. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I had a stress test for my heart, which I couldn't finish of course. The Cardiologist became very annoyed at my "half-hearted attempt" but finally turned off the treadmill when I passed out and the Tech yelled at him to TURN IT OFF.

The resulting sonargram? of my heart showed no damage. In fact the left ventricle looked very strong. There was some problem with the ECG read-out though but the doctor did not know what it was.

Well, here's what Dr. Cheney (may HIS heart be forever blessed) said in his last conference.

CFS patients suffer from left atrium disease. (Be aware that I've only seen this tape once) It's the left ventricle
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

left ventricle disease that leads to heart failure and which caused him to need the transplant.

I forget which is diastolic and which is systolic...I know...but I've forgotten. Hah!

The atrium is the upper chamber of the heart which opens to draw in the blood that the lower chamber, the ventricle, then pumps out.

There has been damage to the mitrochondria which has resulted in damage to the left atrium so that it can't expand and draw in the needed amount of blood.

This results in not enough oxygen being delivered to all parts of our bodies.

The usual tests don't show this but recently a new test has been found which can identify this.

The fatigue we experience forces us to slow down, preferably to lie down with feet up to take the strain off our hearts and improve blood volume out-put.

THATS why Cheney says that CFS has saved our lives. If not for the fatigue we would suffer the same fate as those with Left Ventricle disease.

This is apparently no longer a theory; other doctors, Peckerman for one, have been studying this too. There have been autopsies done and biopsies taken from living hearts.

Dr. Cheney emphasized that people with this heart problem do not die from it. He's has coined a new term that he (jokingly?) hopes will catch on. CFAC...Chronic Fatigue Associated Cardiomyopathy. And I can't believe I remembered all this!

Remember, it's postulated that it's the lack of oxygen and the low blood flow that causes all the problems from brain to gastro-intestinal to muscle and joint pain and on and on.

So cheer up, people, and put your feet up. Your poor, tired bodies are only trying to save your lives.

Are we having fun yet?

Sandra
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Including blood volume and everything was "perfect" according to my cardio doc. I am glad I had this done as everyone on my Mom's side has died of heart attacks. I've had some chest pressure and dizzyness which only lasts a few seconds. That's why I wanted to get the tests done.

I have concluded that, despite that I am unaware of anxiety at the time of these episodes, they are panic attacks. If I were to take very low doses of my Klonopin all during the day, it might help. As it is, I only take it when I actually feel anxious or have sensory overload.

I think Cheney and the other docs may definitely be onto something, but I am glad and relieved that my heart is in such good condition. I was able to do four minutes on the treadmill, which was at an uphill angle.

A couple of things occur to me. I spent all but the last eight years living at high altitude and developed very efficient oxygen use in my body. Until a little more than four years ago, I was a jockette and very active. I'm thinking that these things may have helped to prevent the heart problems these docs are observing.

Love, Mikie
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

"Dr. Cheney emphasized that people with this heart problem do not die from it. He's has coined a new term that he (jokingly?) hopes will catch on. CFAC...Chronic Fatigue Associated Cardiomyopathy. And I can't believe I remembered all this!

Remember, it's postulated that it's the lack of oxygen and the low blood flow that causes all the problems from brain to gastro-intestinal to muscle and joint pain and on and on.
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

"Dr. Cheney emphasized that people with this heart problem do not die from it. He's has coined a new term that he (jokingly?) hopes will catch on. CFAC...Chronic Fatigue Associated Cardiomyopathy. And I can't believe I remembered all this!

7. lucky

lucky New Member

8. colinjn

colinjn New Member

HI again,
    I'm still trying to work out the implications of the cellular functions Cheney talks about. I am going to hae to sit down witha stack of paper and draw it out, but it seems to imply that if we push ourselves beyond a certain threshold we induce the destructive chemical effect out CFS is protecting us from.

Also I am not clear on what exact mechanism is involved in the body's decision to go the route of CFS vs. terminal ICM. There seems to be something missing from the interview. Perhaps it is explained better on the video.

Quite the thing to work through with brain fog rolling in and out.

Colin

9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I've read about Dr. Cheney for three years now.

When I saw the post with 'Cheney' in it, I could not fathom what VP Dick Cheney had to do with this! LOL I knew he has been in the hospital, but the replies did't seem to make sense! Geeshhhhhhhhh! Of course this is from the person who puts her coffee in the fridge, instead of the creamer!

From, Foggy in Fort Wayne!

Good day to you all!

Kim

10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

All I could think of was the Vice President!

Thanks for 'catching me up'! LOL Now if I could just find my creamer....

Kim
  11. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

I don't get post exertional fatigue or shortness of breath at all, but I used to work out lots, really lots -- taught about five classes a week at gyms until the pain and fatigue were too unbearable. The fatigue went away when the Effexor went away, but the pain didn't go with it.
  12. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

for foxglove 9922 and whit283
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Told me that there is a lot more attention being paid to the role of viral infections in heart disease. He said that when one is infected with a virus, small particles of viral DNA, called prions, can inflame the heart, causing heart failure.

It is possible that all my efforts to rid my body of pathogens has helped my heart. It is also possible that because of being so athletic for so many years, my heart is just stronger and healthier.

The Herpes Family Viruses never go away and that is why I am so vigilant in pulsing the TF's. I've been sick with some kind of virus this last week and am fighting it with Doxycycline because it has gone into a bladder infection and because I could feel my lungs filling up with fluid. I suspect whatever this is has developed into a bacterial infection. I am feeling better and the bladder infection is clearing up. So are my lungs. I have Famvir if the virus hangs on too long.

I think it is important for me not to allow any infection to get a foothold in my body. Right now, I am tired and my lymph nodes are swollen. We have Red Tide here right now and the mold count is very high. When I have allergies, I am more suseptible to getting sick.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]