Reglan - WARNING!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bratnut, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

Hi,

I read a post about which doctor to use written by Amarylis. Amarylis wrote that she was occassionaly taking Reglan and I wanted to issue a caution to everyone here about it. I was on it for a neural condition that affects food moving through my stomach and Reglan is supposed to help that.

It might help that, but what it did cause is horrible depression!! It was the first time in my life that I considered suicide and scared the heck out of me! It took me awhile to figure what was causing it because I didn't think about something for my gut affecting my brain. I quit taking it and the depression cleared up within a day or two. The difference was so fast I was stunned.

I have since spoken to my psychiatrist and PCP about it. Both of them immediately acknowledged that it was a known HORRIBLE drug. I got it from my gastroenterologist who was a temporary doctor in my life and never warned me of the mental side affects. If you look carefully in the side effects hidden in the manufacturers pamplet it lists suicide ideation as a potential side affect. On the web, I found a posting by someone whose normally balanced father commited suicide after taking it.

Also, the pain in my joints, etc. was much worse while taking it!!! It can also cause PERMANENT problems in other areas that involve muscle ticks, tardive dyskinesia and Parkinson like symptoms.

I just wanted folks to know this in case they ever have someone suggest it or know someone who is on it.

Gotta love big pharmaceutical companies. Reglan must be a big seller for them to keep it so quiet.

Patricia
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I don't take but one med, but this is important, I do recall others mentioning REGLAN before here.

I opted for the Patient Handout, as the other information was so technical, that few of us would have understood it. But the two paragraphs 'side effects' and 'precautions' should give anyone an idea what is going on with this med.

If anyone wants the whole pharmacial information, just go to Medscape.

Thanks again for taking your time to post your experience to help and warn others.

Shalom, Shirl

Patient Handout

METOCLOPRAMIDE - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Reglan

Uses
    Metoclopramide is used to relieve certain stomach-and- esophagus problems such as diabetic gastroparesis and gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD).

Other Uses
    This medication may also be used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by other medications. It may be used for other purposes as determined by your doctor.

How to Take this Medication
    Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor. Metoclopramide works best when taken 30 minutes before a meal. Your dosage depends on your condition and response to the medication. Do not take this more often or in larger doses than prescribed by your doctor.

Side Effects
    Nausea, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, restlessness or sleeplessness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, inform your doctor. Notify your doctor if you experience: involuntary movements of the eyes/face/limbs, muscle spasms, trembling of the hands. Also, notify your doctor if you experience the following: any personality changes such as depression. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    Tell your doctor your medical history, especially: adrenal tumors, seizure disorders, Parkinson's disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, mental problems or depression, intestinal/stomach blockage or bleeding, diabetes, asthma, any allergies. Use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery. Alcoholic beverages can add to the drowsiness effect caused by this drug. Avoid alcohol while taking this medication. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using this drug. Metoclopramide is excreted into breast milk. Though there have been no reports (to date) of harm to nursing infants, consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Interactions
    Tell your doctor of all medicines you may use (both prescription and nonprescription), especially: cimetidine, insulin, cabergoline, cyclosporine, digoxin, levodopa, MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, selegiline), drugs that may add to the drowsiness effect of metoclopramide (narcotic pain medications, medications, tranquilizers, sleep medicines, antidepressants, drowsiness-causing antihistamines such as diphenhydramine), alcoholic beverages. Before having surgery with a general anesthetic, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist in charge you are taking metoclopramide. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include drowsiness; confusion; agitation; muscle restlessness; and unusual movement of eyes, face, or limbs.

Notes
    Do not share this medication with others.

Missed Dose
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.

Storage
    Store at room temperature between 68 and 78 degrees F (between 20 and 25 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not freeze liquid forms.

[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  3. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

but I appreciate that you took the time to post this warning. The information that Shirl posted as well. When I see the neuro this coming week I will ask him about all of this. I do not take Reglan often so maybe that is the difference? The side effects and precautions do not seem to be any worse than others I have read about on previous meds that I have taken over the years, but still....

I am usually good about researching a particular medication before I put it in my mouth so I know what to expect, but I do not recall ever having read about that before. The depression thing scares me, since I have been down that road before. I am sure that my doctor could prescribe something along the lines of Reglan but without the side effects. Couldn't he?

With thanks,
    ~A
  4. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

Hi gang and your welcome for the warning! I spent a little more time checking Reglan (metaclopramide) out on the web and my worries were only increased. If you do a search on Reglan and suicide it reveals a bevy of information. Also, the warning from the manufacturer directly states suicide and suicide ideation as well as the other 'ticks' like tardive dyskinesia which could very well be permanent. The following is a cut and paste from Rxlist.com website and is the same verbage as on the manufacturer's website.

--------------------
    Mental depression has occurred in patients with and without prior history of depression. Symptoms have ranged from mild to severe and have included suicidal ideation and suicide. Metoclopramide should be given to patients with a prior history of depression only if the expected benefits outweigh the potential risks.
    ----------------------

One thing it does state is that the symptoms and severity do seem to be related to duration which indicates occasional use might be o.k. I know that I'll personally never go near it again and flushed all I had down the toilet. Good luck!

Patricia