regular vs. decaf

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by asvyper, Sep 1, 2005.

1. asvyper

asvyper New Member

i read somewhere that you don't get as much antioxidant benefit from drinking decaf green tea than if you drink regular green tea. is this true?
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

When I saw the title, I thought of my morning coffee!!

I could almost smell my Folgers Decaf brewing!!

OH, SOOOOO GOOD!!!

(I must drink the decaf due to heart problems.)

The only time that I drink decaf tea is whenever I have a sore throat or cold, usually in the winter, for some reason.

Janet
  3. vickiw

vickiw Member

so I looked it up there. Here's what he says...

"The health benefits of tea are related to the polyphenols (catechins) it contains...

Two processes are used for decaffeinating tea. One, which makes use of the solvent ethyl acetate, retains only 30 percent of the polyphenols. The other is a preferable, natural process that uses only water and carbon dioxide and is called "effervescence." It retains 95 percent of the polyphenols. Be sure to check labels to see which process was used. If it isn't specified, you'll have to contact the manufacturer to find out.

As an alternative to buying decaf tea, you can remove most of the caffeine on your own with a very simple process recommended by In Pursuit of Tea (www.truetea.com), a company I respect. All you have to do is steep the tea for 45 seconds in hot water and then pour off the liquid. Next, add more hot water and steep as you normally would to brew a cup of that tea. Up to 80 percent of the caffeine is released in the first infusion of water so only minimal amounts will remain when you add water the second time. This method eliminates very little of the tea's flavor and aroma."

4. asvyper

asvyper New Member

thanks for the info!