Rejuvenating the Brain - How PQQ Powers Up Mental Processing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ProHealth, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

By Karen Lee Richards*

Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) may be the most important nutrient you've never heard of.

Don't feel bad if you don't know what PQQ is, though, because it's likely many healthcare professionals are not familiar with it either. It is only in the past decade that scientists have begun to understand this essential nutrient's importance to human life.

PQQ might be described as a defender and protector of the body's energy-generating mitochondria. Based on emerging research, it is:

• A highly effective antioxidant, many times more efficient in sustaining mitochrondrial energy production than other, commonly used antioxidant compounds.

• Virtually unique in its ability to stimulate the growth of fresh, new mitochondria.

• And a well-documented means of promoting improved memory, concentration, and mental alertness - especially taken in combination with coenzyme Q10.

Continue reading:
  2. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

I'm on my second bottle of PQQ and I'm still looking for any signs (of improvement). I will still continue on for a while, but I think a sledge hammer is needed. TN
  3. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

You may be interested in reading this excerpt from the article...

"When it comes to improving cognitive function and reversing mitochondrial dysfunction, PQQ and CoQ10 could aptly be called the dynamic duo.

While CoQ10 works to support optimum mitochondrial function, PQQ is busy encouraging the activation of genes that trigger mitochondrial reproduction, protection and repair.

A 2009 clinical trial in Japan clearly demonstrated this synergy. Middle-aged and elderly people who were given 20 mg per day of PQQ showed improvement in tests of higher cognitive function. However, the improvements were significantly amplified when the subjects also took 300 mg of CoQ10 each day. The researchers concluded that 20 mg of PQQ plus 300 mg of CoQ10 daily may support reversal of age-related cognitive decline in aging humans."

As always, make sure to check with your doctor before making any changes to your healthcare routine, especially if you have any pre-existing conditions.
  4. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

I will try that. Have currently found out I have low thyroid, so everything becomes more complicated. TN