RELAFEN AND ULTRAM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyoreblue02, Jun 2, 2006.

1. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I carried around a prescription for relafen and ultram for two weeks. I would not get it filled. I HATE meds.

The pain has gotten so unbearable I filled them today.

Has anyone here had relief from either of these drugs? I just took my first dose of each of them. What side effects have any of you had? I can't handle any more weight gain, so I'm praying that's not one of them for me.

Thanks,

Linda
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Ultram ER has made so much difference in my pain. It does not take it all away, but makes my body more bearable to habitate!

Good luck!

Kim
  3. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Kim,

thanks for your reply. I know the Relafen is an NSAID. The Ultram is the one I am hoping will provide some relief. I am supposed to take it 3x a day. I'm not experiencing any relief yet from the one I took a couple of hours ago. Maybe it needs to build up in my body for a few days first.

Linda
  4. jole

jole Member

Is what I've taken for pain for years. A little tip - my doc told me to take Ibuprofen with it. The Ibuprofen gives it a "kick-start" for the pain. I take 100 mg with 2 Ibuprofen every 6 hours. It helps, but when I'm having a flare it doesn't do as much as I'd like. You may not want to start as high though.

I don't have any side effects whatsoever, but like I said, you might want to try 50 mg with the Ibuprofen first, or whatever your prescription is for. Depends on your tolerance.

Hope you have good luck with it.

Friends - Jole
  5. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

thanks for the tip. my prescription is for 50 mg. every 8 hours. I take the relafen 2x a day. It is an NSAID so I guess it is a cousin to ibuprofen. That may be why the dr. prescribed it, the jump start.

Hugs,

Linda
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

I've been taking both drugs for about 7 years now! the relafen has been a really great aninflamitory! i was taking alot 1500 mg a day, now i'm down to 1 tab a day so yes i think it needs to get built up in your system to work good!

as far as i know there have been no side affectsfrom that one ! Ultram is a very effective pain reliever for me! but like Jole said it doesn't work to well during a flare! but then nothing does except the sleeping pill!!.............................I think you will do good with them ! there arn't any bad side affects from these 2 that i know of. all i know is if i don't have them i'm miserable!.....................................................goodluck God bless....................sisland
  7. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

sis, you're right about the sleeping pills! When I flare I take Tylenol pm. That's the only thing that relaxes me.

Greg, is the water therapy helping? I getting ready to start physical therapy again. Last time when I had it I would watch the other patients take water therapy, but I never have. Is the water hot? I would want it to be hot.

You guys are all sooo great! No one understands these things like my FM friends.

Linda
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

sorry to but in but i took water therapy for along time when i started therapy! it was really great the only exercise i could do without hurting after!.......................water temp was about 96 to 102 ! i need to start that up again!!............................sis
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

when I saw people doing the water therapy, they were in a sort of a tank. It was about chest deep and maybe four feet by four feet at the most. They would be walking on a treadmill type thing. Is this what you did, Sis? What about you, Greg?

I am waiting to hear from a new PT place. The therapist is also a Pilates instructor. She incorporates some Pilates into your therapy. I'm looking forward to this.

My dr treats in three ways. Supplements and meds; physical therapy and counseling. I am expecting to start cognitive behavior therapy later.

My life is spent trying to find ways to feel better. Sad, but true.

Thanks guys,

Linda
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

The water therapy i took was in a 4 to 5 foot deep pool and was made just for therapy! there were vairious degrees of exercises. walking in place mostly and alot of above the water arm rotations, some jogging in place ..............................................................and also walking from one end of the pool to the other. i'm guessing it was about 25 ft one way. also they had these jugs (like milk jugs) that you use and you would push them down under the water!..................................all sorts of fun stuff ! sounds like you have a great therapy person! You'll have fun!..............................sisland
    p.s. you have a very handsome boy there!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/02/2006]
  11. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Thanks for your responses. I am so looking forward to getting my therapy started again. It has been three years since I have had therapy. I try to do my at-home exercises and my husband helps me, but it is so hard to keep up. There always seems to be something else to do.

Thanks for the compliment on my son. He is my pride and joy. He is a wonderful young man and is such a help to me. He does little things like baking muffins and bringing me one on a silver tray before I get out of bed (last Saturday). He is such a sweetie.

Linda
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I use Ultram sometimes. It makes me sleepy. I have better luck with Tylenol Gel Caps.

I am on a drug called Subutex that keeps my fibro flares under control
  13. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I have never even heard of Subutex. I will ask my dr. about it when I go back to see her next month.

I prefer supplements over rx, but right now I'm in so much pain I'm having to do whatever it takes just to function.

There is not a part of my body that doesn't hurt at some point during the day. My pain is mostly in my upper body, but my legs are swelling and making them painful too.

Thanks for the mention of the drug. I am going to look into it.

Linda