Relapse Or Virus?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 2, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had a UTI recently and treated it myself with my Doxycycline successfully (knock on wood :) For about the last week, I've felt lousy with a sinus-like headache and I've been lethargic and running a low-grade fever. I've also been extremely sensitive to light and going outside makes me feel nauseated and dizzy. I know Doxy can cause photo sensitivity but it never has in me. I didn't know whether the UTI threw me into a relapse or whether I had something. I just heard from Nanna that it is a bug going around and that she has had it.

Well, today, I got up with an even worse headache from hell and diarrhea to match--classic Herxing. I've been to the john five times and am sweating profusely. Either the Doxy caused a huge dieoff or my own immune system is on a killing spree. I kind of think it's the latter as it would be awfully late for a Herx from the Doxy. My new and improved immune system seems to be very vigilant and I have avoided getting sick even after I've been around sick people; however, when I do get sick, my immune system goes after whatever I have like gangbusters (or should I say, Germbusters :) I know that the probiotics, colostrum, whey, and transfer factors have really helped build my own immune system back up.

I was in complete remission before the UTI struck. I am hoping that once this clears up, I will get back to feeling better. One of the worst things about our illnesses is not knowing what is causing us to feel lousy. Had this kept up, I would have seen the doc as I don't think we can assume new symptoms are related to our illnesses. Just wanted to post this in case anyone else gets this bug and wonders what it is. Main symptoms have been loss of appetite, sensitivity to bright light, ongoing headache which may feel like a sinus headache, and lethargy and fatigue.

Y'all are always in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  2. jole

jole Member

Thanks for the post, and hope you are all better by now. This does sound like a bug to me, but who knows?

Wishing you the best!
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

One month ago I had what seemed like the flu. I was as sick as I've ever been and, of course, wondered if it was a virus or a crash. I still don't know except I do know that we seem to take longer than most people to recover from illness aside from CFS/FM and that was my doctor's opinion recently too.

For your sake, I hope you're just meandering along toward better health again.

Marta
  4. clerty

clerty New Member

I am sorry poor you I hope you recover soon
    ((((hugs)))

Clertyx
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hopefully this is indeed a manifestation of your New and Improved immune system, and after you're done with this you'll be in good shape. Please write back and let us know.

Best, Lisa
  6. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

So sorry to hear of your setback. Clear Tract powder (d-Mannose) from Discover Nutrition online is great for preventing UTI's and even clearing them up. I got this helpful tip from Dr. Teitelbaum's book on d-Mannose, and it really works.

I find I am most suceptible to UTI's when I'm run down. I think this is just a symptom of an overburdened immune system.

I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,

CherylSue
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate all your good wishes and suggestions. I am exhausted but did a little sewing today, the easy part. I'll tackle the more complex part when I'm feeling better.

I'll check out the OTC stuff for UTI's.

I'm not on the antihistamines right now. Pollen has fallen off and we've had no Red Tide outbreaks lately (knock on wood :)

Again thank you all so very much. I'll let y'all know how this turns out. I hope it is a bug that is gone or on its way out. I've stopped sweating and no longer feel hot. I'm just extremely tired this evening. Too bad because I was invited to a neighbor's for her daughter's birthday cake.

Love, Mikie
  8. clerty

clerty New Member

remember plenty water

Clertyx
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll think about it. Isn't it strange the kinds of things which seem to help us. Our illnesses are so odd.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Today is like a typical "day two" of Herxing. I'm still feeling a tad hot and sweaty but the headache is almost gone as is the diarrhea (there's probably nothing left :) I'm hoping this means that whatever bug this was is leaving town and that I'll feel better.

I'm trying to make a box-pleated valance for over the sliding glass doors to my lanai (FL and Hawaii are the only two places I've been which use this word to describe one's patio or balcony. I work on them a little each day so I don't feel as though I've gotten nothing done. I may get them finished up today; I hope so. They are beautiful. Penney's wanted $650 to make one and that was at 60 percent off! I have about $85 in material with a lot of fabric left over for matching pillows. I got most everything on sale at Joanne's or I used the coupon in the Sunday newspaper. I love that place. I haven't sewn in years and years and this is giving me a lot of pleasure even if everything I do goes very slowly. God is teaching me patience.

Prayer for Patience: God, give me patience; give it to me NOW!

Love, Mikie
  11. kbak

kbak Member

Sorry to hear yur not doing well. I use to have problem's with UTI's, very annoying! A couple things that made a HUGE difference for me are, 1: D-Mannose. It keeps the wall of your urinary tract slick so bacteria don't stick well.

2: A tad more delicate. I found that I was always having problems after sex. The main problem being my hubby touching certain delicate parts. For whatever reason, it would start a problem. Even if his hands were super clean, didn't make a difference.

Once I stopped that, no more problems. Haven't had a UTI in ages. Ya, major bummer, but gotta do what ya gotta do. This being sick is work! Hope you have better days.

kbak
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll give that a try, the D-Mannose, not the sex :)

It was definitely a bug. I felt much better this afternoon and was outside and able to tolerate the light.

Thank you all again so very much for your concern and support. I hope to be able to get back into remission because I know my regimen has helped me and, at least parts of it, may help others.

Love, Mikie
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You are so sweet. I really appreciate your kindness. I started feeling really well last night. I stayed up and watched TV til midnight and got up at 7:00 feeling well. I can't go to water aerobics, though, because the air is filled with smoke and ask from brush fires and the health dept. is telling people to stay in. It will probably clear later when the afternoon breezes blow it away.

Love, Mikie
  14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I was really bummed out that you were sick again because I was excited that you were in remission.

Do check out that Clear Tract Powder (D-Mannose.) It works 100%,

Love,

CherylSue