Relationship between B12 and folate/folic acid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jul 27, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Because I’ve been doing Freddd’s protocol involving B12 and folate, I began to wonder what exactly was the relationship between B12 and folate.

Here’s a very interesting article re the relationship between folate and B12, and how an excess of folate combined with a deficiency of B12 can cause severe problems. It’s rather technical but I just skimmed it to get the main points. There are suggestions that all the supplementation of our food, particularly grains, with folic acid may actually be causing problems when there is a B12 deficiency, which is not uncommon. It really makes me wonder how many of the people on this board with neurological problems may actually be suffering from B12 deficiency, exacerbated by an excess of folate.

Here’s an excerpt from the article:

“The tabulated data show that having low vitamin B-12 status, regardless of serum folate, was associated with a significantly increased prevalence of both anemia and cognitive impairment. Furthermore, compared with having normal status for both vitamins, having high serum folate but normal vitamin B-12 status was associated with a reduced prevalence of anemia and a significantly reduced prevalence of cognitive impairment. The worst combination was low vitamin B-12 status and high serum folate. Specifically, anemia and cognitive impairment were observed ?5 times as often in the group with that combination as in the group with normal vitamin B-12 status and normal serum folate.

“These data represent important epidemiologic evidence of an adverse interaction between high folate status and low vitamin B-12 status. Consequently, they seem to support the idea that the neuropsychiatric consequences of vitamin B-12 deficiency are exacerbated by high folate status.”

Moderators: I got permission to post the link - here’s what the owner of the copyright said:

Electronic distribution of full-text articles should be processed either as an electronic reprint (ePrint) or by posting a link to the article on the ASN journal website. The American Society for Nutrition has no formal policy on posting links to its websites, including The Journal of Nutrition, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, and Advances in Nutrition: An International Review Journal sites. It is therefore acceptable to link to ASN journal websites.

2. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I'm going to have to read this article over and over to really "get it."

Thanks Mary!

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks so much for getting permission to reproduce the article and letting us know. It certainly makes our jobs easier.

Love, Mikie